Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 09:32 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a 3/4 day boat and thought I would give everyone an update on the fishing off the coast.

The water is warm and the fish are biting. We were just a few miles off the coast of the Coronado Islands this morning when we got our first strike. Dorado and Yellow tail. Yellowtail were kind of small but abundant enough to make it interesting. By mid day we went further south, about 15 miles south of the islands and got some yellowfin tuna. Good size fish. We continued to get nice Dorado as well. A couple schools of skipjack as well, which is kind of at the lower rung of the ladder when it comes to tuna. But fun to catch and tolerable to eat.

The weather was great and the sea wasn't that bad.

If you get the chance in the next few months, take a sportfishing trip. Make sure it is at least a 3/4 day boat though. The half day boats don't go out that far and are doing mostly bottom fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 10:00 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Best fishing in 10-15 years! Not digging the Skippies already. That could mean it shuts down soon but who knows this year with Wahoo caught local, plus a random chicken here and there.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:49 PM

70 posts, read 127,982 times
Do you suggest any place I can take my kids fishing without having to go on a boat out to sea? I used to go when I was younger but in the LA area. Don't know where to go here.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supagyrl88 View Post
Do you suggest any place I can take my kids fishing without having to go on a boat out to sea? I used to go when I was younger but in the LA area. Don't know where to go here.
Good question. You can fish from any public pier without a fishing license. I would suggest the Shelter Island pier in San Diego bay for fun fishing and just relaxing for the inexperienced. Crystal pier in Pacific Beach if you are looking for something a little bit bigger from the ocean.

Also, I think kids under 16 can fish for free anywhere on the shore. Mission bay is nice in the evening. Ventura cove to be exact, right under the West Mission Bay bridge. I used to fish there with my dad many years ago.

Fishing from any of these locations can be done with a basic fishing pole and a spinning reel. Hook and sinker fishing. Talk to the clerks at the bait and tackle stores and they'll tell you what to use for bait depending on where you go.

Stay away from surf fishing unless you know what you're doing.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:19 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
I wish I didn't get seasick or I'd be out there.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:13 AM

Dramamine and Bonine work well. I have been fishing my whole life and a stint in the Navy and I still use dramamine when I go out on a smaller boat. The trick is to take it before you get sick and at least an hour before you get on the boat.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:24 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I wish I didn't get seasick or I'd be out there.
Beer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego