Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 10:43 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,680,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvch View Post
Are you kidding me? I have lived there for two years and NEVER heard gun fire. I sometimes take walks at night. This neighborhood has a bad reputation mainly because many of the residents are immigrants and/or poor. Yes, there is crime. But it is NOT as bad as people are making it seem.
Well I wasn't imagining it (the gunfire) lol.......where exactly do you live in City Heights? Like I said maybe they have cleaned it up since I was there last......I was just in San Diego a few months ago...but don't go out of my way to see City Heights. Last time I saw it though.....it was scary. Made me nervous to drive through there during the daytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 05:32 PM

9 posts, read 66,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
Well I wasn't imagining it (the gunfire) lol.......where exactly do you live in City Heights? Like I said maybe they have cleaned it up since I was there last......I was just in San Diego a few months ago...but don't go out of my way to see City Heights. Last time I saw it though.....it was scary. Made me nervous to drive through there during the daytime.
I live near the library. I admit that it is not a perfect place to live. But it isn't all bad. In fact there are some REALLY nice pockets. Check out Azaela Park or the Islenair sections.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 21,770 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me? I have lived there for two years and NEVER heard gun fire. I sometimes take walks at night. This neighborhood has a bad reputation mainly because many of the residents are immigrants and/or poor. Yes, there is crime. But it is NOT as bad as people are making it seem.
I agree on this one. I lived in San Diego all of my life up until a year ago. I thought it was ghetto there but was never afraid to walk down the street. I don't know about people being friendly since I am not the type of person to smile and say hi. I think it all depends on your background and how you grew up. I grew up in those areas and never felt how I do living in Philadelphia.

I live in Philly now and if you think City Heights is ghetto, come visit North Philly.....

Old 12-11-2006, 08:39 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsamuels7 View Post
I live in Philly now and if you think City Heights is ghetto, come visit North Philly.....
I had an aunt in Philly and used to go there all the time.. Philly is a great city but the ghettos there are really bad.

Many ppl in CA are midwestern transplants and have never seen an East-coast ghetto, so they think a place like City Heights is hardcore. It's pretty bad, but it's not like Philly, or god-forbid... Baltimore! Compton and Watts... Oakland, that's Ghetto. San Diego is a cakewalk.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:42 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,680,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I had an aunt in Philly and used to go there all the time.. Philly is a great city but the ghettos there are really bad.

Many ppl in CA are midwestern transplants and have never seen an East-coast ghetto, so they think a place like City Heights is hardcore. It's pretty bad, but it's not like Philly, or god-forbid... Baltimore! Compton and Watts... Oakland, that's Ghetto. San Diego is a cakewalk.
Your right!! I've been to every state but Alaska..(Dad was an astronomer) and I've seen worse as well. Bottom line....the original post was asking about the area.......there are much better places to live in San Diego, thats all. Heck even armpit El Cajon is better than City Heights.

P.s. ...you forgot Inglewood!! lol I got lost driving thru there one day (took the wrong exit for sure).....NOT fun!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 09:42 AM

12 posts, read 99,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I want to expand on my earlier post to give you a better idea of the area. City Heights is kind of a catch-all name for everything from the 805 to SDSU, but really, it's not all bad and it's not all City Heights either.

City Heights can be defined by the area east of I-805, South of El Cajon Boulevard and north of the 94 fwy, extending to roughly 54th street.

Within that area are three neighborhoods - Teralta East, Teralta West, and Colina Del Sol. 'Downtown City Heights' is centered around 43rd-Fairmount & El Cajon Boulevard.

North of El Cajon Blvd are the neigborhoods of Kensington and Talmadge. East of 54th is the El Cerrito neighborhood. These neighborhoods range from amongst the most prime in the city (the mayor lives in Kensington) to very middle class (El Cerrito). It's important to realize that you can go a few blocks past one of the major streets and be in a perfectly safe area, but go a few blocks in the other direction, and you have a bad neighborhood.

The thing that makes City Heights so bad is that crime has seeped into the interior of the neighborhoods. In all of metro SD you have crime on the major streets - University and El Cajon Blvd are scuzzy from University Heights all the way to La Mesa - but in City Heights, crime exists on the residential streets.

The worst areas of City Heights are bounded roughly by Marlborough Ave to the west and Euclid Ave to the East, between El Cajon Blvd and about Wightman Street. This is the large, flat grid that makes up the 'Heights'. Before the mid-city urban village was put in, this area was absolutely scary! This is where 90% of the crime occurs, mostly drug related.

City Heights differs from other 'bad neighborhoods' because it is a transitory area. Whereas Logan Heights and Skyline are bad because of gangbangers who live at their mom's house in an established residential area, City Heights has a rotating population of ex-cons, parolees, and wanabee gangsters trying to build a rep. In Logan, you will most likely be left alone if you're not affiliated - in City Heights, everyone's a mark.

To the east of Euclid, there is a large hill down into Colina Del Sol which sits like a bowl before climbing up a steep hill to 54th. This area is dominated by immigrants, many of them Somali refugees, as well as Southeast Asians. Overall this area has less crime than City Heights proper, and has some decent amenities like a brand-new school and a golf course and park. This area has more density than City Heights with fewer established homeowners. Unfortunately many of the young Somali and Asian males are adopting the 'thug' mentality, but they are relatively tame in terms of violent crime. The physical barriers keep this area somewhat insulated from the rest of City Heights.

There is a gay enclave centered around the canyon neighborhoods west of Euclid in the Azalea Park neighborhood. It's a bit of an island, as you will have to go through the bad to get to the good, but overall it's a nice area with fairly well-kept homes. The neighborhood dubbed 'Cherokee Point' is South of university between 805 & 15, and is decent as well. It's got a brand-new elementary school and is actually part of 92104.

To sum up - 47th and Meade is not necessarily a bad area. 2 blocks north and it's a great area. 2 blocks south, a bad area. That's a little close for my taste, but don't get the impression it's a warzone.
YOU AINT NEVER LIE...I LIVED OVER THERE BY THAT WATER TANK AND THAT PARK AND LEMME JUST SAY THAT IS IS N A S T Y. PROSTITUTION GALORE NEXT TO THIS CHICKEN POT PIE PLACE (NOT REALLY GOOD FOOD BTW) AND THIS CHECK N GO PLACE. THERE WSNT REALLY ALOT OF MURDER WHEN I LIVED THERE BUT THERE WERE ROBBERIES AND CAR JACKINGS. THERE IS AN ALBERTOS MEXICAN FOOD PLACE THAT HAS THA ABSOLUTE BEST CARNE ASADA BURRITOS AND FRIES THAT I HAVE EVER TASTED IN MY 17 YEARS OF LIFE THO..LOL. BUT YEA THA TRACK ON EL CAJON BLVD IS EVERYTHANG BUT PRETTY. AND ALSO EUCLID IS PURTY BAD ITSELF TOO. FAMBAM A.K.A. FANMART IS THERE AND IT IS NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE. GANGS ARE POSTED AT THE DOORS AND YOU DEFINITELY BETTER GET YOUR COLORS RIGHT BEFORE HEADIN OVER THAT WAY...I DONT KNOW TOO MUCH ABOUT THA OTHER AREAS...IM NOT FAMILIAR WITH NAMES. MORE WITH LANDMARKS...

Old 05-16-2007, 09:47 AM

840 posts, read 6,514,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bLAZEN_mAMI View Post
THERE IS AN ALBERTOS MEXICAN FOOD PLACE THAT HAS THA ABSOLUTE BEST CARNE ASADA BURRITOS

Thanks for making me miss San Diego even more. LOL

Old 05-16-2007, 09:49 AM

12 posts, read 99,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
Thanks for making me miss San Diego even more. LOL
LOL..IM ALREADY KNOWEN. SAN DIEGO GOT SOME OF THA BEST MEXICAN FOOD I HAVE EVER TASTED...AND THATS BECAUSE ITS AUTHENTIC YOU KNO. MY MOM WONT EVEN STEP FOOT IN A MEXICAN RESTURAUNT IF THERES WHITE, BLACK, ASIAN OR ANY OTHER RACE BESIDES MEXICAN OR LATINO WORKING THERE ...

Old 08-14-2007, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 10,758 times
Wink Undeserved bad rep

Quote:
I live near the library. I admit that it is not a perfect place to live. But it isn't all bad. In fact there are some REALLY nice pockets. Check out Azaela Park or the Islenair sections.
I agree with you. There has been substantial redevelopment including and near the library, and I wouldn't have bought a house in the Lexington Park if I hadn't quizzed the neighbors and obtained strongly positive feedback. Other than an occasional soda can tossed in our front yard, there have been no problems to report. Also, people are much friendlier there than in my former El Cajon environs. Lots traffic noise at night, but gunshots? None whatsoever.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:30 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarajasmine8 View Post
I agree with you. There has been substantial redevelopment including and near the library, and I wouldn't have bought a house in the Lexington Park if I hadn't quizzed the neighbors and obtained strongly positive feedback.
What part of City Heights is being given the name Lexington Park? Are we getting another area that's going to be renamed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego