Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 07:16 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
No guarantee they will move, the owner might ask me to move if I am uncomfortable, and under current CA law the food establishment can only ask the owner if their dog is a service animal. Per the restaurant owners I have spoken with, if they deny seating to the pet owner or ask for proof they can be sued. Fkn ridiculous.
Talk to a Manager and if they don't do anything tell them why you won't be back. Then track down the owner and repeat it.

We were in HD and this man had a dog that literally scratched most of it's hair off except for spots it couldn't reach. It was covered in scabs and had open sores. If I saw that in a restaurant I'd beat feet. Disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 07:50 AM

31 posts, read 38,007 times
Your wrong that we don't have to proof our dog is a service dog.
I have a service dog and he has a ID. A Business owner can ask to see his ID but can't legally ask what my disability is.
By the way my service dog is hypoallergenic so there goes the I'm allergic court case!

Old 09-09-2015, 07:51 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
Quote:
actually, I have seen service people (baristas, ice cream servers, cashiers taking my food order, etc.) come from behind the counter to pet what they deemed a cute dog only to then serve food without having washed their hands...sorry, but I definitely prefer my food without dog hairs and fleas.
Bleh. I've seen that too. I'm just not a dog person really myself - and I hate that people infer that it's some sort of moral failing.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:19 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Good to know...I will confirm this morning with SD Board of Health. I suppose I can take a photo on my phone and send it to them when I observe what seems like an obvious violation--assuming the Board of Health will respond and follow up....your legitimate service dog is hypoallergenic, but I would be willing to bet not all non service dogs are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisvuitton1 View Post
Your wrong that we don't have to proof our dog is a service dog.
I have a service dog and he has a ID. A Business owner can ask to see his ID but can't legally ask what my disability is.
By the way my service dog is hypoallergenic so there goes the I'm allergic court case!

Old 09-09-2015, 08:29 AM

31 posts, read 38,007 times
Quote:
Good to know...I will confirm this morning with SD Board of Health. I suppose I can take a photo on my phone and send it to them when I observe what seems like an obvious violation--assuming the Board of Health will respond and follow up....your legitimate service dog is hypoallergenic, but I would be willing to bet not all non service dogs are.
True..

Old 09-09-2015, 08:35 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseOne View Post
.poop bags are everywhere, or people ask if you need one. People don't always comply, but they usually do. Sucks that dog owners in SD are abusing their privilege.
The other day I was taking a walk in Encinitas and I noticed there were ***3 poop bags .....sitting on the sidewalk NEXT TO A TRASHCAN. GET REAL !

Old 09-09-2015, 10:37 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
I made a thread about, how bad this was getting 4 years ago. That thread has since been moved but is still active.
I seen people walking and running with their dogs during this recent heat wave.
I've gotten use to seeing dogs in Home Depot and Lowes. We are in a, look at me, Selfie, narcissistic society so I am not surprised on the increase in dogs patronage of restaurants, coffee shops.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:47 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
I agree dogs shouldn't be allowed inside places that serve food. I don't see a problem bringing dogs to other public places where food is not served

Old 09-09-2015, 11:12 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Or hotels that allow pets. I love pets, but I stayed at a pet-friendly hotel once (didn't know it was pet-friendly when I booked it) and I kept feeling my ankles getting bitten as I sat in the room. I would bet that there were fleas in the room from a prior guest with a dog.

I live in Kansas City, not California, but we have a Rock N Brews with a pet-friendly patio. I went there one evening and it was a nice evening and I wanted to enjoy the patio. But the patio was FULL of dogs and my husband is squeamish about things like dog hair flying in his food and refused to sit on the patio, so we sat inside. I personally would have sat out there, but he didn't want to.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:47 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
I have a message into the City of SD Attorney's office, CA Health Department, and Scott Peter's office asking for clarification as to whether proof is required....seems to me it would be--a handicapped person needs to place a placard (proof) in their vehicle when parking in a handicapped space and a person needs to prove they are 21 to buy alcohol.

Will let you know if/what I hear back.....if it is the food establishment choosing to turn a blind eye to the law so as not to offend a potential customer, I will contact the local Board of Health (assuming they actually do their job, will show up, and enforce laws).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego