Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:01 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,435 times

Advertisements

It's no secret that San Diegans tend to drive extremely fast. Some might even say that they drive inconsiderately, wrecklessly and dangerously.

I don't think there is much of an arguement against this. San Diego and Southern California have a nationwide reputation for it. So I want to ask the question to my fellow San Diegans, why do people around here drive like this?

I drive about 65, trying to be safe and not get myself, or anyone else killed. And people will almost rear-end me before swerving around me at like 85, cut me off, give me dirty looks for not driving fast enough etc.

I think that the way people drive here is totally unessesary and it is one of mybiggest pet peeves about this city. SLOW DOWN! Your car is not a toy, this isn't a video game, if you crash, you might kill yourself or a child in another car. BE MORE CAREFUL!!!

I just saw an enormous freeway accident on the 8 this morning, near La Mesa. And right before it happened, I noticed how a pack of cars were crowding/tailgating each other at about 80 mph. Then one car made a wrong move and surprise, surprise, they all crashed into each other. Looked pretty serious too, I hope nobody got killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 09:12 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Everyone's more important than the next guy and doesn't have a second to spare.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:20 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That does seem to be the general mindset in this city.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:41 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
It's no secret that San Diegans tend to drive extremely fast. Some might even say that they drive inconsiderately, wrecklessly and dangerously.

I don't think there is much of an arguement against this. San Diego and Southern California have a nationwide reputation for it. So I want to ask the question to my fellow San Diegans, why do people around here drive like this?

I drive about 65, trying to be safe and not get myself, or anyone else killed. And people will almost rear-end me before swerving around me at like 85, cut me off, give me dirty looks for not driving fast enough etc.

I think that the way people drive here is totally unessesary and it is one of mybiggest pet peeves about this city. SLOW DOWN! Your car is not a toy, this isn't a video game, if you crash, you might kill yourself or a child in another car. BE MORE CAREFUL!!!

I just saw an enormous freeway accident on the 8 this morning, near La Mesa. And right before it happened, I noticed how a pack of cars were crowding/tailgating each other at about 80 mph. Then one car made a wrong move and surprise, surprise, they all crashed into each other. Looked pretty serious too, I hope nobody got killed.
When those people are passing you at 85 and give you dirty looks for not driving fast enogh you are driving in the slow lane right? Because in California the slower traffic always drives in the far right lanes. In California you need to follow the flow of traffic. If you had been in the fast lane I would think that they would look at you with a dirty look. It is great that people like to drive safe. I have a family and would do nothing to place my kids in danger. When driving the speed limit I also limit myself to the far right lane. When I am in my car thogh and the kids are not with me I usually drive at a faster clip than most. My car can drive faster than most and I like the ability to do that. I also realize the consequences of my actions. At the same time it upsets me when some body is in the fast lane going 65 when everyone in the fast lane is driving 80 or more.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:49 PM

240 posts, read 888,923 times
My question is why do people so often complain about the drivers in any given city? It's one of the most lame things to complain about and it makes you sound very provincial.

Out of all of the cities in the U.S. with a population of over 1 million, San Diego is actually the 2nd safest city in the country in terms of the number of car accidents per capita.

http://media.allstate.com/releases/4293-3rd-annual-allstate-america (broken link)

Old 12-30-2007, 08:05 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,122,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I totally agree with this. It seems to be the prevalent attitude amongst people in general - not only when driving.

I must be of a provincial mind, too, because I complain about and abhor inconsiderate, obnoxious and dangerous drivers. When I've just been cut off in the slow lane (yeah - it happened yesterday), I get p*ssed.

I am more concerned about the "dangerous" drivers. You can be a careful, defensive driver driving in the whatever lane is "approrpriate" to your speed, but some careless drvier who is in such a blasted hurry can cause insurmountable harm & damage to others on the road.

FWIW, I've driven 70-75mph in a middle lane and received dirty looks, passing on the right, the finger, etc.. because I wasn't going faster. How fast is one supposed to go to satisfy drivers with a penchant for speed?

Old 12-30-2007, 09:19 AM

840 posts, read 6,514,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
When those people are passing you at 85 and give you dirty looks for not driving fast enogh you are driving in the slow lane right? Because in California the slower traffic always drives in the far right lanes. In California you need to follow the flow of traffic.
I agree, I always try to drive with the flow of traffic in California, SoCal especially. You can go 75-80 mph and still get passed up.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:39 AM

31 posts, read 142,927 times
I don't think crazy driving is unique to San Diego. I have driven all over the country and it happens everywhere. NYC, Boston, and LA YIKES! I think it is just that people are so busy, usually running late and unfortuanately feel anonimous in their cars and they behave in a rude and aggressive way that they would not act in other situations. The best advise is the advise I gave my kids when they started to drive and that is...You have to drive defensively, as if the other drivers are idiots, because they probably are.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:58 PM

840 posts, read 6,514,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KQSellsHomes View Post
I don't think crazy driving is unique to San Diego. I have driven all over the country and it happens everywhere. NYC, Boston, and LA YIKES! I think it is just that people are so busy, usually running late and unfortuanately feel anonimous in their cars and they behave in a rude and aggressive way that they would not act in other situations. The best advise is the advise I gave my kids when they started to drive and that is...You have to drive defensively, as if the other drivers are idiots, because they probably are.
So what's the excuse for poor driving in small towns? I understand big cities are always busy and people need to get from point A to point B in a certain amount of time. The two small towns I have lived in in Oregon don't have valid excuses for poor driving. I'm glad I learned how to drive in San Diego. One member here, I can't remember who, said drivers in SoCal are like fighter pilots of driving. It takes great defensive driving skills to commute anywhere in Southern California.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:21 PM

1,536 posts, read 1,482,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

I have a family and would do nothing to place my kids in danger. When driving the speed limit I also limit myself to the far right lane. When I am in my car thogh and the kids are not with me I usually drive at a faster clip than most. My car can drive faster than most and I like the ability to do that. I also realize the consequences of my actions.

I guess it's all about you then. When your kids aren't around you put the pedal to the medal. Screw the other drivers and THEIR kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego