Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 03:22 AM

18 posts, read 23,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
We had a neighbor like this e.g. parking partially in our driveway, loud at all times of the day. My tact was to make life politely uncomfortable for them and after six months they moved. When they parked where they should not I left several notes on their car and contacted the police. When it was raining or misting I wrote with my finger on their windshield. When there were loud I would loudly exclaim "shhhhhhush" from my window. When they walked their dogs I would say "that's a funny looking dog, was he in an accident?" and in general made them uncomfortable living there. I remember well the day they moved out. Since that time 3 years ago not a worry in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Get an ultrasonic-dog-silencer and run it though a big, amplified speaker........that will shut them up.
Some years back I also had a neighbor of epicly bad proportions. They were kind at heart but the saying it's not who you are on the inside, it's what you do that defines you applied here. They had three rescued dogs that came from a really bad place which resulted in them being so scared all the time that they barked at EVERYTHING. It was to the point where they would start in the morning yet the family wouldn't do anything because they were also trying to sleep and just said screw it. I did politely inform them of the dogs incessant barking and they even bought a ultrasonic barking deterrent after I suggested it as they had absolutely no idea of how to discipline the dogs. The deterrent worked initially but the dogs adapted to the tone and started up again. I suggested that they get the dogs professionally trained but they never did because they were only interested in a quick fix. The end result were endless days and nights filled with the sharp report of 115 decibel barks. Other neighbors started calling the cops on them and I could't blame them, one even left them a threatening letter which the dog owner thought could have been us but couldn't be sure. I did end up also calling the police on them thinking it would be a big enough inconvenience to just get the dogs trained but nope they refused. After going through law enforcement, code enforcement, and the city their dogs still barked. We ended up getting in some heated arguments due to the stress from being unable to sleep on a graveyard shift, it was quite literally ruining my health. After doing similar things as you did and making every moment they saw me stressful they ended up moving. It was one of the most relieving moments ever. Sad that I had to basically be a neighbor from hell, albeit only to them, to get them to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 07:41 AM

50,295 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalfusions View Post
Some years back I also had a neighbor of epicly bad proportions. They were kind at heart but the saying it's not who you are on the inside, it's what you do that defines you applied here. They had three rescued dogs that came from a really bad place which resulted in them being so scared all the time that they barked at EVERYTHING. It was to the point where they would start in the morning yet the family wouldn't do anything because they were also trying to sleep and just said screw it. I did politely inform them of the dogs incessant barking and they even bought a ultrasonic barking deterrent after I suggested it as they had absolutely no idea of how to discipline the dogs. The deterrent worked initially but the dogs adapted to the tone and started up again. I suggested that they get the dogs professionally trained but they never did because they were only interested in a quick fix. The end result were endless days and nights filled with the sharp report of 115 decibel barks. Other neighbors started calling the cops on them and I could't blame them, one even left them a threatening letter which the dog owner thought could have been us but couldn't be sure. I did end up also calling the police on them thinking it would be a big enough inconvenience to just get the dogs trained but nope they refused. After going through law enforcement, code enforcement, and the city their dogs still barked. We ended up getting in some heated arguments due to the stress from being unable to sleep on a graveyard shift, it was quite literally ruining my health. After doing similar things as you did and making every moment they saw me stressful they ended up moving. It was one of the most relieving moments ever. Sad that I had to basically be a neighbor from hell, albeit only to them, to get them to leave.
They were the neighbor from hell, don't kid yourself.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:12 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalfusions View Post

Actions speak louder than words.

I have dealt with people who outwardly seem quite nice. But then you make ANY sort of reasonable request (turn down music, down smoke right outside my door, etc) of them......and they either totally blow you off, or they get downright hostile.

An off-the-shelf ultrasonic dog-silencer is quite limited in its output........most dogs will adapt to the noise after a while. That is why you have to amplify the output...at a HIGH level.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:11 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
I had this trouble in NYC when I lived in apartment buildings. I purchased a BOAT HORN. You know the horns you hear on the football field or from boats on the water.

I had to train my neighbors that if they made noise the boat horn gets pointed at their door and it will blow continuously until I can hear people getting annoyed.

The noise eventually stopped once the puppies were trained.

Fight fire with fire my friend. There is no other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: