Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 08:30 AM

256 posts, read 398,908 times

Advertisements

I live in NJ, and I may have job offers in LA (Pasadena to be specific) and SD. Moving to either location will depend on my wife's job outlook. She's a highly qualified and experienced high school math teacher in NJ (over a decade of teaching). But if she can't get a job out west, then my extra salary won't mean too much. Initially, I didn't want to think about this until I was hired, but I also think it's a good idea to plan ahead whenever possible.

My questions are:

1. How easy is it to find a job as a high school math teacher in the San Diego and surrounding area?
2. What kind of salary should she expect?
3. How does SD and LA teaching compare? Specifically, do teachers find that teaching in SD is more enjoyable than in LA, or vice versa? (I know that last question requires someone who taught at both places, but I threw that in there just in case someone can answer it.)
4. Are there websites that she can use to find a math teaching job at public or private schools? In NJ, you just have look through every school's employment website. Is there a single website that gathers teaching specific job ads for people to look through?
4. Any other info I should know or consider when it comes to finding a teaching job in math in San Diego area and Pasadena?

I'll be posting the same message in the SD forum, but just curious to know your thoughts. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 08:35 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,806,921 times
Look up Edjoin for job postings. Have some friends in teaching. Need to be credentialed and have a little luck.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:49 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,650,636 times
People refer to jobs in "Los Angeles" or "San Diego" but as you know, these are two very spread out cities with large surrounding areas. There are a wide variety of school districts and high schools that could be considered "LA area" or "SD area", ranging from inner city to suburban to rural, so it's hard to compare "San Diego" and "Los Angeles" schools or discuss your wife's chances of landing a job in either area in any meaningful way.

Much will depend on where your job is located and how long of a commute you both are willing to have in terms of your wife's options. For instance, if you're working in Pasadena, depending on where you decide to live, your wife may be able to look for jobs in Orange County or even parts of Riverside or San Bernardino County. Or, you might work in northern San Diego County, opening the door to living close to southern Riverside County for jobs. Or any one of many other variations.

Eastcoastbias is spot on: EdJoin is a good starting point for getting a sense of salaries in Southern California schools. In addition to EdJoin, once you have an idea of where you will be working and living, she can also check the websites of individual districts for job listings. Sometimes teaching jobs don't make it to Edjoin. She can find all of the school districts in San Diego County listed here: San Diego County School Districts

Don't overlook private schools as options for employment. They may not pay as much or have the benefits of some publics, but can be good options. Charter schools are more common here than back east, so your wife will want to understand the philosophies of any charter schools she might consider. Online schools and homeschool charters are also more common here in California than back east, and might be worth looking into if your wife doesn't mind a less traditional teaching environment.

Usually, an experienced teacher won't have trouble getting her California credential, but she should start that process as soon as possible after you make your job decision, as most school districts will be hiring soon for next year, and having the credential will help. See: California Commission on Teacher Credentialing

Having California English Learner Certification and a master's degree will open more doors when it comes to teaching jobs, both here and in LA. For many public school jobs, the EL certification is a requirement. Details about California EL certification can be found on the above CA certification link.

However, it seems to me that the first step is for you and your wife to decide which of the two jobs will be the best opportunity for you. Once you know where you will be working, then you and your wife can narrow the areas that to look for a teaching job, and where it makes sense to live so that you both have a reasonable commute. Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by RosieSD; 04-11-2016 at 11:28 AM..

Old 04-11-2016, 01:28 PM

Thank you both for this. Just curious, but would a prestigious private school pay less than public schools? I know you were speaking in general terms, but I am wondering if this still holds true at the top-end private schools.

Thanks.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_vader123 View Post
Thank you both for this. Just curious, but would a prestigious private school pay less than public schools? I know you were speaking in general terms, but I am wondering if this still holds true at the top-end private schools.

Thanks.
Honestly, from what I have been told it is a VERY tough market but If you happen to have choices not all Public Districts pay equally and some have better benefits packages with the one consistent being each will feed into the same Retirement System. Salary scales are available on each district website.

Of course, education and service time will put you at different salary points. I've heard some Districts are not generous with out of state service time, while others will place you according to your prior service years.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Honestly, from what I have been told it is a VERY tough market but If you happen to have choices not all Public Districts pay equally and some have better benefits packages with the one consistent being each will feed into the same Retirement System. Salary scales are available on each district website.

Of course, education and service time will put you at different salary points. I've heard some Districts are not generous with out of state service time, while others will place you according to your prior service years.
Hey EastCoastBias...when you say very tough market are you referring to private schools or any school?

Old 04-11-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_vader123 View Post
Hey EastCoastBias...when you say very tough market are you referring to private schools or any school?
I know a few people personally seeking out any and all teaching opportunities. Both are credentialed, have a Masters degree, one was coming back (had six years of service) off of a three year "change of career/focus plan". I hear Lots of competition and few opportunities but both seem capable in an interview setting- Edjoin may or may not tell you the same story.

In general cuts have been happening in education for years.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I know a few people personally seeking out any and all teaching opportunities. Both are credentialed, have a Masters degree, one was coming back (had six years of service) off of a three year "change of career/focus plan". I hear Lots of competition and few opportunities but both seem capable in an interview setting- Edjoin may or may not tell you the same story.

In general cuts have been happening in education for years.
Oh man. Sounds like San Diego may be a rough place for teachers.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:52 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,147,437 times
We have a teacher shortage in Orange County.

Just remember our housing costs are very high.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:28 PM

686 posts, read 1,138,640 times
Across almost every industry, including teaching, the LA area will have more jobs and better pay with a similar cost of living. LA is just a hard place to live and not a "paradise" destination like San Diego. 90% of folks in the USA will name San Diego as a dream destination and would move if money was no object. Competition for jobs is fierce and employers can, and will be picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego