Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 10:27 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,536,650 times

Advertisements

They aren't the San Diego Chargers, they're the Spanos Chargers period. The family has $1.3 Billion, and some of the money from their overpriced tickets would be going into building a new stadium instead of the owner's pockets if it were our team. We don't need a stadium on the waterfront, the present site is more centrally located for those who can still afford tickets. Public money should not be spent to subsidize wealthy private ball club owners, we should be investing in things that improve the city for all like fixing our roads and replacing ancient water mains. I'd rather have our leaders spend as much effort in doing something that can benefit most of us like bringing in something like Google Fiber to San Diego, as they are toadying up to the Spanos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 10:57 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,689,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Looks to me like he wants out and has raised the bar so high that SD would never be able to accommodate, he won't give in on anything.
You might be right about this. Like others, I'm ready to give up on the Chargers after all these years. I've said it before, but I'd be much more interested in having a Major League Soccer here.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:21 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,904,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Other than not winning the Super Bowl, which is obviously a disappointment, what reasons are the Chargers a "failing entertainment business"? The team averaged more than 65,000 in attendance per game last season. If the "having a crappy stadium" issue is a reason why, that's something that is generally helped by the city a team plays in. There are FAR worse teams than the Chargers who have gotten plenty of public money to build new stadiums.
You do realize the avg attendance stat is BS in sports. There are plenty of 50K+ attendance games around the country, except the stadium is half empty. So yeah most owners don't give a crap as they already got the money, but there are plenty of games where nobody is there, but stats say it's packed. I don't know the exact numbers for Chargers games as I am not a Chargers fan, but most teams market those stats because it tells a good story, not the real story.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:13 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,579,059 times
Sun peeking through stadium clouds Page 2 of 2 | UTSanDiego.com

It is still considered a near certainty by some that the Chargers will find problems with whatever plan the task force presents. Downtown would still be the team's preference. And the team is pressing forward in Carson. A petition drive, funded by the Chargers and Raiders, to clear the way for building of a proposed stadium, is set to begin in Carson as early as next week.

We need to reward them by no ticket sales this year if they keep this attitude moving.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:49 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,904,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Sun peeking through stadium clouds Page 2 of 2 | UTSanDiego.com

It is still considered a near certainty by some that the Chargers will find problems with whatever plan the task force presents. Downtown would still be the team's preference. And the team is pressing forward in Carson. A petition drive, funded by the Chargers and Raiders, to clear the way for building of a proposed stadium, is set to begin in Carson as early as next week.

We need to reward them by no ticket sales this year if they keep this attitude moving.

I think the problem lies in how and people in San Diego normally do things. It's why other areas steal companies away or create entire industries. San Diego needs to renovate Qualcomm, build a new stadium or tell the Chargers to go elsewhere.
Who pays for what can be worked out, but that new Stadium in Carson will probably be completed by 2018 or 2019, they can play at the Rose Bowl in the mean time, a place that already had millions in renovations done to it.

If Carson has a completed stadium in a few years while San Diego is still talking about a location for one, there is the problem. Like it or not, want the Chargers gone or not, San Diego and many people in San Diego love to talk big games, but they seem to have an anti-business mentality in many location. I don't even think it would matter if the Spanos or an outsider put up 90 percent of the cost, some people would still complain and fight to not have it happen.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I think the problem lies in how and people in San Diego normally do things. It's why other areas steal companies away or create entire industries. San Diego needs to renovate Qualcomm, build a new stadium or tell the Chargers to go elsewhere.
Who pays for what can be worked out, but that new Stadium in Carson will probably be completed by 2018 or 2019, they can play at the Rose Bowl in the mean time, a place that already had millions in renovations done to it.

If Carson has a completed stadium in a few years while San Diego is still talking about a location for one, there is the problem. Like it or not, want the Chargers gone or not, San Diego and many people in San Diego love to talk big games, but they seem to have an anti-business mentality in many location. I don't even think it would matter if the Spanos or an outsider put up 90 percent of the cost, some people would still complain and fight to not have it happen.
True, especially in a City like SD with so much else going on all the time. The cold hard fact is that MOST people don't really give a flip about football here like they do in Chicago or Denver.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:56 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,488,483 times
I lived in L.A. until early last summer, and while I'm admittedly not a sports fan and didn't talk to many sports fans, it almost seemed that nobody in L.A. really cared much about the fact there was no NFL franchise there. Of course there's been talk of planting a new stadium somewhere downtown, but now in the U-T I read of proposals for a stadium in Inglewood, or the Inland Empire, or Carson--Carson! The idea of a stadium hosting not one, but two NFL teams in Carson seems preposterous to many San Diegans who understandably regard Carson as a small suburb of L.A. That is, in fact, a legal and geographic reality. But for all practical purposes, Carson is like just another L.A. district or neighborhood.

Geography aside, the fact that L.A. can't seem to settle on a final choice for a stadium site suggests that it's not a high priority for them. If for no other reason than that I think it would be a shame if San Diego lost the Chargers to L.A.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:27 AM

9,780 posts, read 11,436,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post

This^^^^
I wish i could rep you twice
Yesterday the Head of the convention center was on 1090. He has stated in the past that he, "doesn't want a joint Stadium Convention center expansion"
The Charger games would interfere with Conventions he says.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:27 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,808,461 times
I was grocery shopping today and a man was asking for people to sign a document (not officially a petition) showing that North County people support the Chargers staying in SD. These are going to eventually be presented to the powers that be, but they don't have any legal power. Guess it's good to have the people who live in NC show their support too (although I didn't see a lot of people signing it when I was there).

Old 03-06-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I was grocery shopping today and a man was asking for people to sign a document (not officially a petition) showing that North County people support the Chargers staying in SD. These are going to eventually be presented to the powers that be, but they don't have any legal power. Guess it's good to have the people who live in NC show their support too (although I didn't see a lot of people signing it when I was there).
Isn't this like handing out a piece of paper to the girl in your 4th grade class, do you like me, check yes or no? Cause Spanos could give a flip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego