Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 03:32 AM

94 posts, read 131,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
This has to do with the topic........... How?
just saying there are better parts to live in SD other than NC.
Mission Valley is right on the center of everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 11:36 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,003,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodster View Post
just saying there are better parts to live in SD other than NC.
Mission Valley is right on the center of everything.
Yes, but the OP asked specifically about National city. It's not like you offered up mission valley as an alternative and made comparisons to to NC show why you think it would be a better place for the OP to live while still addressing the fact that they specifically stated they need to be close to the base.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:40 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,003,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Since you ask...Access to tons of shopping and restaurant options and all in a nice central location. Oh and much nicer than National city.

Only chain stores and restaurants and big shopping malls, not easy to get in and out of on a bike, not walkable, and only large corporate apartment complexes. All things that I very specifically avoid. I'd never ever want to live in mission valley if I could help it. In fact, I would strenuously disagree that Mission Valley is the best place to live, as the other poster suggested.

So saying someplace is "better" or "nicer" is completely subjective.

Not to mention that the only stipulation the OP offered up was that they wanted to be close to the base, so vague suggestions of where is "better" or "nicer" are pretty much irrelevant unless the OP's needs and preferences are addressed.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:48 AM

15,111 posts, read 32,137,448 times
There are no big shopping mails like Fashion Valley in National City, but there are numerous other chain stores there that are everywhere else, along with the ethnic markets.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:43 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,407,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
There are no big shopping mails like Fashion Valley in National City, but there are numerous other chain stores there that are everywhere else, along with the ethnic markets.
Moved;369 is right: there are some pretty good ethnic markets in National City. There is also an abundance of mom-and-pop Mexican restaurants. One of them is Casa de Oro on Sweetwater Road. The food is good, and the tortillas are FANTASTIC.

Last week I had breakfast there and noticed an elderly woman making the best tortillas ever. (See pic, below.) I'm not sure why they taste so good . . . maybe she adds lard. Nevertheless, I would recommend them.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:24 PM

It all depends on what the OP and her husband want. National City isn't a "quaint, charming, hip, and upcoming area", but it's close to the base, and that's apparently what they want.

My neighborhood isn't either, but when I work at the Convention Center, I can be there in 20 minutes, from the time that I get on the bus (five minute walk from my apartment), including taking the green line, to the time that I sign in.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:51 PM

9,782 posts, read 11,439,876 times
Ill tell you this, "National City has some of the best Mom & Pop Ethnic owned Restaurants in San Diego County"
I'm not going to even comment on on the "Bomb" lunch Trucks
National City has come a long, long way and has some nice parts. Even The parts that are not nice Are not Dangerous, they are just not nice looking Houses Imo.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Ill tell you this, "National City has some of the best Mom & Pop Ethnic owned Restaurants in San Diego County"
I'm not going to even comment on on the "Bomb" lunch Trucks
National City has come a long, long way and has some nice parts. Even The parts that are not nice Are not Dangerous, they are just not nice looking Houses Imo.
This is true.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:01 PM

3,289 posts, read 3,765,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
Moved;369 is right: there are some pretty good ethnic markets in National City. There is also an abundance of mom-and-pop Mexican restaurants. One of them is Casa de Oro on Sweetwater Road. The food is good, and the tortillas are FANTASTIC.

Last week I had breakfast there and noticed an elderly woman making the best tortillas ever. (See pic, below.) I'm not sure why they taste so good . . . maybe she adds lard. Nevertheless, I would recommend them.

I think National City got stuck with a bad reputation from years back. Much of the area is not bad at all. When I went to eat Chinese Food, the restaurant was just 85% Filipino families. I was sitting next to an 80 year old couple, how dangerous is that? lol

I have been discovering more places there since I have been invited to many Filipino parties in the area. There are actually some nice, calm neighborhoods with huge well kept houses, especially up in the hilly areas.

I went to the National City swap meet and discovered this little hole in the wall taco place- wow, the BEST birria I have ever had! They have a small menu and focus mostly on tacos (buche, cabeza, birria, etc...)

I love moving around SD and discovering new places. I feel comfortable just about anywhere. I love fancy dining, expensive gourmet coffee and swap meets and hole in the wall mom and pop places all the same.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:16 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,691,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I think National City got stuck with a bad reputation from years back. Much of the area is not bad at all. When I went to eat Chinese Food, the restaurant was just 85% Filipino families. I was sitting next to an 80 year old couple, how dangerous is that? lol

I have been discovering more places there since I have been invited to many Filipino parties in the area. There are actually some nice, calm neighborhoods with huge well kept houses, especially up in the hilly areas.

I went to the National City swap meet and discovered this little hole in the wall taco place- wow, the BEST birria I have ever had! They have a small menu and focus mostly on tacos (buche, cabeza, birria, etc...)

I love moving around SD and discovering new places. I feel comfortable just about anywhere. I love fancy dining, expensive gourmet coffee and swap meets and hole in the wall mom and pop places all the same.
Great post. Are you talking about the salt and pepper (or is it salted pepper) chicken wings at Royal Mandarin or Golden Chopstix? That stuff is like crack..LOL I love the menudo at Tita's Kitchenette. Tacos El Gordo on Highland? Yes, please (Although the one in CV seems to be better. Let's not forget about Niederfrank's for ice cream.

And yes, there are some nice streets near Sweetwater High School, that could be mistaken for Kensington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego