Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 10:31 PM

813 posts, read 1,273,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
great story, thanks for following up. glad everything has worked out for you and I do believe if you want it bad enough you can make it happen. cheers!
I totally agree. And to live in San Diego, you definitely have to want it bad from the cost of living standpoint, but with creativity and a plan of action, it is worth it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 10:38 AM

36 posts, read 63,890 times
I lived in Guam and Hawaii, and living close to the equator made outdoor sports damaging and painful to my skin. And I have dark, melanin enriched skin! San Diego to me, is a golfers paradise. In the summer, the morning marine cloud layer offers sun protection till about 10 or 11 AM and burns off by noon. You tee off early in the morning, the sun comes out by noon and you enjoy the a post golf lunch in the shade! The same goes for biking, hiking, sailing and other sports. Start in the morning and siesta in the afternoon. What a life.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:55 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
It's always the people who don't live here who like to tell us our weather is boring, why is that?
Because they're trying to convince themselves that living in a dense, walkable, public-transit East Coast ****hole with a big skyline and "grit", all the while dealing with rude people, snow and mosquitoes is somehow better for QOL than hiking everyday in sunny 70F and going to the beach many days each year, relaxing under a palm tree.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:53 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Because they're trying to convince themselves that living in a dense, walkable, public-transit East Coast ****hole with a big skyline and "grit", all the while dealing with rude people, snow and mosquitoes is somehow better for QOL than hiking everyday in sunny 70F and going to the beach many days each year, relaxing under a palm tree.
Can be good: dense, walkable, public-transit, snow as kid, cloud cover

Can never be good: mosquitoes, snow as adult, rudeness which one can find anywhere

Always good: 70 deg., beach, palm trees, relaxing, hiking

Can not be good: SoCal oppressive sun

Old 02-17-2015, 07:12 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Unless you're in the Inland Empire or the desert, the sun in SoCal is almost never oppressive--the cool sea breeze always keeps it in check. Sure, there are a few days when it may be into the 90sF or above (especially in the inland communities), but it's not very common.

A better negative of SoCal to mention would be the drought.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:25 PM

745 posts, read 1,568,503 times
I moved here from the heat of AZ in 1976 and greatly prefer San Diego to extreme heat. Some might feel that way about escaping cold.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:41 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
This is getting scary because, this is exactly what I believe too. Kudos Hawaii. Hurry up, finish school and get back to California.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:47 PM

813 posts, read 1,273,079 times
Quote:
After moving here from New England I can say that you are spot on! But in conversation, people just say to me that they refuse to pay what we do for cost of living. A few of my friends have called me and whined about the 5 feet of snow they have gotten in the last 2 weeks. I just tell them that this is the time of year my sunshine tax is worth every penny!

Old 02-17-2015, 08:25 PM

36 posts, read 63,890 times
The anticipated mega drought is a reality, however inland cities are more vulnerable than San Diego.

1. Warm water ports have survived and thrived since the ancient times. San Diego is not going anywhere, it hosts a majority of the US Pacific Fleet. It would be too costly to relocate.
2. Although expensive, desalination is an option, many Middle Eastern countries in the Arabian Gulf have vast desalination plants. If the Colorado River dries up, inland cities like Las Vegas and Phoenix will have to pipe or truck their water uphill, extremely expensive. In the West, most boom and bust cities were inland, not on the coast.
3. Earthquakes are problematic, however if you look at Japan which is in the middle of three tectonic plates and a destructive subduction zone (in the 9.0 range) and it's recent tsunami; millions still chose to remain there and pay high real estate prices. The slip fault quakes in California are not as destructive as quakes in subduction zones. On the USGA website, the shake tables show San Diego will have the lowest ground acceleration compared to LA and SF.
4. Another problem is the anticipated sea level rise. San Diego has a single port opening to the ocean which will be easier to build a gate and barrier along the Strand toward the mesa near the border. The Dutch have mastered the engineering required to build a gate system. Relocating the entire Naval port and facilities would be a lot more costly than, building a gate and barrier. Keeping the water out in a city like New Orleans is much more challenging with its numerous tributaries and canals, which act like sieves.

To all the haters, San Diego despite it drawbacks, is not going anywhere. If it's within their budget, people will continue to relocate and live there no matter what.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:38 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,048,329 times
OP, since you are still young, you're probably not thinking long term about housing costs.

Once you get married and have a kid or two, San Diego will be a lot less desirable I predict. Home prices are ridiculous there. Junky houses in the ghetto will be your "starter home".\

But as a single young person who rents and has roommates, SD wouldn't be a bad choice. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego