Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 02:15 PM

788 posts, read 1,876,910 times

Advertisements

Panda Garden in San Marcos is actually pretty decent. A lot better than the average NYC corner store in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 11:37 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
What's the difference between NYC Chinese food and West Coast Chinese food?

Old 01-10-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogirlla View Post
I'm from NY originally and I love Chinese food, but am not seeing much in Fallbrook, Vista, Carlsbad, etc. cold sesame noodles anywhere in N county?

I'm not sure what NY style Chinese food is, and I can't help with north county, but I can give a couple of suggestions should you find yourself in the Convoy area. Dumpling Inn for Taiwanese, Spicy City for Szechuan, Little Sheep for Mongolian hot pot, and and Jasmine for dim sum.

If not helpful, disregard

Old 01-11-2015, 09:04 PM

29 posts, read 78,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I'm not sure what NY style Chinese food is, and I can't help with north county, but I can give a couple of suggestions should you find yourself in the Convoy area. Dumpling Inn for Taiwanese, Spicy City for Szechuan, Little Sheep for Mongolian hot pot, and and Jasmine for dim sum.

If not helpful, disregard
I agree you have to go to Convoy for good, authentic Chinese food. Also that area is the only option for real asian grocery stores There are two huge ones on Claremont near Convoy.

Last edited by photobpilot; 01-11-2015 at 09:20 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
What's the difference between NYC Chinese food and West Coast Chinese food?
NYC has an overabundance of mediocre/lousy Chinese corner stores. They all have the same pictures and serve the same dishes, most of which are bland. They also add random dishes from other countries to the menu....like Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, and subsequently butcher it. There are many exceptions because the city is huge (Joe's Shanghai for instance), however the average store is not good.

West coast has less of the take-out/delivery chinese food system. The sit down restaurants are just better on both coasts.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
NYC has an overabundance of mediocre/lousy Chinese corner stores. They all have the same pictures and serve the same dishes, most of which are bland. They also add random dishes from other countries to the menu....like Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, and subsequently butcher it. There are many exceptions because the city is huge (Joe's Shanghai for instance), however the average store is not good.

West coast has less of the take-out/delivery chinese food system. The sit down restaurants are just better on both coasts.
Thanks! The more you know....

Old 01-13-2015, 04:35 PM

128 posts, read 372,823 times
Pearl Chinese Restaurant in RB has pretty good dim sum (by SD standards)

Old 01-13-2015, 07:42 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
(Joe's Shanghai for instance), however the average store is not good.

I agree with what you say. These days I almost exclusively eat at JOES when I want chinese. It costs a little more but the food is so much better.

Some of the chinese food in NYC is just plain gross.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I agree with what you say. These days I almost exclusively eat at JOES when I want chinese. It costs a little more but the food is so much better.

Some of the chinese food in NYC is just plain gross.

Sunset Park actually has some decent dim sum, event though the population is heavily Fukinese (Fujian Province). Sunset Park technically has the largest Chinese population in the 5 boroughs. Check it out!

If it's milk tea/boba you are after, then I highly recommend Gong Cha. Great stuff~

Old 01-15-2015, 03:54 PM

300 posts, read 329,305 times
American style Chinese food?

Try Golden Dragon in Vista, off of East Vista Way, behind the liquor store. Strip mall on the west side of the street, just north of Bobier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego