Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 07:25 PM

69 posts, read 60,462 times

Advertisements

I'm initially form NYC, but relocated a few years ago to the DC metro area. I'm very fortunate, because my job is 100% telework (meaning I work from home and can practically live anywhere in the country).

I have never lived on the West Coast, but I've always enjoyed visiting San Diego.

Although I was initially interested in moving further South (to reduce my living cost), I'm now starting to realize that maybe it is best for me to spend a few years on the West Coast, since it has everything that I'm looking for. I'm just a little concerned because I have no friends or family in San Diego.

As an aside: Is anyone familiar with the following apartment complex: Ariva Apartments Clairemont Mesa San Diego

Is this property centrally located next to the beach and nice restaurants.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Last edited by NorthernLass; 07-19-2015 at 07:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 08:09 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,891 times
San Diego is a fantastic place to live!

If you are looking for someplace to move that will reduce your living cost, this may not be the place, but if you're looking to experience living on the west coast, and you can afford it, then go for it.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:16 PM

807 posts, read 898,223 times
If you don't mind input from someone who is spotting those apartments on a map, I am at least familiar with that general region. They appear to be fairly new construction and I have not personally seen that complex.

I can understand how the sense of scale on a map is difficult to establish when looking up a place from far away.

With your top priorities as the beach and good food, I would say that the location you picked is okay but far from ideal.

While it is not centrally located, you are at least right next to the largest cluster of authentic Asian restaurants in San Diego, over on Convoy between Clairemont Mesa and Balboa. There are a few places that are open late there too. However I believe that the other major cluster of fine dining are in the neighborhoods surrounding Downtown and the genres cover a wider variety. So food-wise, you would not be exactly central but at least you're next to one of the clusters.

Beach wise, you would not be that close to the beach. The route should be pretty direct from there but depending on traffic, I'd say you would still at minimum be about 20 minutes away (driving of course). There appears to be a fairly direct bus route to Pacific Beach, Route #27 from a station a few blocks away from you. One way fare is $2.25 and runs about 30-45 minutes depending on time of day.

Finally, when a person mentions Kearney Mesa, I tend to think of businesses, offices and factories for government contractors. Although it's true that the government contractor sector has been shrinking in Southern California as a whole for decades now.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:32 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Sounds like a good plan to me to try out West Coast living. Just don't expect to find NYC or DC out here. If you are looking at Ariva, you might want to check out Civita, which is just a bit further south of there and closer to more interesting neighborhoods. I think pricing is about the same. Both Ariva and Civita are less than 20 mins by car from the nearest beach.

I love DC and wouldn't mind living there for a couple years before coming back to SD. Good luck!

West Park Apartments for Rent in Mission Valley San Diego, CA - Civita Life

Old 07-20-2015, 04:40 AM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm also curious about the dating scene? Is San Diego a good place for a single person to meet others and have an active dating life?

Old 07-20-2015, 04:41 AM

Is La Jolla a better place to apartment hunt?

Old 07-20-2015, 06:48 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times
Apartments for Rent in La Jolla, CA - 83 Rentals

Old 07-20-2015, 10:17 AM

Has anyone relocated from the DC metro area to San Diego? If so, can you provide any feedback?

Old 07-20-2015, 10:43 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLass View Post
Has anyone relocated from the DC metro area to San Diego? If so, can you provide any feedback?
Yes, I did. I never want to live back east after living in SD. East vs West if very subjective and dependent on one's personality and goals in life in regards to whether it will be a good fit. For me, SD and the West Coast in general is just a much better fit. YMMV. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:10 AM

291 posts, read 397,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLass View Post
A good friend of mind did. Him and his gf moved out here from DC and loved the area. They stayed for about 3-4 years, but moved back to DC due to job prospects. After being in DC for a few years now, they want to move back to SD, lol.

Moral of the story: If you can afford it, you will likely enjoy it in SD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego