Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 06:50 AM

26 posts, read 32,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Move out, MAN. WHAT EVER IT TAKES. Get out of Chicago! winters suck, taxes high, murder high. It's a nasty city uless you are rich. I lived their 13 pathetic years.
Just to be clear. Chicago is becoming more hipster/yuppie like and the gangs are being forced out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 05:50 PM

302 posts, read 452,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikemikey View Post
Just to be clear. Chicago is becoming more hipster/yuppie like and the gangs are being forced out.
Not really. I just moved to Cali in June and they are as bad as ever. On top of that, you have massive political corruption (Governor's going to jail for pay to play schemes), flashmobs in downtown, homeless getting beat up by people for no reason, the mayor's son getting jumped because he was involved in drug dealing.

Unless you're out in the suburbs or on the north side(which a lot of crime happens, especially rapes), it is not getting better. Heck, I lived in Beverly which was one of the nicest, safest areas for the longest time, and they have issues going on now too.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:32 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,042 times
Of course with record heat and humidity it may put a damper into San Diego real estate with these conditions.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:45 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,574,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Of course with record heat and humidity it may put a damper into San Diego real estate with these conditions.
lol

Old 09-15-2015, 10:00 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,403,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
lol

I'll double that LOL!

Old 09-15-2015, 10:13 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikemikey View Post
The underclass, uneducated will always outnumber the hipster/yuppies in Chicago. This is not as true in Seattle, San Francisco, Portland.

Chicago's glory days are behind it.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:33 PM

40 posts, read 78,880 times
Just wanted to bump this thread with a story I heard today.

A woman just bought a home with her fiance. She is 31 and will be married in a month. She has lived at home with her parents this entire time, saving her paycheck for the down payment. I'm not sure about her job but she's a professional.

I've been wondering how newlyweds or young families find their SFR around here and I think this is one way. So there you go. Good old fashioned savings and delayed home ownership. Granted, she is very lucky to have parents in SD that were willing to support her until her 30s but maybe that is the best way to go about it these days if you don't want to play the real estate game (ie buying and selling every 5 years).

Old 10-10-2015, 12:58 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,636,449 times
Just adding a link to an article about finding an apartment in San Diego. I posted this as a separate thread but thought it might be good to add to this sticky thread. The title says it all, but it should be a definite read if you're moving here.

New real estate reporter tries to find an apartment in San Diego. | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com

Old 10-10-2015, 05:19 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,380,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecoldlemonade View Post
Just wanted to bump this thread with a story I heard today.

A woman just bought a home with her fiance. She is 31 and will be married in a month. She has lived at home with her parents this entire time, saving her paycheck for the down payment. I'm not sure about her job but she's a professional.

I've been wondering how newlyweds or young families find their SFR around here and I think this is one way. So there you go. Good old fashioned savings and delayed home ownership. Granted, she is very lucky to have parents in SD that were willing to support her until her 30s but maybe that is the best way to go about it these days if you don't want to play the real estate game (ie buying and selling every 5 years).

This type of thing is very common in other countries. I lived in South America for 9 years and I owned a few companies. The ironic thing is almost all of my employees earned a fraction of what my USA employees earn yet they all were able to pay for properties with cash.

Down there, they live at home with their parents for many years. Often into their mid 30's. They save up so that they can buy a property of their own. And in some countries there are no mortgages so you have to pay cash.

I know that's far from the case in the USA. Especially San Diego. Many times when my out of town friends come in town and they stay with me, they ask me what the heck everyone does in my neighborhood that they can afford these types of homes. Surprisingly lots of homes in the area are just rentals.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:36 PM

40 posts, read 78,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
This type of thing is very common in other countries. I lived in South America for 9 years and I owned a few companies. The ironic thing is almost all of my employees earned a fraction of what my USA employees earn yet they all were able to pay for properties with cash.

Down there, they live at home with their parents for many years. Often into their mid 30's. They save up so that they can buy a property of their own. And in some countries there are no mortgages so you have to pay cash.

I know that's far from the case in the USA. Especially San Diego. Many times when my out of town friends come in town and they stay with me, they ask me what the heck everyone does in my neighborhood that they can afford these types of homes. Surprisingly lots of homes in the area are just rentals.
Yup, this is very common among Asians as well. In fact, it used to be EXPECTED that unmarried women live at home until marriage (however late that is) and that the parents continue to live with the eldest son (much to the hardship of his wife). Things are different now but it is still considered totally normal to live with parents. In the US on the other hand, it might be seen as shameful for an adult to live with his/her parents.

As for the latter part of your comment, yeah, this was a big surprise for me. This was unusual when I was a kid but it seems pretty common now. I heard that in my old neighborhood, one family bought up many of the homes on the block in the years after the big bubble crash. They continually rent them out because the school districts are so great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego