Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 04:58 PM

358 posts, read 584,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
If you never go to the beaches, who in their right mind will spend soo much money to move here then? Like it or not, SD is a beach community. Up and down the coast, it's about the beaches. The Laid back lifestyle is about the beaches. I never understand why people move to a place and have no desire to visit the main factor for living here. And you'd be surprise at how many people rarely visit the beaches.
I live here for the weather, not the beach. The beach is a nice perk but we don't go that often. However, I love the fact that all of last year, I didn't need anything more than a light wind breaker. Can't get that almost anywhere. Especially if you don't want to deal with 90+ degree summer and humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 05:32 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsNStripes View Post
"If you never go to the beaches, who in their right mind will spend soo much money to move here then?"

Many, many people. Not everyone shares the same beach-centric values as you do perhaps, and san diego has a lot more going on than just that.
S Cal without the beach is Arizona.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:32 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
S Cal without the beach is Arizona.
I'd say the weather is still more pleasant overall in SoCal than Arizona, but you make a good point. I don't think anyone moves to SoCal and says "I want to be at least 10 miles from the ocean, preferably more". Generally, the further from the ocean, the more affordable the housing and I think lots of people who aren't willing to compromise on house size and other factors find themselves there given how expensive housing is in this region.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:37 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
I'd say the weather is still more pleasant overall in SoCal than Arizona, but you make a good point. I don't think anyone moves to SoCal and says "I want to be at least 10 miles from the ocean, preferably more". Generally, the further from the ocean, the more affordable the housing and I think lots of people who aren't willing to compromise on house size and other factors find themselves there given how expensive housing is in this region.
No way would I be living here if it wasn't for the Pacific. No way in heck. The Oceans keeps the temp where we want it and we pay out the nose for that. I'd be in another State if I didn't like the Pacific so much.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:41 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
No way would I be living here if it wasn't for the Pacific. No way in heck. The Oceans keeps the temp where we want it and we pay out the nose for that. I'd be in another State if I didn't like the Pacific so much.
I'm the same way. I understand people may not love the water and beach life as much as we do but without that aspect of SoCal it would be hard for me to justify the high housing costs..

Old 06-03-2015, 09:32 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandykassia View Post
Is it possible to find a home about 40 min from Del Mar Heights Road in San Diego, i4 bedrooms (5 kids), at around 350k???????
No.

Quote:
Is it crazy impossible??
Yes.

Quote:
Due to 5 kids, school is a huge important thing to keep in mind!
thanks
San Diego likely isn't for you. That $350k should be your down payment. Not joking.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:50 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usdefault View Post
no.

Yes.

San diego likely isn't for you. That $350k should be your down payment. Not joking.
lolololololololol

Old 06-03-2015, 09:55 PM

1,538 posts, read 1,483,810 times
Wait out this mini bubble. 2010 prices are very likely again. Actually, government action propped even those up. So maybe lower than that.

Folks look at current asking prices and assume that's how it will always be. A lot of selective memories.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:00 AM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
I'm the same way. I understand people may not love the water and beach life as much as we do but without that aspect of SoCal it would be hard for me to justify the high housing costs..
Us folks that live inland and don't visit the beach every other day appreciate that the Pacific Ocean makes things cooler for everyone living on this side of the mountains. But don't pretend like the weather is great 24/7 by the coast while us inland people suffer from extreme heat/cold all the time. This maybe happens on average 20 to 25 days per year when inland temps get incredibly hot/cool.

Today for instance, I am having drinks and dinner with some colleagues at a "taphouse" in Kensington (which is still East of the 15 just bearly) sitting at the tables outside on the patio and at about 730PM those dark coastal clouds roll in and start making things pretty uncomfortable. At that point I said, lets go inside and finish dinner (thinking to myself I want to go home already where its warm because I forgot my sweater). Coastal folks get to live by the beach but get much more cold cloudy days than inland folks get extreme hot sunny days. Just remember, when its gloomy and cold where you are, us people inland are having a nice moderate sunny day and have better year around weather that 90% of the nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
Wait out this mini bubble. 2010 prices are very likely again. Actually, government action propped even those up. So maybe lower than that.

Folks look at current asking prices and assume that's how it will always be. A lot of selective memories.
I just refinanced and got appraised, so I am good. For the sake of the many young families I knos, I hope the prices go down some as I have no plans of selling any time soon.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:39 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post

This is true. Also, OP, you might find a house in the older parts of Vista in your price range, but many of the houses there have issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego