Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2015, 04:08 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times

Advertisements

I rented an apartment in TJ roughly 6 months ago. My time is split fairly evenly two weeks in SD two weeks in TJ. I love it.

As it is I have a valid SD address but eventually I would like to give up my SD apartment and use the savings to improve my quality of life in TJ.

I do not want to put money into a mexican bank account nor do I want to need permission(travel letter) to leave the country every time I go somewhere. I'd also prefer not to have utility bills in my name.

All I want is access to both SD and TJ without any hassle.

I do want to keep this on the down low from my family and accountant. Is this possible ? If I apply for the visa will this lock me into red tape that will eventually OUT ME as living in TJ ?

I also have a SENTRI card that I do not want to ruin.

Can I set up a storage facility and mailbox in SD while living in TJ and still consider myself safe from any immigration health insurance or tax drama ? I do not work. I live on a fixed income.

There are so many grey areas when it comes to this so maybe someone who actually lives the lifestyle can add to this thread ?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 05:48 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I lived in TJ for almost a year, and did not have a Visa, nor a Mexican bank account, which really isn't needed anyway. I had a PMB (which I already had), and eventually got a Sentri pass. I paid my Telnor bill in US dollars, and with the pesos I got in change, I paid my CFE bill at the OXXO up the street from where I lived. I never had any problems crossing the border. You shouldn't have a problem. I didn't have any problems living in TJ, and the reason that I moved back to San Diego was just due to the inconvenience, and the fact that I don't like to drive everywhere. I like the convenience of living in the city, not driving unless I choose to, and taking public transportation, which I now have have.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:33 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I do want to keep this on the down low from my family and accountant. Is this possible ? If I apply for the visa will this lock me into red tape that will eventually OUT ME as living in TJ ?
I agree with what all that moved says.

Also, CBP and Border Patrol do not care about where you live or if you have a visa to be in Mexico, all they care about is if you are a US citizen and can legally cross back to the US. I have dual citizenship in MX and US but when I crossed daily into San Diego for work I would only claim US citizenship and show my US passport. If you ever get pulled over by the TJ Municipal police, just say you are visiting.

There are even some US banks that don't charge international fees for using your debit card in Mexico.

You can easily live in Tijuana as a US citizen without a visa off the grid so to speak, all you need is $$$ .

Old 07-14-2015, 07:24 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
If you ever get pulled over by the TJ Municipal police, just say you are visiting.
Thanks.

You bring up a good point about what to say regarding police stops.

I have a friend that gets stopped ALL the time. He is a retired school teacher so go figure. He told me he mentions that he lives in TJ. Although he doesn't have his BAJA ID. He swears the cops are easier on him because they suspect he knows the ins and outs of dealing with local cops...since he lives in TJ. I have yet another friend who says he is retired and lives at a hotel with no BAJA ID...again no problem from the local cops.

There is yet another guy I am friendly with (who I highly respect) that tells me what you said.....show them a CA driver's license and tell them you live in SD and you are just visiting. This could work for sure but I tend to see the same cops day in day out on Revolucion or other areas I frequent. Might they think I am there too often to be "just visiting" ?

If by chance my driver's license expires and I have just a PO Box will the DMV accept it as a genuine address ?

Thanks

Old 07-14-2015, 08:11 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Yes, the DMV will accept a PO Box as an address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: