Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 01:06 PM

34 posts, read 35,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stizz44 View Post
Your right about one thing, if your a sucka Las Vegas will chew you and spit you out!
Las Vegas is a city for suckers and losers. Who else would willingly waste his life in that ugly and depressing desert hellhole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 03:12 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodosl View Post
It's even worse than this. You look at nearly every national indicator, and the USA is on the way down. It's kind of like California.

Now where to go from CA;

Mountains and jobs = Colorado
Beach and jobs = NC/GA (not Florida)
Warm people and creativity = Nashville
Techjobs = Austin
Nice Folks but horrbile winter= Minneapolis
Beach only = Florida, Charleston
Weather only= Coastal Cal.
Long term areas to raise a family= GA/SC/NC/TN/AL and possibly Texas.
Pretty accurate.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Safe to assume you havent been off the strip? Summerlin, Mountains Edge, Silverado Ranch, and Henderson are great areas in Las Vegas that are family oriented. My doctor in Vegas went to Harvard Medical school. Your right, school system could use improve but Las Vegas is a better option for someone from San Diego than half the cities named in this forum.

South Dakota? Pittsburgh? Wisconsin? Michigan? No way in hell these are better options than Las Vegas.

I suggest Las Vegas, Texas, Denver or bust!
Most people have no idea that people who live in Vegas (I did for a while) avoid the strip unless they have a job there. The TV image of LV is kinda like the TV image of OC, very little reality to it.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:00 PM

119 posts, read 147,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd92101 View Post
Las Vegas is a city for suckers and losers. Who else would willingly waste his life in that ugly and depressing desert hellhole?
Whats depressing about Las Vegas?

World Class Restaurants?
World Class Entertainment?
Communities with modern amenities?
Modern road design that eliminates traffic?
24 Hour Stores?
Good weather?
No state income tax?
A short drive to LA/SD?

Please enlighten me becuase from my experience anyone that associates Las Vegas with depression is probably an addicted gambler or drug abuser.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:25 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:

World Class Restaurants?
24 Hour Stores?
Good weather?
No state income tax?
A short drive to LA/SD?

Please enlighten me becuase from my experience anyone that associates Las Vegas with depression is probably an addicted gambler or drug abuser.
I was with you until good weather. It has arguably some of the worst weather in the US.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:12 AM

34 posts, read 35,761 times
Quote:

World Class Restaurants?
24 Hour Stores?
Good weather?
No state income tax?
A short drive to LA/SD?

I enjoy every minute, every day of living in San Diego and can care less about that desert city that you call home. So called world class restaurants and entertainment is for tourist to enjoy, not for locals. Majority of locals in Las Vegas can't afford those world class Restaurants and Entertainment. Locals go to Roberto Tacos and some unknown local joints, not to Wynn or Encore for lunch or dinner.

No money in this world would ever bring me back to that disgusting desert city, not even as a tourist unless I have to attend a conference.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:33 AM

136 posts, read 463,566 times
I moved to Las Vegas from San Diego when voters passed the retroactive income tax increase in 2012.
I really hated leaving California. It is a beautiful place- especially San Diego. It's just too bad that it is being run into the ground by politicians.

Las Vegas has it's issues, but there is freedom here. A a business-owner, I don't feel up against the corner with a gun to my head. Car registration, insurance, gas, taxes, housing, food is all cheaper here. I live a La Jolla lifestyle for Chula Vista prices.

I left CA and took my company with me.
More CA companies should leave so that Sacramento can learn a lesson. I wish CA could revive itself and once again have the #1 education system that it had 30 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd92101 View Post
No money in this world would ever bring me back to that disgusting desert city, not even as a tourist unless I have to attend a conference.

Last edited by youngmoney; 08-17-2015 at 05:42 AM..

Old 08-21-2015, 02:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmoney View Post

I left CA and took my company with me.
More CA companies should leave so that Sacramento can learn a lesson. I wish CA could revive itself and once again have the #1 education system that it had 30 years ago.
Several of the businesses I patronize moved operations to Nevada... these are small, maybe 20 to 40 employees in manufacturing... things like specialized medical equipment.

One was in San Diego that made the only approved container for sterilizing certain medical instruments...

As long as there are options... it is human nature to optimize.

Education in California changed forever when the State took over public school funding as a result of the Serrano v. Priest lawsuits... prior to this school funding was highly dependant on local revenue.

The idea was to fund all districts within a $100 per student so the wealthier districts would not have the economic advantage.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Education in California changed forever when the State took over public school funding as a result of the Serrano v. Priest lawsuits... prior to this school funding was highly dependant on local revenue.

The idea was to fund all districts within a $100 per student so the wealthier districts would not have the economic advantage.
Look how well that worked out.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:35 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Look how well that worked out.
The State takeover of local public school education funding was not without a big fight... thing is one court decision set the precedent... Texas has a similar court case that was eventually tossed out.

California has never been the same since and several of my San Diego friends either home schooled or went the private school route.

Those that left San Diego also left the State...

The Constraints of Prop 13 were later modified by the voters so that it no longer pertained to school construction and infrastructure... however, State control of public school funding remains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego