Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 08:38 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
I posted another thread specifically about Escondido but as I think about it we really need some general perspective of how locals view most of the areas...

Here is our profile:
I'm 39, wife is 30
First child on the way
$700k-$1m income in these last great few years. But could be in $500k in not so good
Bi-racial couple - I'm black and wife is white (not that this really matters but you never know :-)

Price Range:
Can spend $2m but prefer $1m-$1.5m

Home Preferences:
Coming from Dallas, TX so used to good size home and yard
Prefer 4000-5400 sqft
.5 - 2 acre
3 car minimum and pool
Older charming house or bespoke newer house

I think the above is important because the SUPER high rent districts won't fit. So we are looking for nicer areas with low crime, good views, schools, shopping etc.

Lets hear your personal opinions on how you would stack them!

When was the last time you were in San Diego and what did you like about it to want to move here.....where did you stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 09:41 PM

53 posts, read 64,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
When was the last time you were in San Diego and what did you like about it to want to move here.....where did you stay?

Stayed downtown. Like the weather, beauty, ocean, mountains, access to an international airport. Lived in Phx some as a kid. Love mountains or at least SOME topography. Also like access to nice roadtrips as CA is full of great drives! Why do I get the feeling this is some sort of trick question like you're going to try to convince me SD isn't for us LOL.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
Stayed downtown. Like the weather, beauty, ocean, mountains, access to an international airport. Lived in Phx some as a kid. Love mountains or at least SOME topography. Also like access to nice roadtrips as CA is full of great drives! Why do I get the feeling this is some sort of trick question like you're going to try to convince me SD isn't for us LOL.
Nope, no trick question. It just seems that you have the income to live in just about any area you want here but stuck on Escondido. Strange. Nothing wrong with Escondido but it is just not a magnate for the affluent. That being said there are some nice areas in Escondido. But.....there are some areas that are really nice, that are known for their beauty, ocean views, weather and your other needs:

Mission Hills-Historic houses, first affluent neighborhood in San Diego, views of downtown and the bay depending on where you live

Pt Loma-views of the ocean, bay

Coronado-small town feel but yet minutes to San Diego. Exclusive, beach town.

La Jolla-Nice beaches, nice views, nice people

Del Mar-more beaches, small,

Solana Beach-more beach, ocean trendy restaurants shopping district

Rancho Santa Fe-exclusive, hidden, quiet, topography, equestrian estates, golf courses, country clubs

Old 09-03-2015, 08:37 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
^^I'd add Cardiff to that list as well. Could get a killer ocean view property up on the hill with his budget

Old 09-03-2015, 08:57 AM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Fairbanks ranch

Old 09-05-2015, 11:09 PM

11 posts, read 19,832 times
Hello,

I am not that good in giving suggestion about areas and homes but there are already so many informative suggestion provided above. You should be able to figure out your dream house by following these points mentioned above.

I wish you all the luck for your new house!

Regards,

Old 09-06-2015, 12:48 AM

If I were in this income bracket I would have flown here for the long weekend.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:58 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,099 times
I would look at Mission Hills in addition to Mt. Helix area. Below are links to each area:

Mission Hills, San Diego, CA Real Estate & Homes for Sale | Trulia

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Here are Rancho Santa Fe possibilities:http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ice-na-2000000

Last edited by Yac; 09-09-2015 at 07:15 AM..

Old 09-06-2015, 09:18 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
If you make 700k you already know.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:23 PM

69 posts, read 76,303 times
I'm a single professional and your wife's age and moved back to La Mesa (happy a poster here mentioned La Mesa). While you aren't in the middle of the nightlife and it's not a "young and happening" part of town you are within 20 minutes or so from all of that. I find downtown La Mesa very quaint and cute. You have a library, small farmer's market, and a row of cute mom and pop restaurants and businesses. There's some bars here but definitely not trendy type of places. That being said IMO the only nice parts of La Mesa would be in downtown, by Lake Murray, or closer to Fletcher Hills. The neighborhood right next to Lake Murray when it technically becomes San Diego is also a very pretty neighborhood (is it considered San Carlos there?) with nice size houses. I just moved to a small complex in La Mesa and the people in my community seem on average to be 30 and 40 somethings with no kids (1-2 bedroom homes). La Mesa though is a nice mix of being family oriented and with singles. The schools here also seem fairly good.

With your price range though and wanting somewhat of a nice view maybe Carmel Valley and Poway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego