Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:36 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Interesting about Japan given the uber strict gun laws. For myself Hawaii in the 50's and Europe and in the USA. For myself Alaska hands down. Hard to say why given the gun deaths there however in Eagle River as I said 17 miles outside Anchorage there is no crime. It also may be the fact that a person can carry a weapon to defend against be it man or beast or a combination of the two. So it would appear that the ability to defend oneself lends itself to my personal safety. Glad we got off the first page.
There's no real disconnect in Japan re: low crime and extremely controlled gun ownership laws. Gun control advocates here have tried to use Japan as an example of how society would be safer with strict gun control. But, much as I dislike guns, the reason Japan has such low crime has to do with their culture. Not their gun laws.

That all said, I was a combat aviation ordinanceman in service. Personally, I got my fill of the stupidity of guns. I've never felt the need to carry a weapon outside of the war. I still own several but never go shooting anymore. My boys both hunt rabidly. But even they, like me, have switched to bow hunting for an increased intensity of sport.

Personal protection? Phbbbbt. The statistics make it overwhelmingly clear that guns in the hands of the public is insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 10:32 PM

8 posts, read 17,327 times
Default San Diego should thank God for LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
There's no real disconnect in Japan re: low crime and extremely controlled gun ownership laws. Gun control advocates here have tried to use Japan as an example of how society would be safer with strict gun control. But, much as I dislike guns, the reason Japan has such low crime has to do with their culture. Not their gun laws.
Sensible point. America is not a mono-racial, mono-cultural society of people who overwhelmingly believe in rule of law, like Japan is. Nor do we have a government like Japan's that defends its borders and enforces immigration laws (and all laws) consistently, which lets the Japanese populace feel safe.

This has nothing to do with the original post, but anyway. I'd only point out that Bill (and Hillary) strengthened the Mexico-San Diego border (Operation Gatekeeper) in '94, and that's one of the reasons San Diego is safe. Plenty of Mexicans come in and go out... LEGALLY. And they are welcome to do so... LEGALLY.

Another point to make is that LA, which is the failure everyone says it is, attracts the riff-raff away from San Diego. Any drug-running illegal who sneaks across the border makes a beeline for LA county, where he will have a network to support him and a Democratic government to look the other way. Thank God for LA.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:07 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbound244 View Post
Sensible point. America is not a mono-racial, mono-cultural society of people who overwhelmingly believe in rule of law, like Japan is. Nor do we have a government like Japan's that defends its borders and enforces immigration laws (and all laws) consistently, which lets the Japanese populace feel safe.

This has nothing to do with the original post, but anyway. I'd only point out that Bill (and Hillary) strengthened the Mexico-San Diego border (Operation Gatekeeper) in '94, and that's one of the reasons San Diego is safe. Plenty of Mexicans come in and go out... LEGALLY. And they are welcome to do so... LEGALLY.

Another point to make is that LA, which is the failure everyone says it is, attracts the riff-raff away from San Diego. Any drug-running illegal who sneaks across the border makes a beeline for LA county, where he will have a network to support him and a Democratic government to look the other way. Thank God for LA.
LOLwut!
I don't even know where to begin

Old 05-10-2016, 12:39 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times
We tend to forget how culture, our environment different social backgrounds and weather plays a big role in how it influences the populace here on determining what choices they make based on those factors that surround them. As San Diego is a nice place to live, with nice scenery abound, it calms us down and sorta gives you a numbing effect with all the natural beauty here. So nobody feels the need to cause harm to somebody or steal from someone. But they're exceptions.

Dump everyone in ultra big urban cities like a Chicago, NYC, Detroit where everybody is crammed together with ugly surroundings for the most part, it will truly have an affect on your psyche. Being NON PC here again, but I truly believe each race or ethnicity of people have there own unique characteristics about them that is driven heavily through genetics that can't be as controlled through self discipline. Our genetics highly influences our interest in things, our mannerisms and so forth. If your dad was a doctor that doesn't automatically mean you will have his smarts, and same interest as him to follow in his footsteps, but it does help.

As far gun laws go, the more I read up and study the true cause of the reasons why the government is trying to add more laws to the books in order to make it harder for people to get guns. the more I realize that the government is really working on to disarm the entire population of the U.S. slowly over time so as citizens we can't fight back the government's implementation of the New World Order when martial law goes into effect when we are controlled by them. I know it sounds crazy, but this stuff is real, and has been planned for many years they are just waiting for the right time to to do it. At the end of the day, the survivalist will be the ones still alive and well using old world methods to survive, and have old things that won't be affected by an EMP attack, while us city folks will be in chaos and distress.

On one hand if someone had a concealed weapon on them and there really was a mass shooting occurring in the moment, that person that is armed can take out the shooter and possibly prevent many deaths from happening. I don't see the issue with that. But open carry gives off a threatening image and can make people nervous. It's like say if somebody cut in front of you in line at the movie theaters, and you nudged the guy that cut in line and said "What the hell are you doing"?, instead of him throwing down and fighting you like a man, he'll be quick to shoot you dead. To live in a society with open carry laws, is scary and is feels like you're in constant fear of being shot.

The U.S. has a culture problem, and that problem is immorality. The biggest reason why our country succumbs to such heinous crimes with sick and twisted people.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:43 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I think a lot of the city-data members here on the SD forum tend to be upper class with a lot of expendable dough on hand, and it's my belief that many of you most likely live in nice communities far away from the "hood", or rough stuff, and never experienced what it's like to live in a really run down, crappy area in SD, because although SD has a lot of nice communities, we also share the same amount of ****ty ones.

I can name multiple area's in SD that aren't necessarily ghetto and are full of drug dealers, gangsters, and overall bad people, but they are really run down, super sketchy, trashy and nasty neighborhoods. Lemon Grove comes to mind, Spring Valley like I mentioned before. Many parts of El Cajon, Lakeside, many parts of Escondido. OB, and PB as well.

Rosie, I really hope you're joking.

Really?

Ever driven down Ocean View Blvd or Logan Ave at night near Lincoln Park? Or Stockon and Memorial neighborhoods? How about down National Ave heading down towards Nasty City? Those whole area's are "hood" and gang infested and I would never be stupid enough to casually just walk down those streets late at night. The street smart kid in me says so.
My point was not that La Jolla is not safe, but rather using the term "ghetto" to refer to any place where murders have happened. Crazy crap can happen anywhere -- even in the nicest areas. The crazies and criminals have cars too. Hope that clarifies.

I do agree with you that there are plenty of sketchy areas in San Diego County. And also that many people that post here don't get out of their immediate areas much, and so tend to have stereotyped ideas about other sections of the county somewhat.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:55 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbound244 View Post
S
Oh this is a good joke, Snowbound!

San Diego County probably has just as many undocumented residents as LA. And, not all undocumented folks are hispanic, or living in poverty. The thing about undocumented folks is that they don't tend to advertise their status. It's even possible that some of your neighbors are living here without papers.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:56 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
My point was not that La Jolla is not safe, but rather using the term "ghetto" to refer to any place where murders have happened. Crazy crap can happen anywhere -- even in the nicest areas. The crazies and criminals have cars too. Hope that clarifies.

I do agree with you that there are plenty of sketchy areas in San Diego County. And also that many people that post here don't get out of their immediate areas much, and so tend to have stereotyped ideas about other sections of the county somewhat.

I'm all over SD, seen it all, and been through it all. Every city has "Hoods" and "Ghettos", and SD is no different, people just assume because we are a coastal city in CA with great weather and seeing beautiful pictures or Ads on TV showing off San Diego as this wonderful paradise city, they tend to forget or don't want to believe we have some pretty janky looking areas and neighborhoods throughout the city and county...

I remember the days where residents/people had to speed through the streets in Sherman Heights and Barrio Logan/Logan Heights because gang members would always be hanging out on different blocks waiting to shoot at cars that they didn't recognize. It was serious back then.

There was a time where I went to Chicano Park in the middle of the day, and this Vato came out of nowhere and chased after me with a baseball bat right before I drove away! You don't see this kind of stuff happening anymore, but those things were a common occurrence many years ago.

One thing about SD that is unique in a sense compared to other major cities is we have always has had relatively low Hispanic population rate considering how big of a city SD is, being in CA, and how close the border is. Including other minorities. So even in the most segregated communities in SD, you still had a high number of Whites that lived in these areas, and they acted like a barrier from possibly causing all out warfare on the streets when it came to gangs and crime overall.

Unlike in L.A., where if you lived in Compton or anywhere in South Central, or East L.A. like in the Boyle Heights, you never saw a White person for miles. Plus the poverty rate and the amount of it, was so bad for so many years up there.

In SD, we don't have tons of areas or neighborhoods that are poverty stricken on the scale of larger cities where crime is worse. SD's smaller footprint helps contain serious crime to only certain neighborhoods and locations which is most likely South SD and SouthEast SD, and Mid-City. Everywhere else in SD is basically suburban and nice.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:23 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

That all said, I was a combat aviation ordinanceman in service. Personally, I got my fill of the stupidity of guns. I've never felt the need to carry a weapon outside of the war. I still own several but never go shooting anymore. My boys both hunt rabidly. But even they, like me, have switched to bow hunting for an increased intensity of sport.

Personal protection? Phbbbbt. The statistics make it overwhelmingly clear that guns in the hands of the public is insanity.
There ya go again. Darn. There was a guy in a coffee shop in Washington state suburb outside of Seattle a couple weeks ago when a guy started attacking the counter guy with a machete. (just your run o the mill psychopath)....but then he comes after the customer. Customer shoots and kills the menace with a legal gun concealed on him. A few years back in Alaska a guy walking his dog heard a crack behind him and a 850 pound brown bear gave him no quarter. Here's the link:

Twig snap alerts dog-walker to charging grizzly | Alaska Dispatch News

I get it that you feel safer but please in your wisdom don't label the rest of us insane. It's offensive.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:03 AM

401 posts, read 444,578 times
I actually kind of think bringing back blood sport would be interesting... Imagine seeing a gladiator match!

Old 05-10-2016, 09:21 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
There ya go again. Darn. There was a guy in a coffee shop in Washington state suburb outside of Seattle a couple weeks ago when a guy started attacking the counter guy with a machete. (just your run o the mill psychopath)....but then he comes after the customer. Customer shoots and kills the menace with a legal gun concealed on him. A few years back in Alaska a guy walking his dog heard a crack behind him and a 850 pound brown bear gave him no quarter. Here's the link:

Twig snap alerts dog-walker to charging grizzly | Alaska Dispatch News

I get it that you feel safer but please in your wisdom don't label the rest of us insane. It's offensive.
I didn't label any individual as insane. I label guns in the public's hands insane.

Offensive? Gun violence is offensive.

You know, specious anecdotal stories, from either side of the argument, don't define the realities of the issue. Statistical studies do - as does analysis of human psychology. Guns are occasionally used by individuals in a variety of ways that serve to save lives. Guns are often used in vastly more instances to wreak havoc and death. Vastly more. Persons such as yourself, who fear being one of the minority statistics, are many. It's perfectly understandable. It's not insane.

What is far smarter, however, is to use your rational mind to avoid circumstances that expose one to obvious risks. And, while I realize you can't control every possible bizarre circumstance, living in fear of that truth is far more restrictive and frankly psychologically debilitating - than accepting it. These one-in-a-trillion events, such as a lunatic randomly appearing with a machete when you happen to be buying a Slurpee, end up affecting a statistically insignificant number of people. Living your life in fear of such odds working against you is far more frightening and restricting than the actual likelihood of the danger occurring.

And before we end up in the realm of "yes, but guns are safe in the hands of sane people who have learned to use them responsibly ..." ... Don't make me laugh. I lived several years of using firearms with others all exceedingly well trained and experienced. I know what happens when adrenaline flows, when anger takes charge, when fear inhabits shadows and noises. Cops, for all their training, make mistakes on a regular basis. Let alone Joe and Mary Blow who take a firearms saftey course on the weekend and practice at the range. Humans are human, regardless of training.

That all said, if I lived in Japan I wouldn't own a gun. If I lived in Alaska I'd own and carry. Neither one of those outlier environments relates to everyday life in San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego