Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 09:42 AM

815 posts, read 2,699,116 times

Advertisements

The Irish are coming !! THE IRISH ARE COMING!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 02:35 AM

5 posts, read 5,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todovabien View Post
Hi Clare

My husband is a former j1 and just so you know - it's hard to get these visas without being sponsored by an employer. Possible, but I advise you to take the poster up thread's advice about the pro bono attorney in Boston. Immigration to the U.S. is fairly cut and dry and well laid out, rules-wise, but there is a LOT to consider and its not nearly as easy as it seems.

PLEASE look into the "two year rule" which often accompanies J-1 visas. My husband got stuck with it (he is in academia, where it is very common, I am not sure how much it falls on other industries) and its severely impeded our green card process, even though I'm an American citizen. There was even a threat he would have to return to his home country to live for awhile, even though he was married to me, all because of this rule. There is plenty of info online regarding it, and it's important to know about because if you decide to stay in the U.S., want to switch jobs, get married, etc, the rule could really mess your plans up and many immigrants don't know about it.

We were able to waive the rule, but not without jumping through many hoops and risking his j-1 status at some point. Cooperation between the two countries and a future job offer were required to do so. Also, I'm pretty sure your brother having a green card will help you in no way other than giving advice. Sad, but true. Feel free to ask any questions, and best of luck!

Edited to add: +100000 to the advice about credit. Start off with getting an American credit card, it will help to build credit enormously. Even one with a $350 limit (if you're good with it, you'll be able to increase your limit after about 5 months). They don't care about your previous life or credit or finances overseas, you start from zero once you arrive. Unless you rent off Craigslist (and sometimes if you do), a credit check can be required for renting. Sometimes in lieu of credit history, landlords will ask for 6 months rent in advance, so be prepared for that possibility.
Thanks for your reply, I've been in contact with a few advice websites and they said as long as I had my degree I will be eligible for a J-1 for a year, and if I have no job before I go I will have 90 days to find one?? and if not, I can bugger off back to the emerald Isle! Has this now changed for me to have a job?? If so I better start emailing people again!

Old 02-03-2015, 09:15 AM

34 posts, read 73,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareScully View Post
Thanks for your reply, I've been in contact with a few advice websites and they said as long as I had my degree I will be eligible for a J-1 for a year, and if I have no job before I go I will have 90 days to find one?? and if not, I can bugger off back to the emerald Isle! Has this now changed for me to have a job?? If so I better start emailing people again!
Yes, You are eligible and it's possible, as long as you have a sponsor, yes? That is absolutely necessary, you can't get the visa without one. I'm just saying its a little more difficult, as there are strict rules in place about hiring qualified Americans over immigrants and SD is a competitive market. Just to be aware, not to discourage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego