Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:37 AM

4 posts, read 4,744 times

Advertisements

Sorry for all the abbreviations, this is my first post so please go easy on me.

Later this year I'll be leaving my home in London to head out west to study at the University of San Diego, planning to stay at least a year (when my course finishes), but who knows possibly longer.

I have only been to San Diego once before a few years ago and even then I was only there for a couple of days. Whilst I enjoyed myself in a tourist capacity, think San Diego Zoo, Downtown etc, quite understandably I wasn't really able to get a feel for the place and the people in it.

So before I make this life choice, my BIG question to all San Diegans and past residents out there, how easy is it to make friends in your fair city?

If the prospect of meeting new people and making friends is an unattainable goal for a young British gentleman like myself, then PLEASE let me know about it. Save me from making a terrible social and fiscally draining mistake.

But on the other hand if you reckon based on the limited personal information I've shared with you, it could actually be possible, just shout.

If people could share their experiences with me or lend any advice it would be hugely appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 08:06 AM

6,419 posts, read 11,569,943 times
How easy is it to make friends where you are? That's how easy it will be to make friends wherever else you go.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:26 AM

That's a good point and I understand where your coming from with that comment.

It is my fault for being so vague, so what I'm getting at really is in general how easy do you think it is to make friends in San Diego based on your own experiences or from what you've seen?

Also being from a different country will that work against me in terms of making friends?

Old 03-31-2015, 08:37 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,100,681 times
You'll have no problem.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:46 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,340,733 times
Welcome to San Diego! You will have no problem. Be friendly, put a smile on your face, and you're good to go!

Old 03-31-2015, 10:16 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,996,726 times
Do they have Meetup in the UK?

Here's just what's within 10 miles of SD:

http://www.meetup.com/?allMeetups=tr...A&sort=default

Old 03-31-2015, 12:49 PM

That looks awesome, I'm definitely going to check out Meetup when I get there.

By the looks of things it also exists in the UK but I haven't come across it.

Thanks for the suggestion nightlysparrow!

Old 04-01-2015, 02:13 AM

7,364 posts, read 12,614,085 times
My advice is to move in with a couple of roommates. That's easy enough once you're here--there will be websites where students are looking for roommates in the beginning of the semester. It may actually not be all that easy to make true friends, because so many people are here temporarily, but with roommates you will automatically be drawn into the social scene of San Diego, and everybody will love your accent, anyway!

Coming here to study is very different from being here on vacation. Don't let the new requirements and change of pace overwhelm you--you'll adjust, and you'll find your stride. And then you may never want to go home!

Old 04-01-2015, 01:05 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,909,024 times
If you make friends easily, doesn't matter where you live. The challenge is always your circle and your hobbies. If you do a lot of things alone, have a job that is more remote/virtual compared to an office or you work in an industry/job where most people are older/younger/different cultures than you and besides work share nothing in common, and you aren't exactly a bar or mall person, then you might not meet that many people.

If you move to SD and aren't much of an outdoor person or beach person, it might be harder to meet others as that is a big part of SD. But again, what do you do and what do you plan on doing? If you're at college, thats the best time to meet others. If you work in huge offices with a ton of different people, plenty of opportunities.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:41 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,849,844 times
Most everyone here will be entranced by your British accent, or at least intrigued, so that should help out. Americans are suckers for an accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: