Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 01:55 PM

Location: Undisclosed location in the American desert Southwest
188 posts, read 480,948 times

Advertisements

I'm not saying they are the exact same. San Diego definitely has a better climate and is probably a nicer place to live. Houston has a much better economy, cost of living, and lower taxes.

I've lived in both place and the things I've found they have in common...

The heat, the humidity, the constant burning sun, the ignorant, uneducated, unsophisticated people, the car culture, lack of quality that people expect i.e. no good coffee shops, clothing stores, bakeries, wine shops etc. People like there generic mass produced crap which is fine but it's hard to find any thing of quality in both places. Just a general feeling of apathy in this place, too many middle aged boogey boarders, just a general dullness of a lot of the people unfortunately.

People have always said how nice the climate is in San Diego, well I've lived here for three years and people keep telling me the humidity and heat we've been experiencing is an anomaly. Well, I have the feeling they are lying to themselves and me as well. This denial is obvious in that so many places here don't have air conditioning which people who have always lived here don't seem to notice or mind. It rarely gets much below 70 degrees at night for much of the year and is commonly 85-90+ during the day.

San Diego is a nice place for sure but honestly is not as nice a place as people make it out to be. The city overall seems very run down and a general apathy permeates everything.

The constant sun is oppressive and the military complex has definitely set the tone for this place. With all of the current and retired military workers who often are double or triple dipping off the government by working in one government agency, retiring, receiving pensions and healthcare for that and then working in another government agency to receive even more benefits they are really just leaching off the real workers who actually add value to the economy. I'm sorry but I'm not going to thank you for your service. You receive a ton of benefits and security that nobody in the private sector could ever dream of.

Maybe a better description of San Diego is the white trash version of Washington D.C. in terms of the governmental influence. A lot of intolerant, puffed up, crude, intolerant military people here. A lack of intellectual curiosity is rampant here.

Hopefully nobody is too put off by analysis but it's just my opinion and maybe I went a little too far and maybe it didn't go far enough. I didn't even touch on a few subjects that might be create too much animosity...but if anyone wants to hear more I can let you know.

Let me know if anyone agrees... I like San Diego, it is a really nice place geographically and climate wise, but the lack of culture, poor economy, stifling governmental and military influence can make it a pretty depressing place to live in some regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 02:24 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,443,518 times
If we want to compare Texas to California, this is my simplistic take.

San Francisco/Oakland is more like Austin with the liberal factor.

Los Angeles and OC are more like Dallas FTW or Houston with the large suburban sprawl for miles on end with all three city's have lots of great wealth.

Bakersfield and Fresno are like the Rio Grande Valley, agriculturally driven economies and somewhat oppressive places to live.

El Centro and Calexico are comparable to El Paso as all are dry and arid climates found in international border regions.

San Diego is more like San Antonio being the state's 3rd city with the military presence and tourism with theme parks. Throw in Corpus Christi which is an hour and a half drive from SA for the beach experience.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:33 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,661,204 times
It's been a while since I lived in San Diego, but comparing it to Houston is a bit much. I'm not sure I'd live in Houston if someone gave me a house and paid all my expenses.

"The heat, the humidity, the constant burning sun, the ignorant, uneducated, unsophisticated people, the car culture, lack of quality that people expect i.e. no good coffee shops, clothing stores, bakeries, wine shops etc."

Since when is San Diego hot and humid? At least not in comparison to Houston. As for the "constant burning sun.." LOL. In Houston, maybe, but let's face it, San Diego is about as close to perfect as you're going to find in the USA.

And I wouldn't call the people in San Diego ignorant and uneducated.

As for the military presence? It's always been that way. Nothing to worry about, really. That pours lots of money into the local economy.

A "white trash" version of Washington DC? I don't think so. No even close. I've lived in the DC area, too. And there, it really i all about the government. Not so in San Diego.

The bottom line: San Diego is a nice place to be if you can afford to be by the beach and if you the income to support that lifestyle.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:43 PM

Valid points on all counts

Old 10-10-2015, 04:53 PM

1,082 posts, read 826,620 times
I guess my first thought is "huh?" Houston does NOT EVEN compare to SD in any way, shape, or form. I guess everyone has their own perspective though. What John7777 said is pretty spot on.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:55 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,358,789 times
SD = Houston? LOL! Ha, ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Are you kidding? I don't think anyone would be "put off" by your opinion. They are probably too busy laughing.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:29 PM

I don't think so. The weather in August-October is pretty similar. Perhaps hotter and more humidity here versus what we're led to believe. The lack of culture, emphasis on education, general sophistication and intellectual curiosity is very similar. I see these similarities amongst many places in the U.S. the further south you go.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:49 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,287,837 times
WHAT? In what bizzarro world? Absolutely NOTHING alike in any shape or form. And, taxes were actually more in Harris County, on a lesser house, than here in North San Diego County.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:55 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,358,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
WHAT? In what bizzarro world? Absolutely NOTHING alike in any shape or form. And, taxes were actually more in Harris County, on a lesser house, than here in North San Diego County.
LOL. Exactly ShelbyGirl. You were probably laughing as hard as I was.

Houston is a dump (outside of a few neighborhoods). I lived in Texas for 8 years. Friendly people and it was nice not having state income taxes. But they typically find ways to get you on taxes. As you mentioned, the property taxes are ABSOLUTELY BRUTAL. My property taxes were approaching 3% per year in Texas.

One summer there were 50+ days in a row of 100+ weather in Dallas.

Funny to see people trying to compare cities like Houston to San Diego saying they are similar.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:06 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,394,272 times
I sure hope not. I'd be out of here in a flash if that was the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego