Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 12:38 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,573,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Nice find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 02:22 PM

102 posts, read 305,833 times
I couldn't find that thread was quite old, like I said I am doing my research before we finalize our move.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:31 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
So if someone lives in Poway, Escondido, San Marcos etc. is it considers living in San Diego?

Also, which are the best school districts there? Would you say if you live in Poway, easy/close access to the
I-15, it wont be an issue going to downtown sd or La jolla etc.
Those are all incorporated cities within SD County, so residents would say they live there, not San Diego. But there other areas that aren't incoporated cities (like Rosie noted) and are in fact within the San Diego city limits. But, show me a person who lives in Del Mar Heights and says they live in San Diego. Their mailing address may say it, but they'd never claim it. They say they live in Del Mar Heights. Same thing for Rancho Bernardo and most other communities within the SD city limits.
Poway and San Dieguito are generally top-ranked, but there are good schools elsewhere, mostly tops in North County.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:01 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Those are all incorporated cities within SD County, so residents would say they live there, not San Diego. But there other areas that aren't incoporated cities (like Rosie noted) and are in fact within the San Diego city limits. But, show me a person who lives in Del Mar Heights and says they live in San Diego. Their mailing address may say it, but they'd never claim it. They say they live in Del Mar Heights. Same thing for Rancho Bernardo and most other communities within the SD city limits.
Poway and San Dieguito are generally top-ranked, but there are good schools elsewhere, mostly tops in North County.
True. I think the city of San Diego is somewhat unique in being so spread out and having so many different neighborhoods.

A lot of people here seem to tell other locals where they live by using the neighborhood or general area they live in, even if it is within a specific city.

But, my hunch is that a lot of people, when they are talking to non-locals about where they live say something like, "I live in the San Diego area"or "I live near San Diego" even if they aren't actually IN the city limits. People in La Jolla might be an exception to that, as La Jolla is so well known around the world.

This forum really covers the San Diego area, not just the city of San Diego. It should probably be renamed the San Diego County forum.

In answer to the OPs post about driving times, it really depends on the time of day. During peak commute hours (7-9 and 4-6) it can take an hour to go 10 miles in certain parts of the county. But on off peak times, you're there in 15 minutes. Traffic is bad in some areas even on weekends though.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:19 PM

987 posts, read 779,266 times
[quote=sid369;52265239]So if someone lives in Poway, Escondido, San Marcos etc. is it considers living in San Diego?

If you want to have an address that specifically says "1234 Main Street San Diego Ca + the zip code then you need to pay attention when window shopping for a house in San Diego. I might be wrong, but unless you live in the City of San Diego, you may not get an address with the name San Diego in it.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:19 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Like others have said, you say San Diego for pretty much the whole county, with the exception of the far outlying communities, to everyone not from San Diego. Within the county, or to people who’re familiar with the area, you’ll say your city/community /neighborhood. This is the case for every major city in the world, unless you want to be that person that says a town only to explain where it is immediately afterwards.

When I was in college 2000 miles from here in Michigan, or visiting my sister 200 miles away at UCSB, I wouldn’t say I was from Poway, life is too short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
my hunch is that a lot of people, when they are talking to non-locals about where they live say something like, "I live in the San Diego area"or "I live near San Diego" even if they aren't actually IN the city limits. People in La Jolla might be an exception to that, as La Jolla is so well known around the world.
You would think this is the case, but I found traveling with my sister La Jolla really isn’t that well known. More times than not people would give her that blank “ok” stare and head nod when she said La Jolla until I said San Diego and they’d get it. Outside of the major cities, and even some of them aren’t well known, sorry Topper San Jose is often one of them, the only two places I can think of that are known world wide are Beverly Hills and Hollywood.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:00 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
Quote:
Yes, I think a job would definitely determine where we want to live and also a big consideration for us will be good schools and close to relatives.

The housing is going to be our biggest cost. I am sure everything else is expensive there too.
Given your career field, banking, it is most likely that you will find work in Downtown, or the Golden Triangle in the University City area. Other areas have banking jobs, Clairemont and La Jolla, for example, but you probably will be working in the first two areas. Therefore, for now, I would base your research as if you will be working in those two areas, Downtown, University City.

If you work Downtown, and if your likely income can support it, you might consider Mission Hills or Point Loma, as well as the Carmel Valley, University, and Poway areas for the Golden Triangle jobs.

Now regarding "I am sure everything else is expensive there too," actually, that really isn't true.

Outside of housing, gasoline and water, most everything else is pretty close to the national average. Most stuff will be 95% to 120% of the national average. For example, many fresh fruits and vegetables will be cheaper because they are produced within California. Your gas and electric, while more expensive on a per Kwh and BTU basis, will be cheaper overall because you will use so much less of it.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:31 AM

102 posts, read 305,833 times
I am in banking industry now, but my job skills can apply to any industry, I am in learning and development.

I have noticed that even in encinitas, poway, for a 4+ bedroom and 2000+ sq homes are north of 1mm. I for some reason thought, that the more inland you go you get bigger house for less money, is that a wrong assumption.

I would like to stay in a place, where you can walk to school or atleast a short drive away, and the town has shopping, activities and as close to the beach as possible.

People who live in poway, what beach would be closest to them, same for carmel valley etc.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:08 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
People who live in poway, what beach would be closest to them, same for carmel valley etc.
For both it’s Torrey Pines State Beach, it’s a straight shot off the 56. The reality is you’ll probably go somewhere else often as there’s nothing there besides the beach, albeit a very beautiful one.

I’m guessing you’ll be spending most your time at the beach in Del Mar, can’t go wrong there. La Jolla shores, and Fletcher Cove in Solana Beach, are the two next closest, both great family beaches.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:25 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,573,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Not quite true. Much of Carmel Valley is within San Diego city limits and inland the city limits include Rancho Bernardo.
Instead of 'on the coast' I guess I should have said 'west of the 5.' Maybe I'm wrong but I can't think of any area 'west of the 5' and 'north of La Jolla' that is in the SD city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego