Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:17 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times

Advertisements

With so many other stores I don't see why anyone shops at the big 3 in SD. Between farmers markets, WM and Target plus the other stores like Sprouts we have probably the best choices in the US. On top of that you can grow your own fruits and vegetables year round!

We used to run down the flyers and hit one once in a while but honestly, stores like WM beat those prices every day for the exact same goods.

I suppose if you just have to support a grocery worker's pension then have at it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 10:04 AM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Between farmers markets, WM and Target plus the other stores like Sprouts we have probably the best choices in the US.
It is so true, and there are many you didn't mention either. My buddy lives in OKC with his family, the only grocery option in that city seems to be WalMart Super Center. I don't recall seeing any other grocery stores and he confirms that WM SC is pretty much it. SD is lucky to have all these different options.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:57 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I drove past that area the other day and noticed the Haggens and figured I might as well check it out. I was not impressed and thought it was a little bit expensive for what they sold. And i shop at Whole foods or Jimbos most of the time. It just seemed like an overpriced Ralphs.
yes

Old 05-13-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
A lot of hate here for Haggens...wow. I lived in San Diego Co. for over 30 years & I wish Haggens had been there. They took over Albertson's in the PNW & it appears to be an improvement.
no

Old 05-13-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
With so many other stores I don't see why anyone shops at the big 3 in SD. Between farmers markets, WM and Target plus the other stores like Sprouts we have probably the best choices in the US. On top of that you can grow your own fruits and vegetables year round!

We used to run down the flyers and hit one once in a while but honestly, stores like WM beat those prices every day for the exact same goods.

I suppose if you just have to support a grocery worker's pension then have at it
WM seems anti-true-american

Old 05-13-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
WM seems anti-true-american
I bought an American flag there last year.

It was made in China.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:53 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:

I pretty much only go to the "regular" grocery store for cat litter and paper towels. Other than that it's Sprouts, the farmers' markets, and Trader Joe's (much MUCH better cheese selection than Sprouts). I'm only feeding me and I only really buy produce, bread, cheese, and occasionally meat (plus staples like olive oil, sugar, etc) so those are good options for me.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
It is so true, and there are many you didn't mention either. My buddy lives in OKC with his family, the only grocery option in that city seems to be WalMart Super Center. I don't recall seeing any other grocery stores and he confirms that WM SC is pretty much it. SD is lucky to have all these different options.
When we were in the sticks in CO we had a Safeway and a small local place. We spent way more time in the Soopers vs SW. About everything was cheaper. OKC is probably the same way. I was there a long time ago but can't remember the store names for the local chains.

But like here the local butchers are numerous. I prefer to shoot my own

Old 05-13-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I pretty much only go to the "regular" grocery store for cat litter and paper towels. Other than that it's Sprouts, the farmers' markets, and Trader Joe's (much MUCH better cheese selection than Sprouts). I'm only feeding me and I only really buy produce, bread, cheese, and occasionally meat (plus staples like olive oil, sugar, etc) so those are good options for me.
Yuppers. I forgot the fact we have some local butchers now too.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:56 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
I went to Haggen's on Sunday to check it out. I found their produce to be quite expensive ($4/lb for grapes?), and since that's the bulk of what I buy, I'll probably skip it from here on out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego