Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 10:14 AM

15 posts, read 15,385 times

Advertisements

My husband just got orders to Camp Pendleton and I was approved a job transfer to Tecate. I grew up in the Bay Area and he is from Miami. We are both unfamiliar with the SD area. Looking at a map, splitting our commute approximately 45 mins each would put us in the La Mesa area. I will be working non commute hours 0500 to 1400 but he most likely will not. What can he expect for his commute from La Mesa to Oceanside? Is La Mesa a nice area to live? We are looking to rent a 3 bedroom home. We are young and enjoy nightlife, beaches and bars but also appreciate the suburban lifestyle. We're currently 40 mins from DC and it's far too close for us as far as we're concerned because traffic here is a nightmare, any time of day, any day of the week. Any advice on areas to live that would split our commute between Camp Pendleton and Tecate, but still a reasonable distance from downtown SD, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 10:16 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Where exactly are you going to be working? Do you know that Tecate is in Mexico? What's your rental budget? You need to provide us with more information before we can help you.

Last edited by moved; 03-13-2015 at 10:27 AM..

Old 03-13-2015, 10:26 AM

Umm, no.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEN82 View Post
Umm, no.
?????????? Does this mean that you can't provide us with more information?

Old 03-13-2015, 10:33 AM

I was answering your original post asking me if I will be working in Mexico. I said no. Tecate is in CA as well as in Mexico. Tecate, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia We don't have a budget, our only criteria is what I listed in my original post. Thank you.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:35 AM

Before you can get any help, you need to provide us with amount that you are able to pay in rent every month. Tecate is in Baja, California. Baja is in Mexico. And in order to get any help, you need to provide us with all the information that you can, other than your husband is going to be stationed at Camp Pendleton, and you're going to be working in Tecate.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:10 AM

Like I said, we have no budget, money isn't an issue. We are looking for safe suburban towns midway between Camp Pendleton and Tecate, CA. That's it. We are zeroed in on La Mesa because it's halfway and I have read good things about the area. If there are any other good towns in that area to consider, we will. If there are bad towns in that area that we should be made aware of, that would be helpful as well. I am fully aware of where Tecate is. I work for the federal government and will be working in that town. Tecate is a border town, such a San Ysidro, Otay Mesa and Calexico. They share a border with Mexico. I will be working on the US side for the US federal government. For your reference ...

Tecate is an unincorporated community in the Mountain Empire area of southeastern San Diego County California, directly adjacent to the Mexican city of Tecate Baja California. The area is best known for its border crossing between the United States and Mexico, and nearby Tecate Peak.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:17 AM

70 posts, read 100,863 times
Moved, there is a part of Tecate that is on the north side of the border.

That said, OP, I don't know about your job situation, but I will promise you that the commute for your husband would be absolute hell. Not sure how attached you are to your company, but you might consider getting a new job up in north SD county. From La Mesa to Pendleton at rush hour would be well over an hour. Coming home at night would be pushing an hour and a half (maybe more). He would likely be coming down the 805 (which is the one I commute on, so i've got plenty of experience). Food for thought: If you look at a map, on an evening commute, if often takes 45 minutes just to get from Sorrento Valley to the 8.

I live in Kensington and commute to Carmel Mountain Rd. in Sorrento Valley. After a few months sitting in mind-numbing traffic for 50 minutes in the evenings, I broke down and got a motorcycle to split lanes.

Don't mean to rain on the parade, just some food for thought.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEN82 View Post
Like I said, we have no budget, money isn't an issue. We are looking for safe suburban towns midway between Camp Pendleton and Tecate, CA. That's it. We are zeroed in on La Mesa because it's halfway and I have read good things about the area. If there are any other good towns in that area to consider, we will. If there are bad towns in that area that we should be made aware of, that would be helpful as well. I am fully aware of where Tecate is. I work for the federal government and will be working in that town. Tecate is a border town, such a San Ysidro, Otay Mesa and Calexico. They share a border with Mexico. I will be working on the US side for the US federal government. For your reference ...

Tecate is an unincorporated community in the Mountain Empire area of southeastern San Diego County California, directly adjacent to the Mexican city of Tecate Baja California. The area is best known for its border crossing between the United States and Mexico, and nearby Tecate Peak.
You should have stated that in the beginning. And if you're going to be working for the feds, I assume that you'll be working for CBP if it's in Tecate.

And yes, your husband's commute to Camp Pendleton would be absolute hell.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:23 AM

Thank you for your advice! I'm halfway to retirement and love my job, making great money so I won't be quitting. We're already used to an hour commute living in the DC metro area. Any other places to consider that might make my commute a bit longer (commuting during odd hours) but making his commute under an hour (during rush hour)? My coworkers are pushing me to look at the Mission Valley area. That would put my commute at an hour and according to mapquest, his at 30 mins. Would that be any more manageable for him? Thnx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego