Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:34 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post

Who cares. If you love nature and outdoor activities, sorry but SD isn't close to the PNW. But if you love the beach and sunshine and great weather, SD is the best. And places like Portland have been invaded by too many hipsters for my liking.
Well said.
Cloud cover is underappreciated for allowing more time outdoors, though kind of paradoxically at higher risk of skin cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 10:41 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
and I LOVE the restos in PDX...they even get the simple basics right such as great salads, bread, and wine by the glass--something I also get in SF but not surprising, since many Bay Area transplants have invaded the Portland area...like SD good craft beer scene (edge to SD) and wine (edge to Willamette Valley over Temecula).

Old 04-15-2015, 11:49 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I think you know that there seem to be infinitely more persons interested in moving to SD. Why do you suppose that is?
Appeal to the majority.

Could be economic factors; could be familial factors; it could be climactic factors. The reasons could be many.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:50 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
Nothing like bashing some other poster on some other forum where that person probably never will even read what's said here. I guess that's the argument people want SD to win.

Who cares. If you love nature and outdoor activities, sorry but SD isn't close to the PNW. But if you love the beach and sunshine and great weather, SD is the best. And places like Portland have been invaded by too many hipsters for my liking.
I'm confused by this. I love nature and outdoor activities, and there's stuff for me to do year-round here. It's exactly WHY I love it here. It's a different landscape, sure, but you have the coastal areas and the mountains in the summer and the inland areas and the deserts in the winter. There's VAST amounts of space in San Diego County that are undeveloped and open for exploring. Just because it's not as green doesn't mean it's inferior when it comes to outdoor activities.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:57 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
To answer the OP's OQ: I live in North Park, and as far as temperature goes, it's pretty close to a sweet spot. A little warmer than the immediate coast, but still gets the nice West Breezes. I think it has to do with how it sits on the plateau, the breezes seem to sweep up to us from the bay. Most of the central area neighborhoods have the same weather

Any farther inland can get too warm in the summer months- I work in Escondido, and speaking from observation over the past 10 years, the temperature is pretty consistently 10 degrees hotter in summer and 10 degrees colder on chilly winter mornings, as many posters have noted.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:15 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I'm confused by this. I love nature and outdoor activities, and there's stuff for me to do year-round here. It's exactly WHY I love it here. It's a different landscape, sure, but you have the coastal areas and the mountains in the summer and the inland areas and the deserts in the winter. There's VAST amounts of space in San Diego County that are undeveloped and open for exploring. Just because it's not as green doesn't mean it's inferior when it comes to outdoor activities.
I believe S Cal has more BLM land than any other state! In many areas you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the north and south of the state, minus the Giant Redwoods, but there are still plenty of pine forests here not far from the Ocean. Personally, if I lived in the northern part of the state I probably wouldn't be up to the Mts as much because of the rain.
I love the oak groves in the canyons too.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:31 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,203 times
Man in the middle of summertime July and August the hottest it gets down by the beach is like 80 degrees. Compare that to 115 degrees in Phoenix and Las Vegas.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:45 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Man in the middle of summertime July and August the hottest it gets down by the beach is like 80 degrees. Compare that to 115 degrees in Phoenix and Las Vegas.
Or the oppressive humidity found on the east coast..

Old 04-20-2015, 04:51 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
factual

Old 04-20-2015, 10:14 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I love SD, but there is nothing like Mt Rainier in Seattle or Mt Hood in Portland. Not even close. There is nothing like the Cascade Mountains and even the lakes, water, Sound, are just like living on a different planet at times. And while the beaches are kind of far off and cold, you still can enjoy them if you know how. And if you want the desert, the easter parts of Oregon and Washington state are pretty much desert. And places like Moses lake are kind of cool. And if you want to see an actual rain forest, the Olympic Mountains have that as well.

SD has many things, but when it comes to actually enjoying nature, it comes nowhere near like what you would see in the PNW. And nobody really enjoys places like Glamis in July. Big Bear is kind of cool, but I've been there in the summer and it is far different and far less crowded in the summer. It almost becomes the opposite of a summer beach town that closes in the winter. And lets not pretend like driving 8+ hours up north is a real scenario, because if you start including 8+ hour drives anywhere in the world, things start to look far different. Nobody in San Fran includes San Diego as a close place to visit. It could be an option, but driving from SF to SD or vice versa isn't exactly a weekend trip. And take it from me, I've done that trip multiple times due to work and it kind of sucks if you leave on a Friday night and have to drive back Sunday night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego