Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:00 PM

16 posts, read 20,718 times

Advertisements

Hello generous posters,

We are finally returning to CA. We lived in San Francisco for four years, Ocean Beach area and Pacifica, just loved it, and then went east for several years.

We are choosing between Monterey, Ventura/Oxnard, and San Diego North County- Poway or Carlsbad area, in a few weeks. We are trying to do as much research as we can now, and will be arriving soon to make a final decision. Which would you choose?

We would like to pay around $2000 give or take for three beds plus dog. We like good schools, but we are also a bit liberal. I am a teacher, DH is bartender for resort, and may go into teaching too.

What areas of North County would you recommend for our family? It seems like we are priced out of Encinitas, which I would have liked to consider b/c of the liberal vibe and the downtown shops? Are there any neighborhoods in Oceanside that are zoned for nice (really nice, because that's what the kids are used to) schools?

Are we priced out of Carlsbad too? What other areas near Carlsbad might you recommend? How chilly and foggy does it usually get on the coast? Would we like Poway? The rentals seem very nice there-- how conservative is it, and how hot does it get in the summer?

A big determining factor will be jobs. Do you think teaching opportunities will be the available? In addition to North County, should consider some schools in the north parts of the city? Should we look at living options there too-- are there any affordable family-friendly neighborhoods?

How about hospitality jobs in North County? It seems like the Carlsbad area might be good for hotels and restaurants, and a benefit would be no commute to downtown.

Finally, the kids love athletics; they are leaders on their teams- football, baseball, softball, basketball. Which towns, and which schools, have the best teams?

Thanks so much for your help! I have learned a ton of information here already; truly, it has made this much-dreamed of return possible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 12:59 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
You'll need more than 2k for 3 beds in coastal north county. That's not even including the extra burden of the dogs (which you'll likely need to find a SF home). If you can go to 3k it will open up your options a lot.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:18 AM

Thanks CK! I can see what you mean... I think we could do that. Maybe Encinitas is in the picture then... is it family friendly? Guess we will find out in a month!

Old 06-03-2015, 08:20 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fullytruckin View Post
Thanks CK! I can see what you mean... I think we could do that. Maybe Encinitas is in the picture then... is it family friendly? Guess we will find out in a month!
Yes, pretty much most of North County is family friendly.

You could find a 3 BR place in the more inland section of Encinitas but the competition will be high and your dogs may present problems. Good luck.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:57 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Carlsbad and even moreso Poway seem a world apart from your previous areas of residence and even from the other areas you're interested in.

Another thing is that you're asking too many basic questions to which you could find your own answers. I suggest using the search button. Once you've narrowed down the place you'd like to live, then people will likely provide assistance.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 06-03-2015 at 09:08 AM..

Old 06-03-2015, 01:06 PM

LuvSouthOC thanks for your response. Worlds away- are you speaking geographically or culturally? Are you referring to Carlsbad and Poway being more conservative? I would be interested in hearing someone compare the city of Ventura to the cities in North County.

I've done a ton of online research in the last six months and I am trying to cement it in. Perhaps I have asked too many questions. I am hoping to get live feedback to confirm.

Jobs are the most important. I can see that there is a need for teachers, but would love to hear from someone who teaches in the area. I can see all the hotels along the coast near Carlsbad, but I haven't been able to learn online how much competition there is.

Schools is the next important thing. I know that Encinitas, Carlsbad, Del Mar, and Poway are good. I was hoping to get an insider's view on them though, and also on some of the fringe areas that might be in our budget more. One question that I still need to figure out is if the schools have strong athletics.

Finally, location- I have heard the towns compared a bit in this forum, and would love to hear more.

Also, is Poway really that hot? I've seen people mention it, but I saw an average daily high of 80- doesn't seem bad at all.

Thanks

Old 06-03-2015, 01:23 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,062 times
You sure have a lot of questions and no answers. I would assume most of those questions need to be answered for you long before you moved. It's great to ask random strangers on a forum, but things like "will my kids be on great athletic teams if they go to XYZ School" or "will my kids get into Stanford if they go to XYZ School" or "what schools need teachers?" are nice to ask on a forum initially, but long before you moved, I would assume you had real discussions with people and a better opinion.

This is the one aspect of SD that never makes sense to me. People just randomly think about moving here and they actually move here, except they really don't know anything about SD. People turn down good jobs in places like San Fran because the cost of living is high or the commute would be a nightmare and where they'd live the school systems would stink...etc etc etc. But SD has tons of people like you who dont' even have a job, have kids but don't know anything about the schools, but hey, lets just pack up and move and hope for the best.

Maybe that's why SD never actually grows like other cities. People who move here don't really move here for valid reasons. They just like the weather.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:02 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I totally agree....I just tell people to bring boatloads of money. People moving here are totally ill informed about what it takes and costs to live here, things have changed enormously in the last 10 years. Teaching jobs are impossible to get. Lots of competition in the hospitality industry because people can't find jobs anywhere else (same for retail) and they are young and good looking. If you're moving here to make a better life for your kids, then please think this over carefully.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:28 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Lot's of good advice above. You might look into Serra Mesa or Clairemont areas for houses renting in the 2500 range. Liberal areas? Nope. Not in that price range. Teaching jobs are pretty rare, even the locals are doing part time stints at SD Unified.

San Diego isn't San Fran. I'm not sure what you didn't like before about SD that made you move to a "liberal" area? San Diego hasn't changed that much.

edit, just noticed the OB you are talking about is in San Fran. Regardless, no one down here bites despite what the media tells you folks up in Frisco

Did you get by on 2000 rent in Flisco? If you can make it there it should be easy anywhere.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:34 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
And forget about getting teaching jobs here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego