U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 02:07 AM

13 posts, read 38,484 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I need your help on an important decision, I'm planning to buy a house or condo in the San Diego area but I'm on a budget, I already know the areas I'm interested in are on my budget but want to get feedback about the areas.

The areas that I'm intersted in are Woodcreek Estates in El Cajon and some apartments that I saw at the Otay Ranch area. From the family living perspective what would be your recommendation? Also, from the Investment perspective what would be your recommendation? I'll be working in the CV area but the commute from both areas is OK.

I got married 2 years ago, have 2 puppies, and we're planning to have kids within the next 2 years.

Your comments will be highly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 10:37 PM

35 posts, read 57,846 times
I don't live in SD and I don't know your budget, but I believe a quick search of this forum of "El Cajon" may give you some answers.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:30 AM

9,428 posts, read 10,371,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulli View Post
Hello,

I need your help on an important decision, I'm planning to buy a house or condo in the San Diego area but I'm on a budget, I already know the areas I'm interested in are on my budget but want to get feedback about the areas.

The areas that I'm intersted in are Woodcreek Estates in El Cajon and some apartments that I saw at the Otay Ranch area. From the family living perspective what would be your recommendation? Also, from the Investment perspective what would be your recommendation? I'll be working in the CV area but the commute from both areas is OK.

I got married 2 years ago, have 2 puppies, and we're planning to have kids within the next 2 years.

Your comments will be highly appreciated.
Thanks,
where will you be working?

Old 04-02-2015, 09:45 AM

601 posts, read 1,360,969 times
+1

I'd consider the length of your work commute first. Gas is expensive and commutes are getting worse.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:22 AM

5,929 posts, read 6,238,982 times
Does CV mean Chula Vista, Carmel Valley, or Chollas View?

Also, that area of El Cajon is on the rural side. Comparing an SFH in rural El Cajon to newer apartments Otay Ranch is somewhat strange.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:19 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,453,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiforever View Post
I don't live in SD and I don't know your budget, but I believe a quick search of this forum of "El Cajon" may give you some answers.
IMO that's not recommended. Before I moved to AZ I was constantly arguing with people about actual El Cajon and wild perceptions. People have a relatively unfair opinion of EC. I grew up there and lived there most of my life. There are parts to avoid and great parts. I'll explain some local insight in my next post.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:22 PM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 501,753 times
Depends where in El Cajon, if you're in the part with all the apartments its ghetto, if not its fine. Mostly just lower/middle class white peoples. They may not drink mimosas and go to charity luncheons, but they are decent and it is reasonably safe.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:38 PM

I'll start off by saying I don't know Otay Ranch that well and most that I have seen of South Bay were some of the county's worst neiborhoods. But Eastlake is very nice so I can't place judgement on Otay without spending time there.

Now for El Cajon. The town proper has a high transient population and quite a bit of drug related crime. Violent crime is pretty low throughout. I couldn't consider any part of EC to be dangerous. The nice parts of town are as follows: Granite Hills (very nice upper middle class area a lot of which have large lots), Fletcher Hills (area up Fletcher Pkwy, west of Johnson to the city boundary with La Mesa), Bostonia (nice middle class area. Great place to live) and most of town along chase, Or north of Broadway is quite nice.

Over recent years there is a large Chaldean population in EC. They are overall pretty nice people. They are moving all over town and often to the crappier parts and revitalizing them as they do. I have watched the demographics change so many times around town that it's almost funny.
El Cajon is inland about 15 miles I'd estimate. There are pros and cons in the change of climate from the coast.
Pros: less prone to fog or marine layer. While the coastal areas are grey most of the year the EC valley tends to have blue sky's.
The summer nights cool off faster than the coast. Same goes for winter and you can have a nice fire going and enjoying some brisk weather (I'm talking 40,s and 50's usually lol.
Cons: Summer temperatures range from mid 85's to upper 90's and go over 100 for about 15 days or so during normal years.
That's really the only weather con.
Good luck finding a home and if you have any other area questions feel free to ask.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:53 PM

5,929 posts, read 6,238,982 times
^^^^ Great summary.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
^^^^ Great summary.
It's takes a native local. Gotta represent East County right .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego