Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2016, 05:24 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandasand View Post
We really want to buy a house in Serra Mesa (92123) but inventory is very low and what's on the market is not what we would want to buy. We have VA financing so I'm pretty confident that we will never find a property that will accept an offer with a VA loan. We need to move in August from our current rental and hope we can stay in Serra Mesa and lease again for 1-2 years. Once my husband is done with law school, we should be able to qualify for more and put us in a better position to buy again.
Interesting career choice given the huge glut of lawyers. In any case, I hope he is clerking now and has good prospects. I hope he has a pedigree. My experience with San Diego is that pay there is abysmal and jobs are very hard to come by for most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 06:34 PM

192 posts, read 251,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Interesting career choice given the huge glut of lawyers. In any case, I hope he is clerking now and has good prospects. I hope he has a pedigree. My experience with San Diego is that pay there is abysmal and jobs are very hard to come by for most.
My husband is interning and focusing on veterans advocacy. He was in the military for 21 years, law enforcement and investigations. He was deployed 15 times in his 21 years in the military; gulf war veteran, Iraqi war veteran. I am confident he will do fine. He has the freedom to do whatever he wants after he retired from the military, he will always have passive income. I have a solid career myself so he is able to do what he is passionate about. Between the GI Bill and the scholarships he received $175k to use towards his J.D. He's fortunate (and deserving) to be able to go to school and come out debt free.

Is that "pedigree" enough?

I forget every time I post something about him being in law school I get these idiotic responses. We qualify for a house right now, but I would feel more comfortable to wait until he is done with school.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:45 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
My husband is interning and focusing on veterans advocacy. He was in the military for 21 years, law enforcement and investigations. He was deployed 15 times in his 21 years in the military; gulf war veteran, Iraqi war veteran. I am confident he will do fine. He has the freedom to do whatever he wants after he retired from the military, he will always have passive income. I have a solid career myself so he is able to do what he is passionate about. Between the GI Bill and the scholarships he received $175k to use towards his J.D. He's fortunate (and deserving) to be able to go to school and come out debt free.

I forget every time I post something about him being in law school I get these idiotic responses. We qualify for a house right now, but I would feel more comfortable to wait until he is done with school.
You are free to discount my statements and call them idiotic, but be aware that I have practiced in San Diego and know practitioners there now. Of course, he will have to pass the bar. Let's assume he does. There are so many lawyers clamoring for a job in San Diego that employers can be and are very choosy. I think I know a little bit on this topic. I don't think you realize how many graduates are unable to find a job in SD. It is a dire situation.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:52 PM

771 posts, read 835,768 times
Quote:
We really want to buy a house in Serra Mesa (92123) but inventory is very low and what's on the market is not what we would want to buy. We have VA financing so I'm pretty confident that we will never find a property that will accept an offer with a VA loan. We need to move in August from our current rental and hope we can stay in Serra Mesa and lease again for 1-2 years. Once my husband is done with law school, we should be able to qualify for more and put us in a better position to buy again.
Quote:

What is the primary impediment to your current situation? You mentioned low suitable inventory in the area you like, your use of the VA loan program, and income limitations. Are you hoping that in 1-2 years you'll be able to qualify for somewhere more expensive than SM?

The legal market is very tight everywhere and has been for several years. He's not looking for partner track at a big name firm so that will help once he graduates and passes the bar.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:05 PM

160 posts, read 155,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metoque View Post
This time it's different. Real estate in San Diego never goes down. Chindian billionaires will never stop buying.
Prices seem artificially high now and unsustainable unless incomes increase dramatically. The low end of the market probably doesn't have a lot of room to go down, but the higher ranges seem ripe for a correction.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:10 PM

7 posts, read 23,717 times
What are some of the good condo complexes near Pt Loma selling in the 350 to 475K range? I'd like a 2 bdr 2 ba condo or townhouse. I am single woman, no kids, late 30's looking for a safe, walkable neighborhood with restaurants nearby. Is that realistic?

Old 06-03-2016, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 7,499 times
I didn't read all 24 pages because who has time for that? Considering we are looking to move to the area and our budget is in the $500-600K range, I felt I should read the OP and I had to laugh.

After sitting on Redfin, Zillow and the like for hours upon hours, I'm wondering how out of touch OP thinks most adults are? I'm not expecting a turnkey beachfront property, and I am getting a lot of hits near Vista and Oceanside(as well as Carlsbad) which will be close to where my FI is transferring and the airport which allows me to commute to our offices in the Bay Area and LA easily. Perhaps I'm jaded from living in the Bay Area and from being priced out of even entry level homes here, but I find several livable homes in the San Diego area that have good schools and seem to be in desirable zip codes such as 92078, 92126, and 92011.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:22 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chivone View Post
What are some of the good condo complexes near Pt Loma selling in the 350 to 475K range? I'd like a 2 bdr 2 ba condo or townhouse. I am single woman, no kids, late 30's looking for a safe, walkable neighborhood with restaurants nearby. Is that realistic?
For results, start a new thread or bump up your old one.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:39 PM

771 posts, read 835,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahetland View Post
I didn't read all 24 pages because who has time for that? Considering we are looking to move to the area and our budget is in the $500-600K range, I felt I should read the OP and I had to laugh.

After sitting on Redfin, Zillow and the like for hours upon hours, I'm wondering how out of touch OP thinks most adults are? I'm not expecting a turnkey beachfront property, and I am getting a lot of hits near Vista and Oceanside(as well as Carlsbad) which will be close to where my FI is transferring and the airport which allows me to commute to our offices in the Bay Area and LA easily. Perhaps I'm jaded from living in the Bay Area and from being priced out of even entry level homes here, but I find several livable homes in the San Diego area that have good schools and seem to be in desirable zip codes such as 92078, 92126, and 92011.
Most are out of touch. Look at the recent post in this thread asking about places in Point Loma in a given price range. Five minutes on Zillow or another similar site would answer that and in a better way than anyone here could. You are coming from one of the few US markets where San Diego is less expensive.

Also, if you are talking about nearby McClellan/Palomar airport, that airport hasn't had any commercial airline service for a year or so. You'll most likely need to fly in and out of SAN, which is in downtown San Diego, 35-40 minutes south with zero traffic and often more like 50 minutes with traffic. Unless you are lucky enough to fly private/charter You will, however, want to be aware of noise zones and flight paths around McClellan if you end up buying in the area.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 7,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
Most are out of touch. Look at the recent post in this thread asking about places in Point Loma in a given price range. Five minutes on Zillow or another similar site would answer that and in a better way than anyone here could. You are coming from one of the few US markets where San Diego is less expensive.

Also, if you are talking about nearby McClellan/Palomar airport, that airport hasn't had any commercial airline service for a year or so. You'll most likely need to fly in and out of SAN, which is in downtown San Diego, 35-40 minutes south with zero traffic and often more like 50 minutes with traffic. Unless you are lucky enough to fly private/charter You will, however, want to be aware of noise zones and flight paths around McClellan if you end up buying in the area.
Thank you. I am fortunate in that my company has a contract with Surfair, a charter that has service between there and the Bay Area where our main office is as well as Hawthorne where our other office is. funny you mention flight noise. When we were looking for an apartment in the Bay Area we looked at a place that seemed to be perfect until we realized the noise from SFO while we toured it!

Our move is 100% dependant on FI being able to transfer within his company so we are waiting on final reports there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego