Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 01:05 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I have a message into the City of SD Attorney's office, CA Health Department, and Scott Peter's office asking for clarification as to whether proof is required....seems to me it would be--a handicapped person needs to place a placard (proof) in their vehicle when parking in a handicapped space and a person needs to prove they are 21 to buy alcohol.

Will let you know if/what I hear back.....if it is the food establishment choosing to turn a blind eye to the law so as not to offend a potential customer, I will contact the local Board of Health (assuming they actually do their job, will show up, and enforce laws).
You are never going to get clarification on this subject. Most business don't want to upset their dog Friendly customers so they are not going to approach, nor say anything to dog owners.
Bottom Line > Principals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 01:09 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
then I can always snap a picture of the obvious violator (20 something with his dog on its hind legs reaching up to the counter eating food samples intended for human consumption ), send it to the Board of Health, and see if they will enforce the law and/or force the establishment to post in their front window a low letter grade relative to health code compliance....I'm not going to be consumed (no pun intended) with this; however, I eat out every single meal and have done so since 1987. As you can imagine, I see many infractions on a weekly basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
You are never going to get clarification on this subject. Most business don't want to upset their dog Friendly customers so they are not going to approach, nor say anything to dog owners.
Bottom Line > Principals

Old 09-09-2015, 01:14 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I eat out every single meal and have done so since 1987

Old 09-09-2015, 01:22 PM

I tried barbecueing spaghetti once but the pasta kept on falling in the grill...perhaps had I laid the strands of pasta perpendicular to the grill I would have had more success and continued cooking.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:14 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I made a thread about, how bad this was getting 4 years ago. That thread has since been moved but is still active.
I seen people walking and running with their dogs during this recent heat wave.
I've gotten use to seeing dogs in Home Depot and Lowes. We are in a, look at me, Selfie, narcissistic society so I am not surprised on the increase in dogs patronage of restaurants, coffee shops.
Dog Attacks 3-Year-Old Boy Inside Murrieta Lowe's | NBC 7 San Diego

I'm not surprised anymore to see them in Lowes and Home Depot - I lived in Temecula when this attack happened and frequented that particular store. I was in there not even a week after the attack and saw multiple dogs with their owners.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:31 PM

24 posts, read 18,788 times
I've been in the restaurant business along time and see more and more customers pushing the limits on stretching the truth when it comes to service animals. The guidance from my lawyer is its legal and within normal boundaries to ask two questions. First is your animal a service dog (animal)?
Second what is the service animals function ? After that as a business person you have to use your best judgement on the next move. Ask them to leave, relocate them to another area of the restaurant. Either move opens up a huge liability. What makes restaurants scared to take action on the abuse is the cost of laibility insurance. Liability and workmens comp insurance use to be considered a non controllable cost in the industry. Now we have to manage those lines like a controlled cost on the p&l. That makes the risk vrs reward on calling BS on a customer a very difficult decision.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:38 PM

what actions do you suggest people such as myself take...clearly, I am of the belief the owner should be forced to provide proof their pet is a service animal just as a person who parks in a handicapped space needs to leave a visible placard on their rear view mirror. How can I help the restaurant industry in California with this matter??...I would love your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexz View Post
I've been in the restaurant business along time and see more and more customers pushing the limits on stretching the truth when it comes to service animals. The guidance from my lawyer is its legal and within normal boundaries to ask two questions. First is your animal a service dog (animal)?
Second what is the service animals function ? After that as a business person you have to use your best judgement on the next move. Ask them to leave, relocate them to another area of the restaurant. Either move opens up a huge liability. What makes restaurants scared to take action on the abuse is the cost of laibility insurance. Liability and workmens comp insurance use to be considered a non controllable cost in the industry. Now we have to manage those lines like a controlled cost on the p&l. That makes the risk vrs reward on calling BS on a customer a very difficult decision.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:52 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Service Animal program is highly abused and it's no secret. With dogs fast becoming pseudo human I would only expect this trend to continue.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:34 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Service Animal program is highly abused and it's no secret. With dogs fast becoming pseudo human I would only expect this trend to continue.
Exactly
As i Mentioned above, it's a fight that's not really winnable. Too many wacko people out there that think, dogs and cats have the same right as Humans.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:31 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
My concerns are mostly as a landlord to remain in compliance with the law while protecting my property. It hasn't come up yet but I do not want pets in my rentals any more. I did in the past allow pets but the last move-out - well, no more pets. My understanding is that the bar for "emotional support animal" is pretty low and I could be forced to take a renter with one....

Years ago , I watched some special on TLC (?), called "My Monkey Baby" or something like that One of the women had a monkey as a emotional support animal. It seemed that town she lived in, the shop owners didn't want the monkey in their grocery stores and restaurants anymore. Anyway, the thing that really sqigged me out was she took it clothes shopping and tried different outfits on the monkey at a childrens store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego