Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 05:27 PM

9 posts, read 25,430 times

Advertisements

Movie from the 70's where the wives were robots always looking perfect and programmed to never disagree with their husbands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 06:54 PM
BNB

172 posts, read 691,837 times
My sister-in-law had no trouble getting a teaching job with GUHSD (Grossmont Union School District) but she was already working in a capacity at the high school she is now employed at. However she is now a counselor. There are a lot of tests and education required. She seemed to always be doing one or the other...and has her Masters.

Best of Luck to you!

Try PUSD...Poway Union School District (one of the best). Poway is a great city too!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:34 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times
My wife is a teacher at SDUSD. General observations I've seen:

Pros:
- SDUSD generally has better pay and (much better) benefits and you will make more money faster. We looked at several suburban districts and the benefits package is not even close.
- SDUSD has all the extra programs so If you are bilingual / special ed you will have more opportunities there
- SDUSD has the partnership with SDSU so you are basically guaranteed a job if you go through the credential program

Cons:
- You will most likely start in a low-performing school (not necessarily a bad thing, my wife prefers it)
- The SDUSD board is seriously out-to-lunch and appears to be anti-progress.
- Overall attendance is starting to decline (again not necessarily bad)

My wife has friends in the better districts and they all seem to complain about what they call "helicopter parents". One teacher was threatened with lawsuits for disciplining a child. Contrast that with the inner-city schools where parents often don't bother to show up for parent-teacher meetings.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:29 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,928,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
My wife is a teacher at SDUSD. General observations I've seen:

Pros:
- SDUSD generally has better pay and (much better) benefits and you will make more money faster. We looked at several suburban districts and the benefits package is not even close.
- SDUSD has all the extra programs so If you are bilingual / special ed you will have more opportunities there
- SDUSD has the partnership with SDSU so you are basically guaranteed a job if you go through the credential program

Cons:
- You will most likely start in a low-performing school (not necessarily a bad thing, my wife prefers it)
- The SDUSD board is seriously out-to-lunch and appears to be anti-progress.
- Overall attendance is starting to decline (again not necessarily bad)

My wife has friends in the better districts and they all seem to complain about what they call "helicopter parents". One teacher was threatened with lawsuits for disciplining a child. Contrast that with the inner-city schools where parents often don't bother to show up for parent-teacher meetings.

Sassberto (or anyone else):
How long ago did your spouse get certified (been teaching)?
Does she think the landscape has changed since then for those getting credentialed at SDSU in terms of the job market (with regard to city/state budget cuts)?
Would (do) you send your kid(s) to SDUSD schools?

Old 02-05-2008, 11:08 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
How long ago did your spouse get certified (been teaching)?
She was emergency credentialed immediately after she got her BA and accepted into the credential program. She was a TA for years before that. I think this is either her third or fourth year as a teacher.

Quote:
Does she think the landscape has changed since then for those getting credentialed at SDSU in terms of the job market (with regard to city/state budget cuts)?
She is a bilingual mod/severe special ed teacher so the demand for her skills is basically unlimited.

Quote:
Would (do) you send your kid(s) to SDUSD schools?
Yes, but only very particular ones, and certainly not my neighborhood schools.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:11 PM

25 posts, read 176,158 times
Sassberto, what is the average class size where your wife teaches? I also teach in an inner-city school, and I feel that our class sizes are becoming larger and larger. 31 is the largest I have right now, but this is an Honors class. Also, are the students split into levels? For example, we have Honors, Academic, and Applied (the really low level kids, usually smaller classes), and then Special Ed. Does she opporate under a block schedule? For example, we have four classes a day, all 84 minutes long. The teachers teach three classes and have one prep. We run September through late June, 7:30-2 pm. I also teach "Afternoon School" daily with the kids who are on probation, court ordered to be in school, etc. Do you think this would be a common thing there as well? I started at 39,000. Is it about the same there? Here, we also have the MCAS test, a test established in response to No Child Left Behind. It's a test all Sophomores much pass, and all studnets must pass to graduate. Schools are under huge pressure to bring these schools up every year. Our lives are overtaken by MCAS, teaching English has become like a side job. I teach to the test in my Honors English class, and then teach to the test in my two MCAS prep classes. Is there an equivilent to this in Cali? I don't know if you would know this, but do you know if the MA teacher's test transfers to CA? And a Masters is not a requirement there, as it is here within five years? I know I have asked a lot! Thanks so much for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego