Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:45 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I just don't get the obsession with a place one doesn't like. You don't like it. Most of America loves it.
Not speaking about SD per se and you are addressing a person other than myself, but people can be bitter about a place where nothing fell into place for them. I've been fine everywhere I've lived except for Portland and Seattle, so I tend to be bitter toward them. In Seattle, a boss told me that I "didn't fit in to Seattle" because it was liberal and my accent impersonations...which most people love...weren't appreciated in this small firm of less than 10 people I worked for.

Some people have experienced a lack of fit in San Diego. Personally, I would tune out all the superficial airheads that live there and enjoy the sunshine and the beaches. But, who knows, that might get to me, too.

In general, I've enjoyed places where I've made good intellectual friendships where you actually go over to people's houses and vice-versa...for me, that would have been the ATL and Sacramento.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:41 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
I just don't get the obsession with a place one doesn't like. You don't like it. Most of America loves it.
Most of America has never even heard of San Diego until the movie "Anchorman" came out. Okay, that's an exageration. My point is that San Diego does not have a wide publicity like Los Angeles does. Of course that's for obvious reasons such as Hollywood being there and being the 2nd largest city in the U.S., and being an entertainment capital. Outside of San Diego, I may have ran into a few people that said they heard it's beautiful, but for the most part most people don't care about it or know anything about it. Being in the Navy however, San Diego does play a major role in being one of the biggest Navy hubs, and there are many people in the Navy who would love to be stationed in San Diego, as it is one of the nicer Navy towns (a lot of Navy bases are near some crapholes and arm pits).

Old 01-27-2008, 10:49 AM

132 posts, read 596,666 times
San Diego is like L.A. Dry-Summer Subtropical commomly called mediterrnean-
Wikipedia-
"The city is situated in a Mediterranean climate or Dry-Summer Subtropical zone (Köppen climate classification Csb on the coast, Csa inland), USDA Zones 8-11, experiencing mild, somewhat wet winters and warm to hot summers. Breezes from the Pacific Ocean tend to keep the beach communities of the Los Angeles area cooler in summer and warmer in winter than those further inland; summer temperatures can sometimes be as much as 18 °F (10 °C) warmer in the inland communities compared to that of the coastal communities. A few coastal "micro-climates" have never recorded"
San Diego's all time low temps are higher than Miami.
You can grow plants ( agood way to gauge a climate) lke Royal palms, screw pines, Plumeria, Mango, Macadamia, Bird of Paradise, etc, many that can't be grown north of Ft. Lauderdale and it is USDA zone 11 mostly, occuring only in the Fl keys, SoCal coast and Hawaii below 2000 Feet.
That's OK, Commom Misconception.
Also, The bottom 1/4 of the sierras is in SoCal and the tehachapis are the sierras, an the San Gabriels and San Bernadino Mountains are up to 11,000 feet in SoCal and are green and Heavily forested extensively and include Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead, Running Springs, Idlewild, see pic. Homework time.
Attached Thumbnails
Americas finest city more like Americas most finest facade-large_arrowhead.jpg  

Old 01-27-2008, 11:31 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
This thread has gotten good.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
BTW, the ugliest women in America are in Seattle and Portland. Ask any male who has lived up here and they will all puke for you.
LOL......I totally have to agree with you on this about Seattle women. Heck, the men are no prize either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber
Uh, I love NYC, DC SF but hate San Diego what does that tell you? Let's see, Houston is better than San Diego economy wise, better looking people, culturally, educationally, nightlife, housing quality and price etc. San Diego does not have great beaches, as a grad student in environmental studies research on a number of fronts shows there are ALOT of days where the water and coast there is considered to dirty to swim. The dept. of tourism and certain uninformed people in San Diego don't want you to know this, not that Galveston is any better, but at least it admits it is polluted!
Don't you realize that because you are from Houston, no one here is listening to what you have to say?? Why not pick other "cheap" places that are in it's class like Tulsa or Omaha? Quit trying to hang with places that are considered desirable by most

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAand ATL
Most of America has never even heard of San Diego until the movie "Anchorman" came out. Okay, that's an exageration. My point is that San Diego does not have a wide publicity like Los Angeles does. Of course that's for obvious reasons such as Hollywood being there and being the 2nd largest city in the U.S., and being an entertainment capital. Outside of San Diego, I may have ran into a few people that said they heard it's beautiful, but for the most part most people don't care about it or know anything about it. Being in the Navy however, San Diego does play a major role in being one of the biggest Navy hubs, and there are many people in the Navy who would love to be stationed in San Diego, as it is one of the nicer Navy towns (a lot of Navy bases are near some crapholes and arm pits).
Please stop - you really are starting to embarrass yourself. Also, if you think about it, your constant comparison of SD to LA is actually big compliment to SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL
Btw, did you ever go to Seville Quarter in Pensacola? That place is awesome! It's like 10 Gaslamp bars/clubs in one complex, so you only need to pay 1 cover (only $5). There's always something fun and exciting going on at Seville's!
Wow, that sounds incredibly cheesy..

Old 01-27-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
This thread has gotten good.....

LOL......I totally have to agree with you on this about Seattle women. Heck, the men are no prize either.

Don't you realize that because you are from Houston, no one here is listening to what you have to say?? Why not pick other "cheap" places that are in it's class like Tulsa or Omaha? Quit trying to hang with places that are considered desirable by most

Please stop - you really are starting to embarrass yourself. Also, if you think about it, your constant comparison of SD to LA is actually big compliment to SD.

Wow, that sounds incredibly cheesy..
Seattle also has a lot of beautiful women, like anywhere else. Seattle has a lot people of Swedish descent, so imagine that. So what is it about L.A. that's a compliment to S.D.? I guess you don't care for the whole Hollywood entertainment scene. And what is so cheesy about my description about Seville's? You've never been there so how do you know it's not a fun place?

I swear, I can not understand San Diego people no matter how hard I try. Btw, you're the one that's embarrasing yourself and the entire city of S.D., along with some other posters on this thread. You all confirm the impression that San Diegans have a biased and closed-minded mentality and look down on every other city. I've had that impression about San Diegans even before I moved out there, just from people I've met from there that constantly talked about how great their city is.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:26 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Seattle also has a lot of beautiful women, like anywhere else. Seattle has a lot people of Swedish descent, so imagine that. So what is it about L.A. that's a compliment to S.D.? I guess you don't care for the whole Hollywood entertainment scene. And what is so cheesy about my description about Seville's? You've never been there so how do you know it's not a fun place?

I swear, I can not understand San Diego people no matter how hard I try. Btw, you're the one that's embarrasing yourself and the entire city of S.D., along with some other posters on this thread. You all confirm the impression that San Diegans have a biased and closed-minded mentality and look down on every other city. I've had that impression about San Diegans even before I moved out there, just from people I've met from there that constantly talked about how great their city is.
Sorry, but being very familiar with both ATL and SD I just cannot take you seriously. I can see how someone might prefer Seattle to San Diego, but unless you have family in ATL or you are black, I cannot imagine any rational person preferring ATL to San Diego.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:57 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,974 times
Houston in a "class" with Tulsa and Omaha? You must be kidding. Man, talk about SoCal ignorance or snootiness towards the rest of the country. I've lived x-number of years in BOTH San Diego and Houston...and as an integrated international city with boom, true artsiness, style, livability, opportunities, eccentricity, inherent weirdness and diversity...San Diego doesn't compare. Houston blows chunks all over SD. San Diego hides behind its pretty weather and La Jollas vistas...things which cover up its superficial plasticity all too well. And if not for the fact that wide-open L.A. was in good proximity, San Diego would have been a secluded Pleasantville Purgatory of sorts to me all those years out there in SoCal.

To say Houston is less desirable? Well, Californians are FLOCKING to Houston and Houston's metro is twice the size of San Diego's. More people live here than there!

Check this out from the L.A. Times as it tells only part of the story.
Flocking from SoCal to Houston - Los Angeles Times

Houston generally is a live and let live place. San Diego's entire metro...police checkpoints are routine (though I haven't noticed that as much with Chula Vista)! Screw that. I'd rather have more conservative liquor laws but more liberal commutes in Houston than vice-versa!

My wife loves San Diego more than I, and I still liked it its own way. But we're back in Houston now. As a nurse, she was recently offered a traveling job back in San Diego and California (with housing allowance) and we did give it a thought but we factored that Houston in the long-run is MUCH better economically with the opportunities and we are excited about the rapid developments taking place here (compared to relatively static San Diego). San Diego is for the tourists, the indifferent surfers, the fake rich and the poor to "middle class" workers who service their economy.

I have a lot of good memories of San Diego (we miss Maharlika Grill in National City, Mr A's Rooftop, some outings to Pacific Beach, our cool pad in the GasLamp for four months and she really misses Cafe Lulu's there)...but Houston is where it is, man. H-town is the place!

Old 01-27-2008, 02:07 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Really, isn't this about "to his/her own"?

My brother lives in Houston - loves it there! I'd have a hard time moving there (yes - I've spent quite a bit of time in Texas - San Antonio for 8 yrs and several prolonged visits to Houston). Half my relatives live in NY - love it there & would never move out to San Diego but they love to vacation here. The other half live in LA and have the same outlook on life in NY. I like going back to NY to experience family & things I miss, but I would never move back there either.

Each town...each city has its pros & cons - including the people who inhabit those cities. Undoubtedly they can make or break someone's experiences in a particular place. I would think it's up to each of us to find our own personal utopia. I just don't see why there's a need to tear down a city (and its people) just because someone didn't find the particular charms someone else sees.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but being very familiar with both ATL and SD I just cannot take you seriously. I can see how someone might prefer Seattle to San Diego, but unless you have family in ATL or you are black, I cannot imagine any rational person preferring ATL to San Diego.
I'm not black, but my parents live in ATL, so I go back and visit them at least once a year. Also, most people I know from there (black and white) like it back there more than San Diego. It's mainly because we were more comfortable with the culture there and coming to San Diego is too much of a culture shock for us. It's really like moving to another country, and we feel like foreigners in San Diego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
Man, talk about SoCal ignorance or snootiness towards the rest of the country.
Finally someone else sees what I'm talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego