Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:54 PM

35 posts, read 61,596 times

Advertisements

One more thing. I understand the desire for a private school education, but if you look around in the area, you may find it's not necessary in SD. Take a look at these sites if you haven't already:

California School Performance Maps

California School Ratings, school profiles, test scores - San Diego County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 08:36 AM

22 posts, read 25,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiforever View Post
One more thing. I understand the desire for a private school education, but if you look around in the area, you may find it's not necessary in SD. Take a look at these sites if you haven't already:

California School Performance Maps

California School Ratings, school profiles, test scores - San Diego County
Thanks for the links, very good information on schools, saved to my favorites.

We are only interested in secular independent K-12 private schools. If (a big if ) our child gets accepted (intend to apply only to two schools Franscis Parker , La Jolla County day) ,we will let our child take the opportunity. I understand how competitive is to get accepted to top private schools even in entry year like kindergarten) if not we will go with excellent public elementary school and weigh again in future ....may be private for middle school years.

Contrary to my earlier post , in reality we donot need to tap into second salary for private school education , as we planned a way to get that covered with the income we get from rental properties ( actually secret passive income we don't want to think of as household income and is actually intended for our late 40s and early 50s when life gets tough & more stress for most of us with our parents getting much older, kid in college, one of us might not want to work or cannot work etc) thanks to our aggressive ( read road warriors, got to travel) consulting work in our 20's , early marriage, double income, we were able to make few investments in rental properties). We actually took pay cut going fulltime from consulting work when we planned for baby and settled in Dallas.

We both came to this country from India a decade back with a college degree and no money. We are really grateful to God and this country for giving us opportunities.

I am never into writing diary , but writing all of this gives new perspective

Old 04-02-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu4ea View Post
I may be too much of an optimist, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I think it works. There are a lot of areas that I would think could have potential for you. As everyone has stated, you are going to get a lot less house (size, yard, quality), but you are getting land in a nicer place.

On private schools, there are some interesting lesser known options to consider. For instance,

Mission Bay Montessori (in University City, pretty close to La Jolla, actually)
Del Mar Pines (in Carmel Valley)

I am sure there are many other options as well, but both of these are 13k or less a year, with very high quality academics in my opinion.

There are a lot of very strong public schools around as well.

Maybe you rent for a year in an area who has public schools that could work for you while you get your bearings and decide what the best area is for you.
Thanks eu4ea. The zip code 92130 you suggested , I see few houses in our range built after year 2000. Below house has a nice private backyard and no neighbours behind the house

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/...0/home/7492791

Old 04-02-2015, 04:08 PM

148 posts, read 278,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveDilemma View Post
Thanks eu4ea. The zip code 92130 you suggested , I see few houses in our range built after year 2000. Below house has a nice private backyard and no neighbours behind the house

are you serious about no neighbors in the backyard? did you see the little map on the right side of page? it's the 56 Fwy.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:11 PM

19 posts, read 28,189 times
Quote:

The issue with that one is, it backs to the 56, which would cause significant road noise. If you can be even a little further away, it would be much better.

You might want to consider going with public school and then pushing your budget up(?). In that way, you are basically capitalizing (in an accounting sense) the cost of school in your house, which you can presumably recapitalize when you sell. So for instance, if you save $1k a month by going with public school, that gets you about $200k more of buying power etc, though your property tax will be higher (think of it as 1%-ish). A million dollars can still get you somewhere in CV. See this link for recent sales under a million: https://www.redfin.com/zipcode/92130...2&market=socal . I do feel like the current inventory is on the low side now - perhaps potential sellers are waiting for the school year to be closer to being finished.

That said, here is something in your range - check out https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/...0/home/6484244 . The downside (and this is true for much of 92130 - and a lot of San Diego for that matter) is that the houses are close together.

Here is a resource describing the different developments in Carmel Valley (92130):

Carmel Valley Neighborhoods - Carmel Valley Homes

The link you posted is from Soleil, and the one I posted is Sausalito.

The thing with 92130 is, it is conveniently located, and there are a lot of parks, and the schools have great test scores, but - you have to look past that you are paying $1 mil for a tract home. Again, much of the value is wrapped up in the land. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the attitude of entitlement that you might occasionally run across there (comes with the territory I guess).

Last edited by eu4ea; 04-02-2015 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 04-03-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu4ea View Post
The issue with that one is, it backs to the 56, which would cause significant road noise. If you can be even a little further away, it would be much better.

You might want to consider going with public school and then pushing your budget up(?). In that way, you are basically capitalizing (in an accounting sense) the cost of school in your house, which you can presumably recapitalize when you sell. So for instance, if you save $1k a month by going with public school, that gets you about $200k more of buying power etc, though your property tax will be higher (think of it as 1%-ish). A million dollars can still get you somewhere in CV. See this link for recent sales under a million: https://www.redfin.com/zipcode/92130...2&market=socal . I do feel like the current inventory is on the low side now - perhaps potential sellers are waiting for the school year to be closer to being finished.

That said, here is something in your range - check out https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/...0/home/6484244 . The downside (and this is true for much of 92130 - and a lot of San Diego for that matter) is that the houses are close together.

Here is a resource describing the different developments in Carmel Valley (92130):

Carmel Valley Neighborhoods - Carmel Valley Homes

The link you posted is from Soleil, and the one I posted is Sausalito.

The thing with 92130 is, it is conveniently located, and there are a lot of parks, and the schools have great test scores, but - you have to look past that you are paying $1 mil for a tract home. Again, much of the value is wrapped up in the land. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the attitude of entitlement that you might occasionally run across there (comes with the territory I guess).
That's a lot of information. Thanks so much for taking time !!

If commute is taken out of the discussion, say my husband just need to go into La Jolla office 2 or 3 days a week and me working from home office. So mostly we will be spending our time at home ( dream is to work sitting in the patio enjoying beautiful weather and may be views ), evening walks in the community without soaking in bug repellent lotions, once or twice a week to beach , road trips on weekends. Do you still recommend Carmen Valley ? Just looking at delsurliving website, seems to have more family friendly community with events etc., donot want to sit and stare at the TV locked inside running Netflix episodes back to back don't mind houses being closer as long as backyard is private.

Academics are the huge priority, Is elementary school and overall education dynamics in Carmen valley better than delsur? How hard to find tutors if needed outside school, art , piano, indian music vocal lessons?

Regarding entitlement, not sure what that exactly means....brand clothing, shoes, bags etc? We shop at Costco, daily home cooked meals, buy few items like meat, diary organic, myself shop at Express on sale & Macy's on sale, husband is happy with Abercombie and Calvin klein clothes on sale. Kids cloths H&M,Gymboree kind of stores. We just don't feel comfortable or like high end stores like Nordstrom etc ., that said husband enjoys driving nice vehicles (buy not lease).

Last edited by MoveDilemma; 04-03-2015 at 09:54 AM..

Old 04-03-2015, 10:30 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,909,308 times
Sometimes I don't know if half these posts are even real.
"Money not really an issue, commute times not really an issue, etc etc etc not really not an issue... I don't know if people ask these questions in other forums, but SD seems to be filled with individuals where every real persons question, risk, and concern doesn't matter. That's just not real life for most people and yet in SD it seems to be the norm on this forum sometimes.
So why do you need to ask any questions besides what school is goon on a forum ?

Old 04-03-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
"Money not really an issue, commute times not really an issue, etc etc etc not really not an issue... I don't know if people ask these questions in other forums, but SD seems to be filled with individuals where every real persons question, risk, and concern doesn't matter. That's just not real life for most people and yet in SD it seems to be the norm on this forum sometimes.
So why do you need to ask any questions besides what school is goon on a forum ?
Thanks for responding

Let's break the points you raised:

Money not an issue ---- It does.In the past one decade in US , first 6 years ,not a single day off from work.Next 4 years , with fulltime ,got employer paid time off. We plan ,weigh all risks, what ifs before moving forward with anything.

Commute time not an issue---- that is because #1 reason technology jobs 2) go work in the office for a company that supports flexible work options for a year or two, build trust, good work ethic thus in a position to earn privilege to work from anywhere. There are many companies that let employees work from home , more than half the people I know in Dallas work from home.

Asking many questions , not just whether school is good --- just checking greatschools website ,we can get that information regarding schools rating. But asking locals is different. I have been reading forums past few days but I got more information from this discussion thread, thanks to all who responded and also I think it helps for someone looking to move in future. Just going through some discussions on this forum , initially I got the feeling that move is impossible that we get a shack for a million in SD but there seems to be many options if we go further inland , comes closer to Dallas housing prices , here in Dallas housing is not cheap as most think, in a nice suburb community a house costs 600-700K. In San Diego, that will be 800K to Million in a community like Delsur I guess from wht I have seen on their website minus some sq footage.

Last edited by MoveDilemma; 04-03-2015 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: Typos

Old 04-03-2015, 01:15 PM

19 posts, read 28,189 times
Quote:
That's a lot of information. Thanks so much for taking time !!

If commute is taken out of the discussion, say my husband just need to go into La Jolla office 2 or 3 days a week and me working from home office. So mostly we will be spending our time at home ( dream is to work sitting in the patio enjoying beautiful weather and may be views ), evening walks in the community without soaking in bug repellent lotions, once or twice a week to beach , road trips on weekends. Do you still recommend Carmen Valley ? Just looking at delsurliving website, seems to have more family friendly community with events etc., donot want to sit and stare at the TV locked inside running Netflix episodes back to back don't mind houses being closer as long as backyard is private.

Academics are the huge priority, Is elementary school and overall education dynamics in Carmen valley better than delsur? How hard to find tutors if needed outside school, art , piano, indian music vocal lessons?

Regarding entitlement, not sure what that exactly means....brand clothing, shoes, bags etc? We shop at Costco, daily home cooked meals, buy few items like meat, diary organic, myself shop at Express on sale & Macy's on sale, husband is happy with Abercombie and Calvin klein clothes on sale. Kids cloths H&M,Gymboree kind of stores. We just don't feel comfortable or like high end stores like Nordstrom etc ., that said husband enjoys driving nice vehicles (buy not lease).
You're welcome! If you PM me, it would be easier for me to say more.

So on academics, for a place like Carmel Valley that has very high scores, it is always a little hard to disaggregate the effect of the kind of the families that are typically attracted (for instancearents both scientists or engineers, one parent is not working but was a scientist or engineer etc) versus the quality of the teaching. Truth be told, there are wonderful and not so wonderful teachers at ANY school. Even where the scores are high. But I can say in terms of achievement, there are some places where the norm is at a pretty high level.

One way to look at this is to look at the high schools as a culmination of the educational experience. Here are the national merit semifinalists from different schools in California. On page 8 is San Diego city schools. (Don't forget to check other cities as well if you are interested.)

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/16060858...4_035103%20_2_

Here you can see the two Carmel Valley schools (Torrey Pines and Canyon Crest) with a ton of semifinalist students. Del Norte in the area you are interested in is solid. Of course, this is just one perspective, your mileage may vary.

But on the topic of schools, I think Scripps Ranch / Poway could be another good place for you to look. I think you could certainly get a solid home under 800k that feeds to some very nice public elementary schools.

In terms of CV versus Del Sur or one of the other inland places, these are the pros and cons I can think of (I am sure I am missing many):

Cons:
- Expensive for house size - you probably need to stretch a bit / have less margin for safety
- Proximity to beach means cloudier/foggier I think. (But not as hot.)
- May be a little more difficult to raise your child to not feel entitled. Hard to explain, very subjective, and I don't want to offend anyone.

Pros:
- Proximity to beach (perhaps 2-5 degrees cooler or more than some of the inland places also), 5-10 minute drive only
- Proximity to UCSD - a great cultural center for the city, source of tutors, etc
- close to employment opportunities in Carmel Valley and La Jolla/UTC and Downtown. You mentioned investments - that is definitely concentrated a lot in those 3 areas.
- Marginally less fire danger I think, though nowhere is completely safe

Both:
- Extremely kid-oriented family-centric communities. Lots of parks, businesses that cater to families, etc. Probably lots of tutors available at each place, though the most in CV I think? Indian cultural amenities probably closest to Scripps/Poway, though CV has a decent Indian population as well. I don't know about Del Sur.
- I think they are similar in terms of availability of outdoor activities.

A few cons to all these areas are they are less racially and socioeconomically diverse, and though they are nicely kid-oriented, the children can get a warped view of the world if they don't get enough exposure to other areas.

One thing on cost, it is a little tricky to compare apples to apples. Commute time and gas expense etc have to be considered for more remote locations, Del Sur has higher Mello Roos, etc.

At the same time, there are great schools in other places as well, like Encinitas. It all boils down to what is most important for you. Like I said, feel free to PM me, and I can give more detail.

Last edited by eu4ea; 04-03-2015 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: fix link

Old 04-03-2015, 08:32 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,896,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
So why do you need to ask any questions besides what school is good on a forum ?
I hear ya, P-mon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego