Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2008, 05:15 PM

233 posts, read 885,737 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys:
I am moving from the east coast on August 1st and will be living in LaJolla/UTC. My daughter applied to SDSU but we haven't heard yet. In the meantime she has been accepted to Cal State Northridge.

Question:

Will I be able to go visit her for the day or is it too much driving for one day? Does anybody know anything about the school? She will obviously have to live there. She really has her heart set on SDSU (so do I) but since we haven't heard we have to just assume that it will be Northridge. Also applied to Cal State Long Beach but haven't heard from them yet either.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 05:24 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
It would be too much driving for one day. If you tried to travel during normal daylight hours, it would be a 3 hour drive and that's when you ARE avoiding rush hour (6:30 - 10:30am & 3pm - 7pm), if you tried to reach her at a time that did overlap with rush hour you'd never make it. 3 hours there, 3 hours back in one day - you'd spend the first couple of hours in Northridge decompressing from the drive up, and the next few hours tensing up at the prospect of the drive back.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:36 PM

12 posts, read 259,639 times
You may also want to consider that it will take at least 5 years or more for your daughter to graduate from SDSU. Because SDSU is heavily impacted students cannot graduate in 4 years. The admissions people are quite honest about this fact. At CSUN, you can graduate most majors in 4 years or even less if you load up on classes. CSUN is located in a nice, safe area. The campus is very clean with many new buildings. It's mostly a commuter school, but there are plenty of modern dormitories and apartments close to the campus. It also gets very warm in the summer.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:50 PM
CEO

39 posts, read 178,335 times
It is quite a drive but it's reasonable for a day visit. I used to commute from Sacramento to the Bay Area daily which takes 2 hours plus depending on traffic.

Plus your daughter might like the distance. SDSU is a very good school, and definitely worth going over CSUN. I know many that graduate from SDSU in 4 years. As long as you follow your major outline and take 5 classes and pass each semester you can graduate on time. Most choose to stay the 5th year, because SDSU is a fun atmosphere to be in or they did not pass their classes.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:45 AM

233 posts, read 885,737 times
Default Thanks for the advice

I appreciate your responses. I don't think she would mind taking 5 years to graduate. I am stressed out for her because I want her to concentrate on senior yezar of high school right now. She has a 3.58 GPA and a 950 on the SATs. She will be borderline to meet their minimum requirement plus they got 61,000 applications. I thought being from out of state would help her but it doesn't look like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego