Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 12:53 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times

Advertisements

From the General Forum, SD Metro ranks 7th for Total Personal Income (Per Capita)

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-personal.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 09:49 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
So what you are trying to say is that the public transportation/subway systems in NYC, Tokyo, Paris, London and Mexico City are all superior to the SD Trolley? Obviously, you don't travel much LOL
NYC, Paris, and London systems are decidedly superior to the SD system. Haven't used Tokyo or Mexico City systems. SD is improving, though. I like the new Rapid routes, at least until the Trolley makes it out here to North County Inland.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:06 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
NYC, Paris, and London systems are decidedly superior to the SD system. Haven't used Tokyo or Mexico City systems. SD is improving, though. I like the new Rapid routes, at least until the Trolley makes it out here to North County Inland.
C'mon now....You should know sarcasm is what I do best

Old 03-28-2015, 11:08 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
We have good transit, to be honest. The problem is that no one uses it because everyone is so spread out. If there was more density along, say, the trolley line, ridership would go through the roof. MTS is setting ridership records, so the demand is there, it's just a matter of fighting against the NIMBYs and the general uneducated mob.
Hilarious! I've used four transit systems on the west coast and San Diego's is the worst of the four. They are working hard to improve it but come on LOL

Old 03-28-2015, 11:15 AM

401 posts, read 444,692 times
Thank you for proving my point.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
It would be useful if it actually went to where most people worked. Places like Sorrento Valley, Rancho Bernardo, UTC area, etc are where a lot of companies actually have offices and where a lot of people work. SD and downtown have been improving, but many of the decent paying jobs aren't downtown, there aren't exactly many companies out near San Diego State, and Mission Valley is great, but it's pretty much malls.

So the reality is if the places where many people work aren't part of the trolley system or it becomes a pain to get transfer multiple trains and/or buses, it's not a good system. It's a system for conference goers and tourists. And if the Chargers wind up leaving, Qualcomm becomes kind of a pointless destination and probably winds up being torn down anyway.
^^^This, there were jobs I didn't take in Sorrento Valley because I didn't want to walk the mile to mile and a half after getting off a bus. Not to mention, the MTS system requires transferring a bit too often which slows trips down. They are improving things a good deal with their new Rapid bus system which is better than the same types of systems in other cities. The only problem with that system is, they left the south bay out.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I also don't think most people have a clue what good transportation systems are if they think SD has a good one. In many other parts of the world, they have real transportation systems where you don't need a car at all. It is more like NYC than SD. SD has a trolley and coaster that doesn't exactly go to some of the biggest companies in SD. And not even close. Sorry, but a good transportation system is more than one where people can go from parties downtown or at a state school to malls in Mission Valley.

In a place like SD, if you don't have a car and work at one of the many offices in Rancho Bernardo or Sorrento Valley(offices of bigger companies that actually might employ thousands of people), it is not an easy commute from most places. And the companies in SD stink as far as any kind of public transportation. You don't exactly need a car in the Bay Area anymore because of the trains and most of the big companies(even companies like Visa and HP) have company buses that take their employees to/from work. When most companies will drive people from downtown to Sunnyvale on a company bus, it kind of helps out. That isn't even a city problem, thats a company problem. I honestly have never heard of any SD company offering some kind of bus for its employees every day. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like any of them do that.
^^^Agreed! My last job was in Mira Mesa and I had to walk about a mile each way to get to it from the bus stop.

Speaking of company buses, when I was in the Bay Area, I had a gig at Google and they have their own buses. All you have to do is get to where they picked up which was simple as most were at BART stations. It's easy not to have a car there.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
I want to know about the job market, why is it that it never has the jobs that LA or San Fran or San Jose has in terms of quantity?
San Diego doesn't have as many corporate headquarters as those other places. We have some, just not as many. This means that, while you may know what's there in other cities, in San Diego, you may overlook them. You have to change the way you look for jobs here. Here, it's good to search an area. You may not know of the companies but as mentioned, good jobs are in areas like Sorrento Valley so look in that area. You may land something really good that you never knew was there. Also, San Diego is a good city in which to be part of an agency.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowHope View Post
It doesn't look like it will extend into Sorrento Valley, though. Am I interpreting the map wrong?
And it's once again concentrating on a mall and a school. We need it to go where people work.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:58 AM

6,507 posts, read 7,538,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
San Diego doesn't have as many corporate headquarters as those other places. We have some, just not as many.
You are correct sir, here is a list, it looks pretty current. It is also a matter of knowing which other companies have a presence in town whether great or small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego