Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 05:39 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times

Advertisements

I remember shopping at Boney's in Pacific Beach and other parts of San Diego county for years. Then Boney's disappeared. Enter Whole Foods into the market. Then Henry's popped up in several locations as did Sprouts. Now Sprouts seem to have totally disappeared from much of San Diego County but we still have two in South OC (with maybe another one in San Clemente about to open). I do not think there are any Henry's locations left...anywhere. Now I see Jimbos! Naturally all over San Diego county (and not OC). It is bewildering! I am comfortable with Sprouts in my area and really hope it doesn't change.

Now I see Frazier Farms stores in parts in San Diego county, none in OC. However, in OC we now have Wholesome Choice, a heavily Persian/Middle Eastern/Mediterranean/health food store which is great, and not found in San Diego, with way better produce prices than all of them.

I went to Frazier Farms recently in SD County and I didn't like it as much as Sprouts.

In any case, it is shocking the changes with the health food stores. It reminds me of way back when with the Albertos craze which led to 10,000 Albertos copycats.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 02-07-2015 at 07:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 06:52 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Why do you think Sprouts is disappearing? There are locations in PB, Hillcrest/University Heights, Chula Vista, Eastlake and El Cajon. They are bustling with people too. Not sure if they have more locations, but these are the ones I have visited.

Are you maybe talking about North SD?

Old 02-07-2015, 06:55 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
You know there's a Boneys in Coronado, right?

Old 02-07-2015, 07:06 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
I read that Henry's, Sprouts and Boneys all seem to have been started by the same people.

I didn't know there was still a Boney's in existence. I rarely go to Coronado, and when I do, it's with tourists to see HDC.

I suppose I am referring more so to N. County in that I see many Frazier Farms which seem to have replaced Henry's locations.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:18 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
I don't know much about Boney's because I rarely had a chance to shop there.

Sprouts bought out Henry's. And promptly raised prices. Not quite as expensive as Whole Paycheck, but too high for our wallets. We go to Sprouts when we're passing by, but rarely buy anything from them. Jimbo's is also rather pricey.

If we want something we can't grow in our rented garden plot, we go to farmer's markets. It's probably just as expensive as Whole Paycheck, but at least we're (trying to*) supporting local growers. And at many farmers' markets you can sample the produce before you buy it. Saves wasting money on apples that look nice but taste mealy, for example.

*Apparently there's some lying going on at farmers' markets about the true source of the produce ... )

We've also recently taken to shopping at North Park Produce for produce (we were buying middle-east groceries there, and noticed that their produce looks really good).

Old 02-07-2015, 10:52 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I remember shopping at Boney's in Pacific Beach and other parts of San Diego county for years. Then Boney's disappeared. Enter Whole Foods into the market. Then Henry's popped up in several locations as did Sprouts. Now Sprouts seem to have totally disappeared from much of San Diego County but we still have two in South OC (with maybe another one in San Clemente about to open). I do not think there are any Henry's locations left...anywhere. Now I see Jimbos! Naturally all over San Diego county (and not OC). It is bewildering! I am comfortable with Sprouts in my area and really hope it doesn't change.

Now I see Frazier Farms stores in parts in San Diego county, none in OC. However, in OC we now have Wholesome Choice, a heavily Persian/Middle Eastern/Mediterranean/health food store which is great, and not found in San Diego, with way better produce prices than all of them.

I went to Frazier Farms recently in SD County and I didn't like it as much as Sprouts.

In any case, it is shocking the changes with the health food stores. It reminds me of way back when with the Albertos craze which led to 10,000 Albertos copycats.
Boney's did not disappear. They changed the name to Henry's. Henry was the patriarch of the Boney's family, the owners of the chain. Henry's then was sold to Wild Oats, where it became Sprouts. It's been through a couple of owners, but the Sprouts stores (at least in San Diego County) are once again owned by the Boney's family. Boney's -> Henry's -> Sprouts -> all still open, at least the ones that I'm familiar with.

**at some point while the Boneys still owned the stores there was a split, and a couple of the stores that were owned by one of the brothers stayed Boney's when the rest changed names, but I think those stores are closed now

EDIT just saw the post about Boney's in Coronado- forgot about that one!

Jimbo's is a local chain from San Diego, the original store was on 30th in North Park since at least the 1980s. it's been expanding locally but so far not out of the county. Right now there are 5 stores, not sure if there's plans for more.

Last edited by Jenkay; 02-07-2015 at 11:05 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 10:56 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I read that Henry's, Sprouts and Boneys all seem to have been started by the same people.

I didn't know there was still a Boney's in existence. I rarely go to Coronado, and when I do, it's with tourists to see HDC.

I suppose I am referring more so to N. County in that I see many Frazier Farms which seem to have replaced Henry's locations.
Which locations? wait wait, I'm confused. You're saying there was a Henry's in North County until recently? I thought they all became Sprouts by about 2011-2012?

Old 02-08-2015, 06:10 AM

745 posts, read 1,568,197 times
There is a Sprouts in Poway on Poway road near Midland.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:50 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
I haven't you noticed a single scratch location close yet. They all seem to be busy. I also like North Park produce! The owners are super nice, they have very interesting grocery products, and their produce is varied and inexpensive. However, I would say the quality and farmers markets is the best overall and at my local Scripps Ranch one, I find the prices generally better than grocery stores for a lot of things like oranges, avocados, leafy greens, etc.. However, strawberries and honey seem expensive.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:52 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Like others have already said, Sprouts is going no where. I just googled it and there are 15 stores in the county. And speaking of health food stores, Hanson's Market from OC is opening a 2 story market in Little Italy soon. Only 3.5 stars on Yelp. You familiar with the place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego