Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 10:08 AM

37 posts, read 58,983 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Mexico and was considering a quick visit to Tecate, just to get a glimpse of the other side of the border. It sounds like it's safer and more inviting than Tijuana.

There are a few threads on here mentioning Tecate, but they're all at least a few years old.

Anyone been? Is it safe if you park on the U.S. side and walk across? Any suggestions for what's worth checking out once you're across?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 11:20 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
There used to be a train ride with a tour guide offered from Tijuana to Tecate that operated on a seasonal basis. Does anyone know if this still exists ?

I can tell you one thing though Tijuana is way more interesting than Tecate. That is a no brainer. If you are concerned about safety (you shouldn't be) take an organized tour of TJ. You will get a little free time to roam around the main avenue then you can see all the sites with the guide. Win Win.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:55 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
We often camp at Potrero, drive over to the border, and walk into Tecate for lunch. We've done it as recently as last month. It's safe. We've also, in the past, collected our "free beer" ticket from the guard at the patio of the bottling plant. We haven't done that recently so we don't know if that's still available.

We have also done the train ride into Tecate, but that apparently doesn't go that far any more. It seems to stop right at the border, shy of Tecate: Golden State Train Ride | Pacific Southwest Railway Museum

Tijuana, being much larger, has much more to see. (That, in fact, is why we prefer to go to Tecate.) You might look at taking a tour with these folks: Turista Libre Tijuana Tours

Old 01-29-2015, 01:28 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
If you are looking for a laid back relaxing afternoon in a quiet Mexican town in the mountains, Tecate is the way to go. Even if you are just going for tacos and walking around the town plaza. Its like visiting Julian, you go there every so ofter just to kind of hang out and take it easy. Oddstray, what is the wait time via pedestrian lane on weekends at Tecate these days?

For chaotic big city adventure, Tijuana is the way to go. But for your first time, I would do it with a tour group like the one mentioned above.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
...Oddstray, what is the wait time via pedestrian lane on weekends at Tecate these days?
That would be, typically, 0 - 5 minutes. The longest we've ever waited in line at Tecate was around 20 minutes.
Quote:
For chaotic big city adventure, Tijuana is the way to go. But for your first time, I would do it with a tour group like the one mentioned above.
I agree with this.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:34 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
It's a pleasant enough little town, emphasis on "little."

You could always go for a luxury spa vacation if that's your thing...

Old 01-30-2015, 01:39 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
There used to be a great bakery on the main zocalo....the best pastries. I bet it's still there.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:42 AM

I don't remember a bakery ever on the zocalo. There is a really great bakery - El Mejor Pan - but it's a couple blocks east of the zocolo along Benito Juarez.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:56 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I don't remember a bakery ever on the zocalo. There is a really great bakery - El Mejor Pan - but it's a couple blocks east of the zocolo along Benito Juarez.
I said it was a loooong time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego