Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 09:44 PM

42 posts, read 66,282 times

Advertisements

Hi - I plan to move to SD within the next couple of months. Meanwhile, have been surfing the options on Craigslist for a space/place to live. It seems that many are asking $800-1200 plus utilities for a room, some with private bathrooms, to be shared within their 2-4 BR apt, condo or home. Meanwhile, I see a large # of 2 and 3 br apts and homes with several baths for rent at significantly less than two or three times that amount in many good neighborhoods within an easy commute from anywhere in metro SD. I'm thinking it would behoove me to rent a place and rent out the rooms myself. I would be able to do this as long as I could be fairly confident there would be a good response to the rental ads and that I would have it all rented within a few months. I would have the say in terms of pets/people's habits and first dibs on the room I would take. The offset would be that I would probably need to furnish the shared spaces, at least partially, not to mention the hassle of screening people. If it's a house, I'd be concerned about liability but with an apt I could put them on the lease and have them give their share of the security. I am a non-drinker, non-smoker and would want the same in a housemate. Not to mention that I have cats, and would prefer to keep it a cat-only home. I have seen all of these criteria in ads for rooms, so I could find that too. But if I'm renting a place at $12-1400, and I've seen several good options, I'm not going to charge $8-900 for one of the rooms. Or should I? I would think a reasonable price would attract more potential renters. Would be curious what are the thoughts of those more in the know than I am as to the rental situation in SD and if anyone has done this or currently rents out space to others. Mahalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego