Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:24 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,632,219 times

Advertisements

I've never really considered SDSU to be in the suburbs. I go there now. You can walk a long distance from the campus. In the suburbs, it isn't like that. When I think of suburbia, I think of cookie cutter homes. The north side of the 8 freeway across from SDSU is definetly suburbia, but the area to the south and west most definitely isn't. The trolley stops at SDSU and continues to downtown to the west and Santee to the east. To get to the beach, you take the trolley to Old Town and then catch the bus you want there. SDSU has several bus routes that go different places as well including a new Rapid Transit line. There are a lot of commuter students because SDSU takes in a lot of transfer students from the local community colleges. They also have a lot of on campus dorms and off campus apartments nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 10:47 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times
I would say it's similar to the more built-out areas of the valley, i.e. Northridge is a good proxy. Given the housing stock was built to accomodate a few thousand residents and now there are tens of thousands living in the area, it qualifies as urban, albeit without most of the built environment (apartment buildings, multi-story bulidings) most people associate with an urban area.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:57 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewme18 View Post
How long does it take to get to downtown?

I wish it was. :/
There are a couple of different ways to get downtown. A lot of people simply ride the trolley all the way but that can take a while as there are a lot of stops. If you check the schedules and plan it, take the bus that goes to El Cajon blvd. The 15 I think it is. Transfer at the Boulevard Transit center next to I-15 and take the 235. Let's you off right at City College and there is only one stop between there on University. Besides that, it stays on the freeway until downtown.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:55 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,035,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
There are a couple of different ways to get downtown. A lot of people simply ride the trolley all the way but that can take a while as there are a lot of stops. If you check the schedules and plan it, take the bus that goes to El Cajon blvd. The 15 I think it is. Transfer at the Boulevard Transit center next to I-15 and take the 235. Let's you off right at City College and there is only one stop between there on University. Besides that, it stays on the freeway until downtown.
It's nowhere near that complicated.

The #11 bus goes from SDSU along Adams, though Hillcrest, through bankers hill, and into downtown. You can hop off it at 30th to access North Park, and it goes through lots of great areas and takes you to walking distance of balboa park (based on the assumption that a college-age bus rider is up for walking few blocks) No transfers. I was taking that bus 10 years ago and it's still running. Also, the rapid bus service between SDSU and downtown just started.

http://www.sdmts.com/RouteFiles/images/maps/view/11.gif

SANDAG :: PROJECTS :: San Diego's Regional Planning Agency

http://www.sdmts.com/marketing/images/215.gif

Last edited by Jenkay; 10-13-2014 at 03:05 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 03:36 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I would say it's similar to the more built-out areas of the valley, i.e. Northridge is a good proxy. Given the housing stock was built to accomodate a few thousand residents and now there are tens of thousands living in the area, it qualifies as urban, albeit without most of the built environment (apartment buildings, multi-story bulidings) most people associate with an urban area.
Sounds kind of like the worst of both worlds.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:12 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,744,290 times
When I think of an urban campus, I picture Georgetown, Columbia, Penn, Harvard, among others. SDSU, not so much.

This project currently under construction might change the campus setting in the future.

South Campus Plaza Construction Begins This Month At SDSU | KPBS

Old 10-14-2014, 06:16 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,533,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
I've never really considered SDSU to be in the suburbs. I go there now. You can walk a long distance from the campus. In the suburbs, it isn't like that. When I think of suburbia, I think of cookie cutter homes. The north side of the 8 freeway across from SDSU is definetly suburbia, but the area to the south and west most definitely isn't. The trolley stops at SDSU and continues to downtown to the west and Santee to the east. To get to the beach, you take the trolley to Old Town and then catch the bus you want there. SDSU has several bus routes that go different places as well including a new Rapid Transit line. There are a lot of commuter students because SDSU takes in a lot of transfer students from the local community colleges. They also have a lot of on campus dorms and off campus apartments nearby.
I went to grad school at SDSU in the late 7O's when it was still possible to park on one of the residential sidestreets off College & walk about a mile into campus. Those streets were/are lined with lookalike, mid-century, stucco, 2 or 3 bedroom houses. The houses are still there. They are still lived in. That is the quintessential definition of suburbia. As others have mentioned, an urban campus is different, ex. Yale, Harvard, Columbia.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:48 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times
FYI - Nearly 60,000 people live in the 92115 zip code.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:54 AM

403 posts, read 598,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Sounds kind of like the worst of both worlds.
Yeah..

Old 10-18-2014, 10:40 PM

403 posts, read 598,259 times
Are there clubs or at least bars in the SDSU campus area? Or are they all downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego