Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 09:21 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,513,772 times

Advertisements

Ive lived in OC for awhile now but have always liked SD a lot and I am contemplating a move there. Visited many times, but visiting doesn't always give you the full picture of what a place is like all the time. I really like the MV area, specifically between the 805 and the 163, but I'd go as far west as the 5. Love the location because its right near all the things I like to do and its only 6 miles from downtown as well as the beach. So what are the downsides to this area? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 09:31 PM

9,810 posts, read 11,051,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter14 View Post
Ive lived in OC for awhile now but have always liked SD a lot and I am contemplating a move there. Visited many times, but visiting doesn't always give you the full picture of what a place is like all the time. I really like the MV area, specifically between the 805 and the 163, but I'd go as far west as the 5. Love the location because its right near all the things I like to do and its only 6 miles from downtown as well as the beach. So what are the downsides to this area? Thanks
It's dull, crammed with apartment buildings, etc.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:31 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,826,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter14 View Post
Traffic. Congestion. One huge apartment complex after another, dotted in between huge shopping malls. And did I mention traffic?

Old 06-24-2015, 10:00 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,570,390 times
They are building even more now too so it will only get worse.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:10 PM

813 posts, read 1,264,937 times
The are has a lot of traffic congestion, as mentioned here. But, if you live in the area next to the mall, you can get on the trolley there and get to Old Town and downtown pretty easily.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:03 PM

681 posts, read 2,790,330 times
We lived in Mission Valley, but just east of the 15 by Qualcomm and loved it. In that area, traffic is only an issue on game days (8 days of the year).

Dowsides of the area I lived in:
- Your in the valley, so when it rains a little, there most likely will be flooding and streets will be closed off.
- Your on soft ground, so you will feel minor earthquakes (where I lived, we felt 2.0 earthquakes). Maybe it's just us because we come from the east coast and are sensitive to the earth moving beneath our feet.

I won't list what we liked because that would be a huge list ... so we would not hesitate to recommened that area to anyone.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:04 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,513,772 times
Thanks for the info so far. I actually find apartment complexes and huge shopping centers a plus. I may be living in one of those apartments and I'm not a fan of long drives. Having a mall, restaurants, movie theaters, book store etc...all within such a short distance is awesome. Similar to the area I'm in now in OC. I work from home so traffic doesn't bother me really, especially if everything I need is within a mile or so.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:27 AM

6,477 posts, read 7,424,489 times
People here on CD love to bash Mission Valley, but the truth is there is a reason to why so many apartment complexes are being built...living in MV is central and convenient.

But since you asked specifically for downsides, abundance of homeless persons is a downside.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:54 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,807,674 times
lots of traffic, but it is probably the best location as far as to being able to get to all other areas of SD, it's very central. Don't know how the area, traffic, etc. will be affected when they tear down Qualcomm and rebuild that land (that's yet to be determined) but it will be a big project for a long time. That's assuming the Chargers will be leaving.

If we do get an El Nino that area always floods a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego