Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 05:20 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
If I were in your position I would be lashing out too so I guess if I have a point its making lemonade out of lemons may be all you can do. Its an imperfect world and isnt likely to change much in our lifetimes. I cant justify prejudicial behavior but OTOH it would be disingenuous to expect police in a given area (or even I dare say the busybody George Zimmerman) to not tend to scrutinize people of certain ethnic and age groups based upon who was known to be committing crimes at the time. In the case of our FL vigilante the fact was Martin resembled kids who had been virtually terrorizing that block with daytime invasion robberies and it wasnt just skin color but age, the fact he was a stranger in a gated community, and the way he dressed. (Not condoning his provocative actions and we will never know who hit whom first just saying that incident was an example not of pure profiling but a person who at that time and place fit the description of known criminals)
So to take something constructive from that if police look at you merely for being black maybe they wouldnt think so much if you were in a suit not a hoodie. Or not doing any number of things they could mistake for criminal activity.
This is the thing with me. I can only take care of me. This is why I have the perspective that I have. If someone looks at me in a certain way, and it is the wrong way, I do take issue. I look at it as "what I have personally done to show you that I am trouble?". I will also admit that the way I see things has to do with the fact that we're suppose to be a the new "colorblind society" and it continually fails to live up to that.

Even if Martin had resembled the persons who had been causing trouble during the day, it still leaves this for me to consider. I never really gave much thought about wearing a hoodie. I've seen White people wear them all the time without any kind of problem. I hardly ever wear a hoodie. There are times I have worn one. However, if a White person can wear a hoodie and not illicit the same reaction as a Black person wearing a hoodie, then I have a problem. If I can't wear a hoodie, no one else should be able to do that either. It should be the same for everyone.

And there is one thing I will speak of. I was at a mall a few years ago. I actually was dressed in a suit. I went into a bookstore in the mall. All I wanted to do was read. Me, Black guy in a suit, and most of the persons in there were White, and some dressed like skateboarders. I was the one who got followed around in the store by the cashier. And said person was kind of bold about it. I left the store, vowing never to set foot in there again. To me, it was "treat me like a criminal, and you get no money from me".

Old 03-07-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well, certainly not anyone who bothers to research their claims.

For example: Virginia Beach, VA - city of nearly 1/2 million. Triple the black population of San Diego's. Yet, bizarrely, 50% less crime. You can look this stuff up yourself, you know. (//www.city-data.com/city/Virgin...-Virginia.html)

But some people prefer to shoot their racial theories from the hip. As we see here in his thread. Problem with shooting from the hip is the high incidence of hitting oneself in the foot. Then of course jamming foot in mouth.

How many more examples would you like, AADAD?
And like San Diego, Virginia Beach is a military town.

There is also something else I want to bring up. Virginia Beach has the lowest Black poverty rate for cities of 250,000+ people, 9.7%. In fact, here is a list of cities with the 10 lowest Black poverty rates and 10 highest Black poverty rates. Among the 10 lowest Black poverty rates, San Diego ranks #5.

Lowest
Virginia Beach,VA(9.7%)
Honolulu,HI(9.9%)
San Jose,CA(12.7%)
El Paso,TX(15.6%)
San Diego,CA(20.4%)
Charlotte,NC(20.6%)
Colorado Springs,CO(20.6%)
New York,NY(20.8%)
Las Vegas,NV(21.5%)
Seattle,WA(21.5%)

Highest
Minneapolis,MN(46.1%)
St. Paul,MN(46%)
Miami,FL(45.7%)
Cleveland,OH(43.7%)
Fort Wayne,IN(41.5%)
Pittsburgh,PA(40.4%)
Louisville,KY(39.8%)
Buffalo,NY(38.6%)
St. Louis,MO(38.6%)
Bakersfield,CA(38.3%)

I notice something about the cities with low Black poverty rates. Large military influence in some of them: VA Beach, Honolulu, El Paso, San Diego, Colorado Springs.

Last edited by green_mariner; 03-07-2015 at 06:18 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 12:08 PM

105 posts, read 169,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And like San Diego, Virginia Beach is a military town.

There is also something else I want to bring up. Virginia Beach has the lowest Black poverty rate for cities of 250,000+ people, 9.7%. In fact, here is a list of cities with the 10 lowest Black poverty rates and 10 highest Black poverty rates. Among the 10 lowest Black poverty rates, San Diego ranks #5.

Lowest
Virginia Beach,VA(9.7%)
Honolulu,HI(9.9%)
San Jose,CA(12.7%)
El Paso,TX(15.6%)
San Diego,CA(20.4%)
Charlotte,NC(20.6%)
Colorado Springs,CO(20.6%)
New York,NY(20.8%)
Las Vegas,NV(21.5%)
Seattle,WA(21.5%)

Highest
Minneapolis,MN(46.1%)
St. Paul,MN(46%)
Miami,FL(45.7%)
Cleveland,OH(43.7%)
Fort Wayne,IN(41.5%)
Pittsburgh,PA(40.4%)
Louisville,KY(39.8%)
Buffalo,NY(38.6%)
St. Louis,MO(38.6%)
Bakersfield,CA(38.3%)

I notice something about the cities with low Black poverty rates. Large military influence in some of them: VA Beach, Honolulu, El Paso, San Diego, Colorado Springs.
So what you are saying is it takes military jobs to reduce black poverty? More government dependence.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNHot75 View Post
So what you are saying is it takes military jobs to reduce black poverty? More government dependence.
What difference does it make? It's work. It's better than being on welfare. And you serve your country.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:03 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Many black citizens will tell you honestly that due to lower education levels, poor households they look to the military as a way out of those situations and to a better life.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Many black citizens will tell you honestly that due to lower education levels, poor households they look to the military as a way out of those situations and to a better life.
Many people from poor backgrounds period will tell you this. If one cannot afford college, and one wants to do something with their life besides doing nothing, I have no issue with someone joining the military. For many the military does provide a better life. Some get an education through the military. And you serve your country too.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:21 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Many people from poor backgrounds period will tell you this. If one cannot afford college, and one wants to do something with their life besides doing nothing, I have no issue with someone joining the military. For many the military does provide a better life. Some get an education through the military. And you serve your country too.
...and if you come from a background of losers and you know the difference, the military offers a way out.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:18 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
This is the thing with me. I can only take care of me. This is why I have the perspective that I have. If someone looks at me in a certain way, and it is the wrong way, I do take issue. I look at it as "what I have personally done to show you that I am trouble?". I will also admit that the way I see things has to do with the fact that we're suppose to be a the new "colorblind society" and it continually fails to live up to that.

Even if Martin had resembled the persons who had been causing trouble during the day, it still leaves this for me to consider. I never really gave much thought about wearing a hoodie. I've seen White people wear them all the time without any kind of problem. I hardly ever wear a hoodie. There are times I have worn one. However, if a White person can wear a hoodie and not illicit the same reaction as a Black person wearing a hoodie, then I have a problem. If I can't wear a hoodie, no one else should be able to do that either. It should be the same for everyone.

And there is one thing I will speak of. I was at a mall a few years ago. I actually was dressed in a suit. I went into a bookstore in the mall. All I wanted to do was read. Me, Black guy in a suit, and most of the persons in there were White, and some dressed like skateboarders. I was the one who got followed around in the store by the cashier. And said person was kind of bold about it. I left the store, vowing never to set foot in there again. To me, it was "treat me like a criminal, and you get no money from me".
Wow they FOLLOWED you even though you were dressed in a SUIT??!

You should have confronted the person ''Who the **** you following you think I'm going to steal your book even though I buy my Suit for over $500''

Old 03-08-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Wow they FOLLOWED you even though you were dressed in a SUIT??!

You should have confronted the person ''Who the **** you following you think I'm going to steal your book even though I buy my Suit for over $500''
Yes, that actually happened, in a bookstore of all places. It sounds unbelievable, but it happened. The irony was the presence of teenagers there who looked like skateboarders. If there was anyone who one might want to follow in the store, it would be the ones who look like skateboarders. I've personally had some bad experiences from skateboarder types.

I didn't want to cause a scene in the store. I would have caused more trouble had I said that. What I should have done was call corporate.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:06 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
...and if you come from a background of losers and you know the difference, the military offers a way out.
There are many fine people in the military. But the military is also loaded with losers. Just like civilian life. The stockades and brigs are full of thieves and lying cheats and rapists and murderers. And, as I previously posted, military towns very often have very high crime rates. Look it up.

The military also demands a very low level of creativity to go with a high level of chickencrap conformity. Very low levels of actual work accomplishment except in conflict. It teaches its people how to thrive only within a near infantile level of dependency in its support system. Everything is provided as long as you don't draw outside any lines.

I spent years longer than I should have in service. Thought I'd make it a career. But wised up. My combat service was, naturally, intense. The rest was a waste of my hours on earth.

But yes, it can be a way out of other wasteful life. If you qualify, fit their profile and needs. Not just anybody gets in anymore, you know.

Most significantly to this thread's considerations of racial profiling and claims of racial propensities to crime: the military is colorblind. Interesting that, with the deepest budgetary pockets, and the highest levels of study that go into assuring the best selection of personnel, the military doesn't profile racially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego