Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 09:15 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,296,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Is " Califas " Acceptable ? I like that better than Cali.
Cali is like nails on the chalkboard to me. It always immediately invokes an image of those tourist shops that have nothing but "CALI" t-shirts, mesh hats, and beach towels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 04:25 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Before addressing any of this...can we call it "California", and not "Cali", which is a major city in Columbia?
Not exactly, Cali is a city in Colombia. I've visited Cali, Colombia. Great place but the Colombians get just as peeved when we misspell their country as when non-locals refer to California as Cali.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:14 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary86 View Post
Ok so I am probably like the 100th person writing about moving to Cali but I need help so here goes nothing. I am in my late 20's and work in the finance department in NYC. I plan on picking up and moving in May. Does anyone know how the accounting/finance industry is in San Diego? What are the chances I can find a decent paying job and how long do you think it will take? I was thinking of renting a room for a few months before I settle in and find a job. And ideas, thoughts, advice I'd really appreciate. I'd be coming alone and don't know anyone in sd.

Thanks in advance.
You're probably more like the 1000th person ...

A few months is probably not a realistic time frame for finding a job. Since you don't know anyone, come here with at least six months' savings (and don't underestimate) AND have a plan B in case your money runs out before you find a job.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:07 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
Also, have you considered expanding your search/moving to LA or Orange County?...much more opportunities in those 2 areas than SD...no need to pigeon hole your initial search to SD--at least at first. You can always move here after you are established in SoCal, does not need to be confined to SD and you will greatly increase your chances by being open to these other 2 areas.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:27 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,573,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Before addressing any of this...can we call it "California", and not "Cali", which is a major city in Columbia?
But can we still call Hillcrest "Hilly"?

Old 01-19-2015, 07:15 AM

16 posts, read 20,322 times
You guys are funny on here. Ok lesson number 1.. When out in California don't call it Cali.

Moved :
I have about $15k saved and my car will probably stay registered in ny for a few months until I get settled in. As far as moving expenses... I have nothing but some clothes and a car so I can't imagine that will wipe me clean. I'm trying to be realistic and not blow through my money and move back home within 3 months. I have a lot of bartending and waitressing experience. Are they hard to come by?

Old 01-19-2015, 07:17 AM

16 posts, read 20,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Also, have you considered expanding your search/moving to LA or Orange County?...much more opportunities in those 2 areas than SD...no need to pigeon hole your initial search to SD--at least at first. You can always move here after you are established in SoCal, does not need to be confined to SD and you will greatly increase your chances by being open to these other 2 areas.
I just assumed that Orange County was much more expensive than San Diego no? And LA is a bit intense for me. Coming from NY I'm trying to stay away from that.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:00 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
You sound level-headed enough.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:24 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,909 times
I honestly think you will be fine to land something within the first few months here Mary. Then you can worry about getting established in a neighborhood you like. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2015, 09:34 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary86 View Post
You guys are funny on here. Ok lesson number 1.. When out in California don't call it Cali.

Moved :
I have about $15k saved and my car will probably stay registered in ny for a few months until I get settled in. As far as moving expenses... I have nothing but some clothes and a car so I can't imagine that will wipe me clean. I'm trying to be realistic and not blow through my money and move back home within 3 months. I have a lot of bartending and waitressing experience. Are they hard to come by?

Sounds good!
FYI.......Be aware Ca. Law says you must register your car within 10 days of taking residence. Stupid, I know, and I'm guessing there is one among us who adhered to the 10 day thing. But, the fine is hefty and there is a website called " Cheaters" that anyone can turn your plate # in to CHP for a check. I know people it happened to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego