Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 10:38 AM

42 posts, read 40,831 times

Advertisements

Lol...Obama voters who deny reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 10:51 AM

9,802 posts, read 11,478,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftbowie View Post
You seem like my brainwashed Father in law. Come to the middle and quit getting fooled by one side of the Aisle

Old 03-10-2016, 01:02 PM

21,631 posts, read 16,173,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftbowie View Post
Still waiting for the reality of fact-based research from you.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:42 PM

3,344 posts, read 2,279,360 times
I wonder the question is San Diego really safe or are its data screwed. There is no national standard in crime data keeping and each city chooses what crime to be on the data and what to omit. I.e in many larger cities petty theft or larcany, arn't even added to the data book where as some smaller cities it will. Also with lack of funds these days burglar alarms would often not be responded to even with monitoring unless the homeowner himself calls.

I noticed in the last six months there were many weeks where there were a large amounts of shootings and gun related crimesincluding but not limited to officer involved shootings and quite a number of which are very close to touristy areas of the city i.e downtown near the Bay, neighborhoods around Balboa park, Pacific/mission beach and in quiet suburban neighborhoods surrounding the cities. Though it appears San Diego's incidents are pretty underepresented compared to incidents in other major areas in the US and California. In another words its hard to find these incidents on National news. Whereas officer involved shootings these days in other parts of the country would instantly go all over headlines the ones in San Diego escapes much of the limelight outside of local news sources.
One of these armed gunman incidents back in October actually shut down a large portion of the city north of downtown and even the airport as it was dangerously close to planes' landing path.

Another issue is the proximately to the border, I noticed that there were many underreported incidents where Burglars, Robbers, drug dealers, or even kidnappers just made a bee line south and just disappear from the "radar." Mexico's lax security standards for south bound traffic facilitates such behavior. I heard back in 2009 there were many kidnapping incidents that involved San Diego residents being kidnapped from their homes and driven to Mexico while border guards just waved the perpetrators through and they disappear into Mexico. While security at the Mexico side had increased its not applied uniformly and currently mostly affects "Gringos" than Mexican nationals who still get nearly free passage whenever they cross south. The cases I mentioned above just becomes a missing persons case rather than a kidnapping and all other crimes they committed in the process would often escape detection as well. Therefore I am guessing San Diego's perceived "safety" may not be that accurate after all. Though its true in many cities the data is not a really reliable way to measure real issues either.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:15 PM

42,758 posts, read 26,029,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I wonder the question is San Diego really safe or are its data screwed. There is no national standard in crime data keeping and each city chooses what crime to be on the data and what to omit. .
Yes there is a national standard for crime reporting, it is maintained and managed by the FBI & is called "uniform crime reporting" it is voluntary, but well over 80% of police agencies participate and San Diego most certainly does participate. There is no opportunity or incentive to submit fake numbers, a large number of grants are available to agencies with a high crime rate, so it would be bizarre for an agency to under report and lose out on that money. Additionally, by state law ALL law enforcement agencies are required to submit crime data to the California Department of Justice

So I think it's fair to say that you are mistaken, there is standardized reporting and at least in California that reporting is required.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I noticed in the last six months there were many weeks where there were a large amounts of shootings and gun related crimesincluding ...
"Under reported?" Ok, I'll bite., if they are "under reported," how would you know about them (being under reported)?
Quote:
One of these armed gunman incidents back in October actually shut down a large portion of the city north of downtown and even the airport as it was dangerously close to planes' landing path.
That incident was very well reported. Including on national news.

Quote:
Another issue is the proximately to the border, I noticed that there were many underreported incidents where Burglars, Robbers, drug dealers, or even kidnappers just made a bee line south and just disappear from the "radar."
Ok, I'll bite again. How do you know about "under reported incidents?"

Old 03-10-2016, 04:50 PM

3,344 posts, read 2,279,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yes there is a national standard for crime reporting, it is maintained and managed by the FBI & is called "uniform crime reporting" it is voluntary, but well over 80% of police agencies participate and San Diego most certainly does participate. There is no opportunity or incentive to submit fake numbers, a large number of grants are available to agencies with a high crime rate, so it would be bizarre for an agency to under report and lose out on that money. Additionally, by state law ALL law enforcement agencies are required to submit crime data to the California Department of Justice

So I think it's fair to say that you are mistaken, there is standardized reporting and at least in California that reporting is required.
You obviously haven't been to San Jose, many of the smaller incidents such as breaking into cars goes completely unreported. Just getting an officer to respond is hard and they would usually claim insufficient evidence. Of course major crimes such as murder are reported though those smaller ones escape the radar. San Jose is one of those Sanctuary city and these cities often cover up incidents committed by illegal immigrants. Though I don't blame illegal immigrants for crime as most crime are not committed by immigrants even the illegal ones. And there are not much evidence to prove that a city intentionally underreported crime for smaller incidents that are not headline making such as a car getting ransacked where the perpetrators left little evidence behind.
Obviously you say the FBI uniform crime report is voluntary so it would depend on the agency submitting the info to the site. There is plenty of evidence NYC swept many issues under a rug during the past decades to get their city to appear nicer on media. Anyone who had worked in its neighborhoods would tell their tales of encountering unreported gunfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
"Under reported?" Ok, I'll bite., if they are "under reported," how would you know about them (being under reported)?
That incident was very well reported. Including on national news.

Ok, I'll bite again. How do you know about "under reported incidents?"
These incidents do appear on certain media sources but these media sources don't get much national attention. Its hard to find the incidents on TV news or the Internet unless one specially search for it usually off San Diego news sources.
The incident involving planes headed to SAN was probably an exception as it affected air traffic arriving from other parts of the country and caused massive mayham in air travel across the area.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
You obviously haven't been to San Jose, many of the smaller incidents such as breaking into cars goes completely unreported. Just getting an officer to respond is hard and they would usually claim insufficient evidence. Of course major crimes such as murder are reported though those smaller ones escape the radar. San Jose is one of those Sanctuary city and these cities often cover up incidents committed by illegal immigrants. Though I don't blame illegal immigrants for crime as most crime are not committed by immigrants even the illegal ones. And there are not much evidence to prove that a city intentionally underreported crime for smaller incidents that are not headline making such as a car getting ransacked where the perpetrators left little evidence behind.
Obviously you say the FBI uniform crime report is voluntary so it would depend on the agency submitting the info to the site. There is plenty of evidence NYC swept many issues under a rug during the past decades to get their city to appear nicer on media. Anyone who had worked in its neighborhoods would tell their tales of encountering unreported gunfire.

These incidents do appear on certain media sources but these media sources don't get much national attention. Its hard to find the incidents on TV news or the Internet unless one specially search for it usually off San Diego news sources.
The incident involving planes headed to SAN was probably an exception as it affected air traffic arriving from other parts of the country and caused massive mayham in air travel across the area.
I'll ask my question again: "How do you know (about unreported incidents)?" I'm interested in your source. It's hard to evaluate what you are suggesting without data. So, are these "incidents" recorded somewhere you have access to that few others do?

Also, you realize that network news is not a mandated public service function? It is, quite literally, a sector of the for-profit entertainment business. They pick stories based on what supports their business model for attracting viewerships. They are not any kind regional or national database for crime statistical reporting. Reporting is from law enforcement directly to the national database Sleepy mentioned.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:10 PM

42,758 posts, read 26,029,946 times
Quote:

I am very familiar with San Jose, and once again you are wrong. San Jose PD reports crimes as they are mandated by the state, they also report to the FBI. You are conflating the difficulty in getting a cop to respond to a minor incident with a claim that crimes aren't reported. In big cities they are not going to tie up a cop for an hour and send them to your house to investigate a window smash on your car, but when you call in you are told what you can do if you want to report it - go to the PD or file an online report.

But the real issue here is that you are clearly offering an opinion based on nothing other than your own personal bias. i.e. the comment about 'covering up for illegals' and that makes it difficult to have a serious discussion with you

Old 03-11-2016, 10:03 AM

42 posts, read 40,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

Yes...This.....
Unless you are delusional and believe the evil cops, FBI and Justice Dept are corrupting the numbers because they are biased....C'mon.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego