Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 06:34 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times

Advertisements

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/vr_info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 07:06 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,726 times
When we moved here and were filling out the forms with the DMV, there is a spot where you are asked when your car was brought into CA.

Is your name the only one on the car?

Old 03-10-2015, 08:03 PM

8 posts, read 6,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
When the car is brought into the State, you will state the value and that is the amount of tax you will pay.
If the car is in the State, than it has to be registered in the State. It makes no difference if the owner is not with it.
You could conceivably leave it registered in Tx until you get here, but the fine is a stiff one if you are caught.
Ah, I just did the research and calculated the amount due. I think I understand the scenario better now. Thanks for your help!

Any more tips for the move to San Diego?

Old 03-10-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowHope View Post
When we moved here and were filling out the forms with the DMV, there is a spot where you are asked when your car was brought into CA.

Is your name the only one on the car?
Yes, and on the lien. So, kinda stuck for now.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:06 PM

268 posts, read 1,133,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbbg View Post
My spouse recently got a job in San Diego. We both loved the place last time we visited. Will be moving from DFW area to SD in about a month (I will be moving later ~ 6 months). I have some questions on the move .

1. Car is registered in my name but will be used in San Diego. How does the registration stuff work now? Do I have to register the car in California and get the CA plates? I will be in Texas for at least next 6 months. Car is financed too.

2. Is it advisable to buy a new car in Texas, and move it to SD few months from now or buy it in CA now? 6.25% is the sales tax here in Texas.

3. Best way to move one half of a 2-bed apartment? We're thinking of using a Pod (from U-Haul or U-pack), while we drive ourselves and few boxes in the car over two days. Any experience in using the pod?

Any advise on these or other things would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
About #2, do not buy a new car in Texas if you are moving to San Diego soon. You will have to pay used/sales tax again (for the difference) if it's new or < 12 months old. On DMV site, there is a car registration calculator, you can try that one. I also moved to SD 3 months back with new car purchased in Austin. Again registration process is little bit different comparing to Texas which will slow down the entire process if the car is purchased in TX.

I had the same question and you can check my thread as well:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...-tax-when.html

Old 03-11-2015, 11:25 AM

@deadcoder
Hello! We lived in Austin for a while (southwest) before moving to DFW.
That thread escalated quickly ... Based on the calculations on the dmv site, it looks like about $208 for the entire process. The current TX reg expires at the end of this month. We might drive to San Diego before 31st. In that case, I should probably register the car here, right? I read there are certain penalties if the car's registration in the home state expires and then is brought to CA.

Any idea?

Old 03-14-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
@deadcoder
Hello! We lived in Austin for a while (southwest) before moving to DFW.
That thread escalated quickly ... Based on the calculations on the dmv site, it looks like about $208 for the entire process. The current TX reg expires at the end of this month. We might drive to San Diego before 31st. In that case, I should probably register the car here, right? I read there are certain penalties if the car's registration in the home state expires and then is brought to CA.

Any idea?
I'm not sure about that. But you generally have 20 days grace period after you initiate residency. For old car, tax might not be an issue. But for newly purchased out of state car and when moving that car within < 12 months, then CA charge used/sales tax. I paid around $500 in January when I register my car here even though my registration was valid till August 2015.

Another new thing which I faced was - car registration card. If you don't have title with you (most of the time you will not have title if you purchased it with loan), then they need your previous/current registration card. In Texas, DMV don't issue any registration card. At least not in San Antonio, Austin. So I had to go through several process, then title was first sent from Texas to California Nissan, then Nissan to CA DMV. Then they issued my registration and sent a mail last week. Yes, I took 2 months!!!! Welcome to California Definitely, you will not get quality services from govt/state offices here - comparing to Texas. And don't forget to take an appointment at DMV before going there.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:23 AM

Woah man! You're my new best friend! Two months?? And yes, we have a Nissan too, financed from NMAC. So I have to walk in your footsteps now.

Does it matter that the car is registered to me and I will be still in Texas?

Old 03-15-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Woah man! You're my new best friend! Two months?? And yes, we have a Nissan too, financed from NMAC. So I have to walk in your footsteps now.

Does it matter that the car is registered to me and I will be still in Texas?
No, I don't think so (assuming you are talking about the car which you already have). But make sure to bring or collect Registration Card (Travis, Bexar counties don't provide that). Otherwise if you have to contact NMAC to mail your title to DMV. DMV will issue a letter asking NMAC to mail title to their specific address. Then you need to fax that letter to NMAC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: