Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 08:24 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,665 times

Advertisements

Let's take an honest look at what SD is really all about, and what makes this city.

This is a college town, with at least 8 big colleges (not sure exactly how many, including community colleges) it's full of college kids.

This is a military town, full of young soldiers.

This is a border town, a short jump to and from Tijauna, which i've heard many call "The Las Vegas of Mexico". Full of whorehouses and every other vice.

This is a tourist, beach city. People flood here, especially in the summer with one thing in mind, partying and getting wild.

This is a So-Cal city, heavily influenced by LA, Hollywood and that whole scene of shallow glamour and celebrity.

All of these elements make up what SD is, and the culture around here has formed around these things. This vibe around here is all about the party. Sex, drugs and getting drunk. And let me tell you, if you are looking for sex it is VERY easy around here, the people are kinda nasty like that.

So if you want all that (and even if you do, you probobly won't admit it aloud) then this city is great. A nice place for a young person that just wants to go crazy, or someone that's all about clubbing and that whole scene. But if you want a more decent, laid back life with depth and substance, look elsewhere.

I moved here thinking I could live an outdoorsy, artistic, peaceful sort of life with beautiful weather. I was very wrong indeed. Sure, I CAN live this life here, but almost nobody else here is in that mindset and SD is so overdeveloped and sprawled, there's not much nature left to enjoy. And I deal with overcrowding and garbage at just about every natural place I visit. Only small groups of people here are really spiritual and down to Earth, usually people who JUST moved here too and havn't gotten sucked into the party masquerade yet. I've met many kind and innocent folks that turn into disconnected, dangerous party animals here, sometimes even going into the realm of a full-blown addict. This city is full of very bad influences and strong temptations towards the dark side.

Unless of course you are privelaged enough to live in one of the posh neighborhoods here. But most of this city is straight up scummy.

Now where's the cheap drinks at tonight? I'm sure you all know exactly where to go for that....Now gel up that hair, put on your make-up and go spread those STDs......and I say this because San Diego does have an EXTREMELY high STD rate, including HIV, sorry to rain on your parade.

Last edited by FunkyMonk; 01-02-2008 at 08:42 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 08:27 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I moved here thinking I could live an outdoorsy, artistic, peaceful sort of life with beautiful weather. I was very wrong indeed. Sure, I CAN live this life here, but almost nobody else here is in that mindset, and I deal with overcrowding at every natural place I visit. Only small groups of people here are really spiritual and down to Earth, usually people who JUST moved here too and havn't gotten sucked into the party masquerade yet.
You need to move away from the beach.

What natural places are you going where there is overcrowding? I go to the backcountry sometimes and never see another person.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
You need to move away from the beach.

What natural places are you going where there is overcrowding? I go to the backcountry sometimes and never see another person.
I actually don't live by the beach, I have lived in about 7 locations all around the city since 03 and it's the same thing all over. I keep encountering the same mindless, party attitude where cheap thrills and instant material gratification are what it's all about. Fancy cars, hot women, designer clothes, we all know exactly what i'm talking about. And it's a sin to say anything too deep or intelligent. Just smile and be fashionable.....

This vibe is stronger in the beach areas of course, but i've even found it to really be like that in East County and other outskirt areas too. The style of the people and the vibe changes, but there are certain things going on that stretch across the area all the way. This is frustrating to me, because there's a conformity that gos all over this place. It like the diversity and variety of culture that other cities have doesnt exist here, because so many people just want to do that "So-Cal thing" and conform to it all the way.

In SD, the neighborhoods all look different and on the surface, have a different style, and tend to attract different types of people. But i've found the vibe and mindset of the people to be fairly homogenous from one part to another with only slight variation. The materialism is really pervasive across all parts of this city and people around here seem to feel the need to conform to this polished, plastic way of life.

Natural places with overcrowding? The beaches are infamous of course, Mission Trails, Lake Murray, just about every smaller park in the city, Coronado. Just about any place within the SD metro area. Not as bad in the winter, but in the summer this place is a madhouse. I know that this is probobly normal for a city of this size, but in SD it seems worse than usual. But it's no secret that SD is overpopulated and also nearly EVERYONE around here drives which makes the traffic horrible sometimes. Bicycling isn't cool around here, it smears mascara and ruins hair gel, so it's not in fashion.

The only way I can really feel like i'm with mother nature is to drive way out past Viejas. But yes I know, many other cities are sprawled just the same. In SD however, there is almost NO open space at all. The development as of late around here has been too much, too fast, with no regard for the environment. It's all owned, sectioned off and capitalized on. Even the parks are almost all neatly cut and and manicured. Mission Trails is the only one that is still pretty decent. It's too bad the natural places inside SD are getting spoiled.

If I came to SD just recently, I might just take the city at face value. But i've had to see it slowly get ruined over the years. The development around here was carried out based on profits, greed and money/land grabs by developers. Similar to what happened in Tucson, AZ or Los Angeles.

If you think that i'm the only one who thinks this way, check out the other city groups on this site. Almost every other state slams Cali for being overcrowded, rude, materialistic, shallow, plastic, expensive, elitist and many more undesirable things. Almost every city, especially Western cities, are full of people who ESCAPED Cali for many of the reasons i've mentioned. Are we all just crazy? I don't think so. But I guess it's all about where you came from orginally and how much BS you're willing to put up with.

Last edited by FunkyMonk; 01-02-2008 at 09:29 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Natural places with overcrowding? The beaches are infamous of course, Mission Trails, Lake Murray, just about every smaller park in the city, Coronado. Just about any place within the SD metro area. I know that this is probobly normal for a city, but in SD it seems worse than usual. But it's no secret that SD is overpopulated.
I just got back from NYC for the holiday, can't say I agree with you, but whatever.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I just got back from NYC for the holiday, can't say I agree with you, but whatever.
Well of course. NYC is the most overcrowded bunch of chaos in America. This is no surprise at all.

It always makes me laugh when people compare SD to NYC and say "Look SD is better!". Of course SD is better than NYC, every place is......

Try comparing SD to a city of comparable size.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Try comparing SD to a city of comparable size.
Like Philly or Boston?

Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 PM

3 posts, read 29,930 times
Default We

Quote:
Let's take an honest look at what SD is really all about, and what makes this city.

This is a college town, with at least 8 big colleges (not sure exactly how many, including community colleges) it's full of college kids.

This is a border town, a short jump to and from Tijauna, which i've heard many call "The Las Vegas of Mexico". Full of whorehouses and every other vice.

This is a tourist, beach city. People flood here, especially in the summer with one thing in mind, partying and getting wild.

This is a So-Cal city, heavily influenced by LA, Hollywood and that whole scene of shallow glamour and celebrity.

All of these elements make up what SD is, and the culture around here has formed around these things. This vibe around here is all about the party. Sex, drugs and getting drunk. And let me tell you, if you are looking for sex it is VERY easy around here, the people are kinda nasty like that.

So if you want all that (and even if you do, you probobly won't admit it aloud) then this city is great. A nice place for a young person that just wants to go crazy, or someone that's all about clubbing and that whole scene. But if you want a more decent, laid back life with depth and substance, look elsewhere.

I moved here thinking I could live an outdoorsy, artistic, peaceful sort of life with beautiful weather. I was very wrong indeed. Sure, I CAN live this life here, but almost nobody else here is in that mindset and SD is so overdeveloped and sprawled, there's not much nature left to enjoy. And I deal with overcrowding and garbage at just about every natural place I visit. Only small groups of people here are really spiritual and down to Earth, usually people who JUST moved here too and havn't gotten sucked into the party masquerade yet. I've met many kind and innocent folks that turn into disconnected, dangerous party animals here, sometimes even going into the realm of a full-blown addict. This city is full of very bad influences and strong temptations towards the dark side.

Unless of course you are privelaged enough to live in one of the posh neighborhoods here. But most of this city is straight up scummy.

Now where's the cheap drinks at tonight? I'm sure you all know exactly where to go for that....Now gel up that hair, put on your make-up and go spread those STDs......and I say this because San Diego does have an EXTREMELY high STD rate, including HIV, sorry to rain on your parade.
Well listen man although I do agree with some things you say, I disagree with some. Let's first of all realize that first of all San Diego is a party-animal ideal city...it is fun, glowy, classy, and even plastic some might call it. But San Diego of all cities in the United States I would have to say is one of the most beautiful if not the most beautiful. If you have want to call a city scummy then look at Detroit, Las Vegas, Denver, Phoenix, Atlanta, New Orleans, and even Seattle. These cities are scummy because most of these cities have higher crime rates than San Diego, bad living conditions, and promiscous people are on a rampage there. It is also very true that San Diego people like nice things and I see nothing wrong with that as long as it does not impede people from making friends because of their so called socio-economic background. San Diego has some of the best overall high schools in the nation along with New York, San Antonio, Miami, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and other Texas cities. Same goes for Colleges and Universities. San Diego is overpopulated and people cannot help it it's just the way it was meant to be..best weather in the country and nice plots of land. However I don't know much about your experience in San Diego and I would like to know more. Where was it that you exactly lived, because if you lived in like National City, Logan Heights, Lincoln Heights, Sherman Heights, Skyline, Lomita Village or other places then I see why you thought this place was scummy. I have lived here all my life and I've seen cities all over the world and NEVER have I seen a city more beautiful than this one. Maybe there is one out there that I still have not seen but until then it's otherwise. If San Diego was not your kind of city...then oh well just move on and im glad you found a place where you feel most combfortable in.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:25 PM

26 posts, read 57,561 times
How is sex so easy here? I go to SDSU and the women party and go crazy, but they won't just have sex with you for no reason, especially if they just met you that night. Are you talking about downtown and PB? I've heard mixed things, i.e., that girls are the exact opposite of what you've said.

Quote:

Old 01-03-2008, 05:44 PM

233 posts, read 885,695 times
Smile SDSU question

Since you go to SDSU can you tell me exactly how hard is it to get into that school. My daughter applied from out of state and I hear they got 61,000 applications this year. She is desperate to go there as we will be moving to SD and living in La Jolla/UTC only 20 minutes away.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:00 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,736,621 times
Quote:
I moved here thinking I could live an outdoorsy, artistic, peaceful sort of life with beautiful weather. I was very wrong indeed.
Would you please provide us with a list of Metro areas of at least 3 million people that are able to fullfill the criteria you've listed above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego