Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 06:34 AM

788 posts, read 1,877,947 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or are San Diegans so annoyingly NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) that nothing can ever get done? I mean honestly, the number of recent transplants that are adamantly against new residents/growth is just mind-boggling. I call it Last Newcomer Syndrome. Once you've earned your slice of paradise, no one else is allowed. As a native, I simply can't stand these people.

I'm also increasingly frustrated with the people who continue to cling to the small town mentality. We have 3.3 million people, with about a million more to come in the next few decades. Do you want to end up like San Francisco? Restrict development and then push everyone out (locals) who can't afford it? Wake up! San Diego isn't a small town and restricting development isn't going to return us to the 1970 beach town feel. It's time to get competitive and think outside the box. San Diego is literally the least forward-thinking major city on the Pacific. Portland, Seattle, LA, SF, San Jose? Lightyears ahead of us in terms of planning for the future.

Don't people see that our current policies (state & local) are just making this area a place of haves and have-nots?

-rant over-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 03:38 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Well, call my a nimby as long as the "growth" being roiled over means cramming as many people into new inner city devo as possible that doesn't have amendments to existing infrastructure, schools, fire, PD, etc. It appears the developers simply want to build build build to fatten wallets without providing affordable housing or any perk to existing citizens. Anyone who is willing to take a hit on their own quality of life to allow that may be smokin the hookah a bit much. None of the new housing being proposed is affordable and it's all in areas that will turn us into another stinking LA concrete mess.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:56 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,336,401 times
I think you've got your terminology mixed up. NIMBY-ism generally applies to the incumbent, established, existing population. For instance the ones that have been in the same place anywhere from 5 to 50 years. And now the city/county/whatever wants to come along and build a new highway along the park trail.

What you are referring to is "drawbridge mentality" which is a diplomatic euphemism used to describe newcomers who just came in but then want to deny anyone else. Basically the classic "I got mine...$crew you" mindset.

Similar but very different mentalities.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
I think you've got your terminology mixed up. NIMBY-ism generally applies to the incumbent, established, existing population. For instance the ones that have been in the same place anywhere from 5 to 50 years. And now the city/county/whatever wants to come along and build a new highway along the park trail.

What you are referring to is "drawbridge mentality" which is a diplomatic euphemism used to describe newcomers who just came in but then want to deny anyone else. Basically the classic "I got mine...$crew you" mindset.

Similar but very different mentalities.
NIMBY can apply to anyone with the "not in my backyard" mentality. San Diego has a large portion of natives and transplants who are staunchly NIMBY.

The drawbridge mentality is interesting. I have never heard the term.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:49 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,026,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhkshdcny09 View Post
Is it just me or are San Diegans so annoyingly NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) that nothing can ever get done? I mean honestly, the number of recent transplants that are adamantly against new residents/growth is just mind-boggling. I call it Last Newcomer Syndrome. Once you've earned your slice of paradise, no one else is allowed. As a native, I simply can't stand these people.

I'm also increasingly frustrated with the people who continue to cling to the small town mentality. We have 3.3 million people, with about a million more to come in the next few decades. Do you want to end up like San Francisco? Restrict development and then push everyone out (locals) who can't afford it? Wake up! San Diego isn't a small town and restricting development isn't going to return us to the 1970 beach town feel. It's time to get competitive and think outside the box. San Diego is literally the least forward-thinking major city on the Pacific. Portland, Seattle, LA, SF, San Jose? Lightyears ahead of us in terms of planning for the future.

Don't people see that our current policies (state & local) are just making this area a place of haves and have-nots?

-rant over-
See, its people like you that claim to be progressive development and pro-growth until it comes to your specific backyard. Lets see how pro-growth you are when they want to put a freeway through the neighborhood you just bought in or a shopping center with lots of traffic right next to your kids' school.

I'm the same way my friend. I am so progressive and welcoming of new enterprise and growth, just as long as they keep it out of my neighborhood. No, I don't want any condos going up down the street from me....down the street from you is just fine with me, just not in my back yard.

I'm calling your native card as well and putting it into doubt. Are you sure you were born and raised in SD?

Last edited by echo42; 05-17-2015 at 09:40 PM..

Old 05-18-2015, 08:35 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times
My impression has always been that natives and long timers want it to stay the way it is, newcomers want the big skyline and the "world class city" bit

Old 05-18-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
See, its people like you that claim to be progressive development and pro-growth until it comes to your specific backyard. Lets see how pro-growth you are when they want to put a freeway through the neighborhood you just bought in or a shopping center with lots of traffic right next to your kids' school.

I'm the same way my friend. I am so progressive and welcoming of new enterprise and growth, just as long as they keep it out of my neighborhood. No, I don't want any condos going up down the street from me....down the street from you is just fine with me, just not in my back yard.

I'm calling your native card as well and putting it into doubt. Are you sure you were born and raised in SD?
About every assumption you have made about me is wrong. I want the 2 story apartments next to my house to become 4 story. I want our strip mall shopping center down the street to be mixed-use and higher density. I am more than willing to give a road diet to our local avenue in favor of bike lanes & bus lanes, even though I have never dared take a bike down that dangerous stretch of road.

I was born at Tri-City hospital and have lived here my entire life with the exception of 3 years for graduate school and study abroad. High school, college, weekends, weekdays all in SD. I live and breathe San Diego and I for one am willing to make small sacrifices to give our city improved transit, economic development, and affordable housing.

San Diego has infinite potential and is an amazing place to live. Being a NIMBY does not benefit anyone in the long run. You stopped them from building that new mixed-use shopping center- guess where they are going to put the new 99cent store:Your local, outdated strip mall

Share the piece of paradise. Otherwise we'll all be priced out

Since when does being a San Diegan mean short-sighted or NIMBY?! What happened to the competitive city that built Balboa Park against all odds? How about the city that created the best zoo in the world!? Or the city that INVENTED THE CALIFORNIA BURRITO.

Let's face it: we're awesome. However, we're slowly losing out to places like LA, SF, Seattle, and Portland. We really are the most backwards coastal metro in the West when it comes to sustainable and progressive planning. Wake up people! We're getting further behind!

Old 05-18-2015, 01:29 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,150,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
My impression has always been that natives and long timers want it to stay the way it is, newcomers want the big skyline and the "world class city" bit
You would be correct except for the fact that people born here have a different perception when they are young. It's normal and refreshing. It is part of being young and necessary otherwise we would stagnate as people and as a society. Things change as we get older. Ask me how I know!

So in essence if you are talking to middle aged people who are natives, they no doubt like it the way it is.

Housing prices are indeed pricing out young people and I can see the enormous frustration in coastal California. We will end up being mostly old people since young people are priced out. The IE seems to be gaining tons of millennials, however. But we know that's not where people want to be.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:35 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times
This sounds like the same thing going on in Denver lol! Tens of thousands of people are moving here, the city is becoming much more dense, and all of a sudden the "old-timers" are screaming that they don't want any more change. Meanwhile, housing costs and rents are going through the roof.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
You would be correct except for the fact that people born here have a different perception when they are young. It's normal and refreshing. It is part of being young and necessary otherwise we would stagnate as people and as a society. Things change as we get older. Ask me how I know!

So in essence if you are talking to middle aged people who are natives, they no doubt like it the way it is.

Housing prices are indeed pricing out young people and I can see the enormous frustration in coastal California. We will end up being mostly old people since young people are priced out. The IE seems to be gaining tons of millennials, however. But we know that's not where people want to be.
Yes, spot on. Actually it's as much about young people as the elderly. How are seniors with limited mobility and no driver's license expected to get around? Does everyone plan on living in a retirement community? Does everyone have the money to live there or afford a caregiver? The elderly are typically the most income constrained and physically limited population. They can't afford to live in large suburban houses or isolated condo complexes because they can't drive.

I hope to God that middle aged people are not expecting to drive for the rest of their lives

Higher density has equal benefits for the young, old, and lower income. Progressive planning is about catering to all population groups, not just suburban families with children.

San Diego needs to be more strategic and less opposed to developments that actually make sense. If you live near downtown, then expect higher density! Expect infrastructure and services that do not cater to the automobile. The fact that the 4/5th avenue bike lanes are an issue is absolutely ridiculous. It's arguably the most appropriate place to build them and I'm not even a biker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego