Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:39 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,408,474 times

Advertisements

Got a small package (3" x 6") today, which the Fed-Ex guy placed UNDER the front door mat. Maybe he reads this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 05:41 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,174,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Watch Out!
The thieves are working overtime in San Diego this season
OMG that is awful. I wonder what can be done to stop this? I understand the delivery people almost have to leave them, they can't keep coming back when so many homes have no one there during the day hours. I am sure it isn't just San Diego.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:47 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,408,474 times
Occasionally, the delivery folks will leave larger packages behind my front yard gate as a theft-prevention measure.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:22 AM

12,298 posts, read 7,998,223 times
As a USPS letter carrier we are increasingly being pushed by management to leave everything that does not require a signature because of the explosion in parcels being delivered. I had a station manager who made that independent order on her own three years ago as it violates the rule book. There is simply no room in the stations to hold parcels if the customer is not home. And led by Amazon the major shippers want it left so that you can get your parcel as soon as possible and they say that they will make good any theft. Those replacement packages often require a signature thus forcing you to find time to get to the carrier's (USPS, UPS, FedEx, OnTrac and Amazon Fresh's) delivery station At the moment the USPS is beyond capacity as UPS was last December with carriers working 12 on and 12 off and the Christmas crush hasn't really started yet. On following their failure last year UPS is being more aggressive in using the USPS as a subcontractor for the last mile delivery for much of their business.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:18 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,547,197 times
We have 'package lockers' at our mail stations which work well for smaller packages. Our mailman is good about actually ringing the doorbell and waiting for someone to answer. Unlike UPS who hasn't rung our doorbell in at least two years (and we HAVE been home). But UPS does try to put packages inside the screen door or under the mat. And last year, UPS was known to pitch soft packages (which obviously contained clothes) over the rail of our second-story balcony, which worked well for that.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:48 PM

74 posts, read 88,942 times
It happens pretty much all over the country. It's a holiday tradition. Thats why I always get the insurance. The packages that were stolen from me were always replaced from the insurance

Old 12-09-2014, 01:18 PM

102 posts, read 307,206 times
For the past 4 years, I have paid for a private mail box (Postal Annex, UPS store) near my workplace just to avoid these situations. Since I receive dozens of packages a year, it is worth the peace of mind.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:26 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,275,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtalman View Post
For the past 4 years, I have paid for a private mail box (Postal Annex, UPS store) near my workplace just to avoid these situations. Since I receive dozens of packages a year, it is worth the peace of mind.
Except many retailers state they won't deliver to a PO Box.
We have a gated drive and thankfully, UPS, FedEx and USPS, all try to slide the pkg. under the gate, or if it is too big, pitch it over. So far, no breakage.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:57 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,960,923 times
This happened recently near me, so I have been doing a little research and one thing that stands out as a deterrent is security cameras........and they can be fake.....for as little as $10.

Amazon.com: fake surveillance cameras

Of course, nothing is 100%......the theft near me was caught on a security camera, clear view of the thief and his car, which they have been showing repeatedly on the local news. I have a feeling this guy will be in jail soon.

I am retired so I can be home when I have a package due, but it is nice to know about this option.

One thing, make sure the camera is clearly visible to a would be thief.

I kinda doubt the thief in this case saw the camera! LOL Too bad, so sad!

Old 12-09-2014, 06:40 PM

9,787 posts, read 11,443,293 times
I'm now looking into installing security Cameras, there not as expensive as i first thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego