Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 08:56 AM

7,363 posts, read 12,611,804 times

Advertisements

For local history, be sure to visit Old Town, Presidio Hill, the Father Serra Museum, and the San Diego Mission. Balboa Park is also a must with its nationally renowned museums, a less known museum is the San Diego History Museum (exact title?).
In February there will be ornamental fruit trees in bloom, and in late Feb whole hillsides inland will be covered with blooming purple trailing iceplants. A lovely time to visit! Unless you get 3 solid weeks of rain, which can happen. All depending on what you're used to, it may be too cold for swimming in the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 12:09 PM

1,038 posts, read 780,421 times
A visit to Torrey Pines State Park is a great way to see a beautiful part of the San Diego coastline. It's a moderately strenuous hike from the parking lot to the top, but then a hike down the Beach Trail and back along the beach to the parking lot is a quintessential SD hike. If too strenuous, one can drive to a parking lot on the top and take flat hikes around the top of the mesa.

Top it off with a trip to Roberto's Taco Shop for a California Burrito or some fish tacos (two SD local specialties) with a great view of the Torrey Pines Mesa (and perhaps the sunset if the right time).

Enjoy your visit to SD!

Old 11-24-2014, 04:30 PM

8 posts, read 6,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Beware "Dirt Cheap Car Rentals" and their ilk. They will possibly nickel-and-dime you to a huge bill. Be sure mileage isn't an added charge, which is how they will get your money.
Their website gives 2800 free miles for the month for an older economy car for $549, $649 for 4 door sedan unltd miles - either option seems fair, I don't think we'll need cumulatively over 100 miles per day - warning taken tho, i'll inquire about extra mileage, maybe the $649 is the better deal, although we're right on Island Dr, Mission Beach, I've google mapped it, its tight parking, the smaller the car, the better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
For local history, be sure to visit Old Town, Presidio Hill, the Father Serra Museum, and the San Diego Mission. Balboa Park is also a must with its nationally renowned museums, a less known museum is the San Diego History Museum (exact title?).
In February there will be ornamental fruit trees in bloom, and in late Feb whole hillsides inland will be covered with blooming purple trailing iceplants. A lovely time to visit! Unless you get 3 solid weeks of rain, which can happen. All depending on what you're used to, it may be too cold for swimming in the ocean.
Thanks, all those rainy days, nice to have a back up museum plan or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
A visit to Torrey Pines State Park is a great way to see a beautiful part of the San Diego coastline. It's a moderately strenuous hike from the parking lot to the top, but then a hike down the Beach Trail and back along the beach to the parking lot is a quintessential SD hike. If too strenuous, one can drive to a parking lot on the top and take flat hikes around the top of the mesa.

Top it off with a trip to Roberto's Taco Shop for a California Burrito or some fish tacos (two SD local specialties) with a great view of the Torrey Pines Mesa (and perhaps the sunset if the right time).

Enjoy your visit to SD!

Good stuff, the hike should be fine, so Roberto's is a good spot for authentic local cuisine eh? Fish tacos, Mmmmmmmmm ... kinda reminds me of the movie "I Love You Man" with Paul Rudd and Jason Seigal (although that was LA but still) OK We'll try both fish tacos AND Buritos ... is Roberto's the best for Mexican food? I'll do some checking. Thanks ...

Old 11-27-2014, 09:05 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,017,318 times
Just so you know, blooms like that in the desert are fairly rare and totally dependant on the amount and timing of rain in the months prior. Anza-Borrego desert state park is still an amazing place to visit, and a favorite haunt of mine, but I don't want you to get too excited about the wildflowers

Also, joshua tree is a bit of a drive, but if you're here for a month it's worth maybe finding an air bnb out at twentynine palms just outside the park so you can spend a day exploring and not have to drive 3 hours home. It's pretty spectacular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego