Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 05:54 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,811,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
And to reinforce how artificial the dividing line between North Park and South Park is, Burlingame certainly is apart from South Park. It's located in North Park!
Exactly. The Grove book/yarn/furnishings shop on the north side of Juniper is officially in North Park while Rebecca's Coffee and Scones across the street on the south side of Juniper is officially in South Park?!

Most of us place the dividing line at Switzer canyon and let the Burlingamers ramble on about their rose colored sidewalks (don't ever make the mistake of calling them pink) and try to "out exclusive" themselves away from the surrounding neighborhoods with their attitudes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 10:26 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,014,328 times
Burlingame used to be a very middle class neighborhood. A two income family could easily afford to live there. The same could be said about La Jolla and Coronado. There was a time when an ocean view house was in the realm of reality of middle class families in San Diego. It all kind of blew up around the early 90s though and has become pretty much untouchable for your average family income.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:36 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,547,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
I remember the first time I heard the term "South Park". It was from Afton, a realtor prospecting in my neighborhood around the late 90s. ...
When I moved to San Diego in the late 80's my niece lived in South Park. And for the several years previous that my sister lived in San Diego, it was always called South Park. So I don't think that's some new realtor-dubbed name.

"Shelter Valley", now ...

Old 07-09-2015, 12:42 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,583,797 times
So did South Park get revitalized or what?? I always remember that being a very rough area. Than again North Park used to be pretty bad too. Just curious as I opened this thread expecting to see warnings and don't live there it's the ghetto etc.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:41 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,547,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
So did South Park get revitalized or what?? I always remember that being a very rough area. Than again North Park used to be pretty bad too. Just curious as I opened this thread expecting to see warnings and don't live there it's the ghetto etc.
Yes, both North Park and South Park are far nicer than they were when I moved here 30-ish years ago.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:53 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,361,645 times
When I moved here in 95' there was no such thing as South Park. Everything south of about Juniper was considered Golden Hill and was pretty sketchy and run down at the time. The area didn't catch on until the housing boom. My half-brothers mom has lived in Burlingame since the late 80's and she had never heard of the name either. I remember them laughing that the realtors were trying to rename it. Seems almost impossible to imagine that an area with so many cool homes could have been left to decay for so long.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:12 PM

8,365 posts, read 7,559,554 times
Also check out Normal Heights, north of Adams Avenue. It's pricey, but will have more inventory. Very family-friendly, walkable neighborhood and Adams Avenue is getting more restaurants every day. South of Adams Avenue gets iffy in spots, but north of Adams is sort of like a little hidden gem.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:27 AM

8 posts, read 9,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
I remember the first time I heard the term "South Park". It was from Afton, a realtor prospecting in my neighborhood around the late 90s. She was telling me about a house she sold in South Park and I asked her where that was. She went on to tell me that it was on Date and Granada. I told her that was Golden Hills and she told me it was now considered South Park. I thought, wow that is interesting, a name change. I had never heard the term South Park up until then. I started hearing it more and more the following years. I had honestly never heard that term until then. I grew up in North Park when it was considered kind of sketchy and run down, so I am very happy to see the renovation and gentrification. I find it a little amusing that there are all these new neighborhoods....Altadena is another one...what the hell is that.
It’s never correctly been “Golden Hills”, ever. It’s Golden Hill.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:57 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,811,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhanson View Post
It’s never correctly been “Golden Hills”, ever. It’s Golden Hill.
You tell ‘em Erik!

That drives me a little bit crazy too.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 459 times
Hi all I just stumbled upon this site about South Park, I’m starting to look at real estate there I actually live in University Heights Hillcrest, and I have a daughter that I feel like I’d rather be in a neighborhood that’s more kid friendly, and actually wants to know their neighbors. We are super neighborly and we’d rather be someplace where there are block parties or neighborhood get together‘s or something like that but still be urban. If anybody has recommendations on certain areas of South Park they like best or realtors that could help with that I’d appreciate it thanks Or anybody that wants to volunteer as my future friendly neighbors. Ha ha :-) meet my hubby and daughter are super friendly and we do lots of fun get-togethers. (Oh that’s not that current area is bad it’s just that I think that’s mostly renters and people in their 20s and they move a lot the neighbors on either side of us I have moved at least seven times of the past eight years.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego