Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 09:37 PM

9,787 posts, read 11,443,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
just guessing their are the statue of liberty play to shut down the unions.
most of them here are pulling out
when they fold the unions will be left at the altar.
Yep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 01:17 AM

15,111 posts, read 32,143,493 times
The latest......

Gelson's, Smart & Final bid on Haggen stores in California.....

Someone else can post the link.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:50 AM

444 posts, read 661,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The latest......

Good news! hopefully they'll take in some of those ex-Haggen workers.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:10 AM

15,111 posts, read 32,143,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
Good news! hopefully they'll take in some of those ex-Haggen workers.
The article said that they're welcoming them. So that's good news.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:50 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,174,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastiannight View Post
What? Sorry, but I don't believe this. "Renting" a shopping cart is common all over Europe. But you always get your coin back.
I have no idea about all over Europe but I do know in UK it is common and also the practice in Poland. I have never heard though, one does not get the money back. Actually some of our stores, Aldi's for sure are doing the same thing. It is a great idea, people always put the carts back. This way, no one is out their money, the parking lots are not crowded with carts and the carts last a lot longer. I have to wonder, when someone posts they don't get their money back. Agree with you, this doesn't sound legit.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:52 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,605,276 times
By design they'd have to give you back your deposit otherwise I think the cart thefts would rise?

Old 10-06-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The latest......

Smart and final also pays better than average so at lease it wont be to big of a pay cut.
Most of Haggen Stores had more part timers than full timers.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:05 PM

94 posts, read 91,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have no idea about all over Europe but I do know in UK it is common and also the practice in Poland. I have never heard though, one does not get the money back. Actually some of our stores, Aldi's for sure are doing the same thing. It is a great idea, people always put the carts back. This way, no one is out their money, the parking lots are not crowded with carts and the carts last a lot longer. I have to wonder, when someone posts they don't get their money back. Agree with you, this doesn't sound legit.
I can remember when I was a young child, about 35 years ago, that the go to supermarket where my mum shopped had those carts without the deposit. And yes I also can remember those dodgy carts where one wheel don't had contact to the floor I think the deposit system is standard at all supermarkets in Germany for the last 30 years. I also think that all European countries I have visited so far have this system. In America I would probably search a while for the slot where I have to insert a coin to release the cart I would make a fuss when I don't get my coin back.

Many if not most people have a chip for the cart on their key ring:

I am pretty sure that over time the cart deposit system will become also the norm in the U.S.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastiannight View Post
I can remember when I was a young child, about 35 years ago, that the go to supermarket where my mum shopped had those carts without the deposit. And yes I also can remember those dodgy carts where one wheel don't had contact to the floor I think the deposit system is standard at all supermarkets in Germany for the last 30 years. I also think that all European countries I have visited so far have this system. In America I would probably search a while for the slot where I have to insert a coin to release the cart I would make a fuss when I don't get my coin back.

Many if not most people have a chip for the cart on their key ring:

I am pretty sure that over time the cart deposit system will become also the norm in the U.S.
I doubt it!
Big Bear supermarket tried that and it help ruin them
Remember Them
Retailing - latimes

Old 10-25-2015, 02:31 PM

20,830 posts, read 16,979,063 times
When is Haggens last day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego