Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 09:51 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowHope View Post
Good to know some tips... thank you!

My family can't do crowds, as we have a hard time doing a lot of walking and high levels of sensory things due to chronic illness. Maybe after treatment and remission we will brave these events. I have always loved watching Comic Con coverage before we moved here, between G4 when they used to cover it, and YouTube. I am thankful to not be totally out of the loop.

It seems to be the consensus of people here and on other groups online that I frequent that the crowds are bigger this year than ever before.
If you or your children have disabilities they are really great for ADA. Most vendors have separate lines so you don't have to wait in them too long, and so on. They have more information on their site, but even with picking up your tickets you don't have to go in the long lines, you just go to the A part of the convention center and say you are disabled and need to pick up your ticket downstairs.

They've come a long way with ADA. My husband has MS so he cannot wait in the lines, sit outside in the heat, tires very easily, etc, most days he only lasts about half a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 11:36 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
If you or your children have disabilities they are really great for ADA. Most vendors have separate lines so you don't have to wait in them too long, and so on. They have more information on their site, but even with picking up your tickets you don't have to go in the long lines, you just go to the A part of the convention center and say you are disabled and need to pick up your ticket downstairs.

They've come a long way with ADA. My husband has MS so he cannot wait in the lines, sit outside in the heat, tires very easily, etc, most days he only lasts about half a day.
Thank you so much for posting that info - so helpful to know! I will keep that in mind for the future.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:51 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
NighmareCon is now over until next year. I sneaked and took some pictures while I was working, and will post them when I get a chance.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:52 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for posting that info - so helpful to know! I will keep that in mind for the future.
Just to let you know that there are a LOT of non-ADA people that get ADA badges that don't need them. That also includes the people that bring their "non service dogs."

Old 07-13-2015, 12:50 AM

745 posts, read 1,568,197 times
We rode the trolley down to check it out for the first time. Since it was Sunday things were not as intense as they no doubt were before. We did a little people watching. Got told by a friend later we should have gone to some free thing she called Nerd HQ. Don't know what that was, but we didn't go as we didn't know about it. We all agreed it was worth going just to say we had done it and we enjoyed the costumes we did see. Then we walked over to Horton Plaza, had lunch at Jimbo's then walked to the train station and took the Green line back to Grantville where our car awaited us.

My daughter, who is a PR person in LA used to have to work Comic Con and couldn't wait for it to end each year. One year she brought the cast from GLEE, another she was there to promote the blue ray DVD release of the Star Wars movies. Can't recall what else she did in the years she worked it. My son-in-law was down one year to promote a Russian sci fi film. I remember my daughter posting on Facebook one year "Comic Con, aren't you over yet?" The crowds and their behavior was part of her beef.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:47 AM

9,823 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Just to let you know that there are a LOT of non-ADA people that get ADA badges that don't need them. That also includes the people that bring their "non service dogs."
We are becoming a broken society when you think in your mind, it's ok to act like i am disabled so i can go to the front of the line, or park in front of the store

Old 07-13-2015, 08:50 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,909 times
Went to comic con yesterday for the first time and it was absolutely insane. Walking through the convention center exhibit floor was extremely claustrophobic at times!! You could hardly stand still for any prolonged period of time because you always had people behind you trying to get by.

I'd definitely go again next year but I want to actually try and get a wristband to see some of the good panels.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
We have found that everywhere we go. Disney changed their whole ADA policy because of abuse, and it makes the trip much harder for us, so we stopped going. The abuse is not a new thing.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:52 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Quote:
We have found that everywhere we go. Disney changed their whole ADA policy because of abuse, and it makes the trip much harder for us, so we stopped going. The abuse is not a new thing.
Unfortunately, no, the abuse is not new. Waaay to easy to purchase a jacket or ID on line. More and more States are cracking down on the " Service Dog" abuse...Fl being one of the first to make it a misdemeanor with a pretty good fine. What sickens me, most are small, yappy, dogs with little to no training, and like you mentioned, forcing Venues to change their policies, because of it. Unfortunately, it's a catch22 in most States. Unlawful to question an ADA...

Old 07-13-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Unfortunately, no, the abuse is not new. Waaay to easy to purchase a jacket or ID on line. More and more States are cracking down on the " Service Dog" abuse...Fl being one of the first to make it a misdemeanor with a pretty good fine. What sickens me, most are small, yappy, dogs with little to no training, and like you mentioned, forcing Venues to change their policies, because of it. Unfortunately, it's a catch22 in most States. Unlawful to question an ADA...
We don't have a service dog. What changed it all for families like mine was a group of rich snotty NYC housewives that went on a tv show and were talking about how they "rented" people with wheelchairs and visual disabilities so they could avoid waiting in lines at amusement parks - namely, Disney. It was after that the policies changed.

http://nypost.com/2013/05/14/rich-ma...-disney-world/

I am not saying that a disability should get people special priviledges, but when you have legitimate medical issues and the policy changed, it really made it hard for a lot of families. As much as we would love to try to do certain events, the world is not friendly towards those with medical issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego