Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:30 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times

Advertisements

That's interesting Tenn. I lived in So MD during my teenage years and Seafood was to MD what Football is to Texans. I miss blue crabs and steamed shrimp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2006, 12:55 AM

52 posts, read 293,273 times
If you like grilled shrimp, you can't do better than La Vache in Hillcrest (Fourth Avenue at Robinson.) Order the "shrimp brochette with aioli" or the "shrimp salad" or both. If you order the brochette, be sure to get fries with it.

There is a second La Vache restaurant in La Jolla.

For a bigger seafood selection, try Anthony's on Harbor Drive downtown (about a mile south of the airport). It's really three restaurants. The bigger, medium priced one offers decent food. Parking is pretty easy at night. The restaurant is built on pilings over the bay with a good view of the cruise ship terminal next door and Coronado and Pt. Loma in the distance.

Old 11-24-2006, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,879 times
Maryland seafood is the best, nothing in Cali could even come close...

Old 11-25-2006, 06:53 PM

138 posts, read 637,573 times
We ended up eating at Tom Hamm's and enjoyed the food, view, and service. I will get some Maryland seafood sometime. We're still on the road- Texas, Arkansas, Missouri- it's been Mexican, BBQ, and steakhouse. We'll make it to Florida, but not MD on this trip.

Old 11-25-2006, 06:55 PM

138 posts, read 637,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
That's interesting Tenn. I lived in So MD during my teenage years and Seafood was to MD what Football is to Texans. I miss blue crabs and steamed shrimp.

I will try them sometime. I did see some Texas football.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:59 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,680,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sraisdanai View Post
Maryland seafood is the best, nothing in Cali could even come close...
I've had both. Not much of a difference if you ask me. What makes Maryland seafood better to you? What is it that you look for in seafood?

Old 11-28-2006, 11:01 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,680,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn or ozark bound View Post
We ended up eating at Tom Hamm's and enjoyed the food, view, and service. I will get some Maryland seafood sometime. We're still on the road- Texas, Arkansas, Missouri- it's been Mexican, BBQ, and steakhouse. We'll make it to Florida, but not MD on this trip.
I'm glad you went there!! What did you have? I love the lobster tail there that they serve with the asparagus!! Mouth is watering for it right now!!

Old 01-26-2007, 02:45 PM

24 posts, read 154,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
There is a 'Fish Market' down on the bay on Harbor Drive.

That's a nice spot and the food is pretty good.

I'm from Maryland orginally, so I've never been that impressed with SD's seafood scene. Now Mexican food, that's a different story.
Stay away from Old Town, Most of the Mexican Food places there are tourist food. You get better food at the berto's type of hole in the wall resturants. (Albertos, Adelbertos, Rigabertos,) You get the idea, Want good mexican food go across the border, the further south the better.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:27 PM

144 posts, read 935,445 times
La Especial Norte has amazing soups and good mexican food. It's in Leucadia, on 101 just south of the Leucadia BLVD/101 intersection. The decor is corny and ridiculious, the menus are corny, the whole place has a vibe (out of place decorations) that I really can't describe. The service is not good....maybe because they don't speak english. But it's a great experience and I love going there.

You can't go wrong with any of their soups. Some good mexican food places are Juanitas and Rauls in encinitas. They are all over the place and the lest touristy/attractive are usually better (Juanitas is among the most unattractive of them, Rauls is a tiny stand attached to a flower shop).

Old 01-29-2007, 01:00 AM

1,029 posts, read 2,481,428 times
Gaslamp near trolley line Tinfish, also one on IB Pier and one on c st called the fish joint.
Yummy fish tacos for under 4 bucks and huge portions!!!
Casual dining
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego